Types not compatable 
Author Message
 Types not compatable

Please, if you would, apply your wisdom to this little problem.

----First source file----
MODULE X;
TYPE
  XRec * = RECORD
    I * : INTEGER;
    S * : ARRAY 13 OF CHAR
  END;
VAR
  XItem * : XRec;
END X.

----Second source file----
MODULE Y;

IMPORT
  X, Out;

TYPE
  YRec = RECORD
    I : INTEGER;
    S : ARRAY 13 OF CHAR
  END
VAR
  YItem : YRec;
BEGIN

  Out.Int(X.XItem.I, 2);
  Out.String(X.XItem.S);
  Out.String(YItem.S)

END Y.

----The problem----

Module X compiles without errors.

Module Y compies and give  "types not compatable" for X.XItem.S in
Out.String.

It doesn't have any problem with X.XItem.I in Out.Int or the YItem.S in the
second Out.String.

I'm sure I'm missing something, and it's probably going to be a forehead
slapper, but I can't figure out what.

    - Bill



Sun, 09 Nov 2003 11:44:30 GMT  
 Types not compatable

Quote:

> Please, if you would, apply your wisdom to this little problem.

> ----First source file----
> MODULE X;
> TYPE
>   XRec * = RECORD
>     I * : INTEGER;
>     S * : ARRAY 13 OF CHAR
>   END;
> VAR
>   XItem * : XRec;
> END X.

> ----Second source file----
> MODULE Y;

> IMPORT
>   X, Out;

> TYPE
>   YRec = RECORD
>     I : INTEGER;
>     S : ARRAY 13 OF CHAR
>   END
> VAR
>   YItem : YRec;
> BEGIN

>   Out.Int(X.XItem.I, 2);
>   Out.String(X.XItem.S);
>   Out.String(YItem.S)

> END Y.

> ----The problem----

> Module X compiles without errors.

> Module Y compies and give  "types not compatable" for X.XItem.S in
> Out.String.

> It doesn't have any problem with X.XItem.I in Out.Int or the YItem.S in the
> second Out.String.

> I'm sure I'm missing something, and it's probably going to be a forehead
> slapper, but I can't figure out what.

>     - Bill

It generally helps to find the problem if the environment is
specified in any detail necessary. Basic pieces of information
that might be helpful are which ObSys (including the exact
version) which OS if the ObSys is hosted or if it is a stand
alone compiler.
I didn't find any error message "types not compatable". I'm also
not quite sure what it means "Module Y compies and give ...".
Would you like to post some more details?
I typed that in and I could compile it fine. I didn't run it
because this doesn't make sense.


Sun, 09 Nov 2003 15:25:06 GMT  
 Types not compatable
Well you're missing a semicolon after the END in the declaration
of YRec, but that's a syntax error, not a type mismatch error.
I compiled module Y (after adding the semicolon) without incident.

Quote:

>Please, if you would, apply your wisdom to this little problem.

>----First source file----
>MODULE X;
>TYPE
>  XRec * = RECORD
>    I * : INTEGER;
>    S * : ARRAY 13 OF CHAR
>  END;
>VAR
>  XItem * : XRec;
>END X.

>----Second source file----
>MODULE Y;

>IMPORT
>  X, Out;

>TYPE
>  YRec = RECORD
>    I : INTEGER;
>    S : ARRAY 13 OF CHAR
>  END
>VAR
>  YItem : YRec;
>BEGIN

>  Out.Int(X.XItem.I, 2);
>  Out.String(X.XItem.S);
>  Out.String(YItem.S)

>END Y.

>----The problem----

>Module X compiles without errors.

>Module Y compies and give  "types not compatable" for X.XItem.S in
>Out.String.

>It doesn't have any problem with X.XItem.I in Out.Int or the YItem.S in the
>second Out.String.

>I'm sure I'm missing something, and it's probably going to be a forehead
>slapper, but I can't figure out what.

>    - Bill

------------------------------------------------------------
 Get your FREE web-based e-mail and newsgroup access at:
                http://www.*-*-*.com/
------------------------------------------------------------
Guns don't kill people...bullets do
(Pistol {*filter*} exception already noted)

"I suppose that human beings looking at it would say that arms are the most
dangerous things that a dictator, a tyrant needs to fear.  But in fact, no -
it is when people decide they want to be free. Once they have made up their
minds to that, there is nothing that will stop them." -- Desmond Tutu



Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:02:55 GMT  
 Types not compatable

Quote:
> It generally helps to find the problem if the environment is
> specified in any detail necessary. Basic pieces of information
> that might be helpful are which ObSys (including the exact
> version) which OS if the ObSys is hosted or if it is a stand
> alone compiler.

Oberon-M 1.2 in a DOS window under Windows Me.
I figured that wouldn't matter since the problem occurred in a somewhat
large program.  Posting the entire large program (and it's twenty modules)
seemed rather insane, so I worked up a minimal example which demonstrated
the error.

Quote:
> I didn't find any error message "types not compatable"

I was afraid that might be the case.
I picked at this for a while before arriving at the thought that it might
just be a compiler bug.

Quote:
> I'm also not quite sure what it means "Module Y compies and give ..."

Typo.  Should have been "...when compiled gives..."

Quote:
> Would you like to post some more details?

I was actually trying to reduce the details to focus on the error itself
rather loose it in the vaster picture.

Quote:
> I typed that in and I could compile it fine. I didn't run it
> because this doesn't make sense.

No, it doesn't.  I guess I've delt with C debugging for so long that I
extracted a minimal failing set without thinking about it.

    - Bill



Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:16:45 GMT  
 Types not compatable

Quote:
> Well you're missing a semicolon after the END in the declaration
> of YRec, but that's a syntax error, not a type mismatch error.

I lost that (and a couple of other semis) during cut and paste.  I thought
I'd fixed them all.

Quote:
> I compiled module Y (after adding the semicolon) without incident.

I thought that might be the case.  I'm pretty sure I've got a compiler bug
here now.

Thanks for taking the time.

    - Bill



Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:18:49 GMT  
 Types not compatable

Quote:



> > It generally helps to find the problem if the environment is
> > specified in any detail necessary. Basic pieces of information
> > that might be helpful are which ObSys (including the exact
> > version) which OS if the ObSys is hosted or if it is a stand
> > alone compiler.

> Oberon-M 1.2 in a DOS window under Windows Me.
> I figured that wouldn't matter since the problem occurred in a somewhat
> large program.  Posting the entire large program (and it's twenty modules)
> seemed rather insane, so I worked up a minimal example which demonstrated
> the error.

This *is* the best way.
Is Oberon-M a interpreter based implementation?

Quote:
> > I didn't find any error message "types not compatable"

> I was afraid that might be the case.
> I picked at this for a while before arriving at the thought that it might
> just be a compiler bug.

> > I'm also not quite sure what it means "Module Y compies and give ..."

> Typo.  Should have been "...when compiled gives..."

> > Would you like to post some more details?

> I was actually trying to reduce the details to focus on the error itself
> rather loose it in the vaster picture.

The details are present.

Quote:
> > I typed that in and I could compile it fine. I didn't run it
> > because this doesn't make sense.

> No, it doesn't.  I guess I've delt with C debugging for so long that I
> extracted a minimal failing set without thinking about it.

>     - Bill

Did you check about new sym file generation? If you already
generated
a different version of Y and changed the visibility of field S
you
would normally have to tell the compiler to overwrite the
existing
sym file.


Mon, 10 Nov 2003 05:12:24 GMT  
 Types not compatable

Quote:

> > Oberon-M 1.2 in a DOS window under Windows Me.
> > I figured that wouldn't matter since the problem occurred in a somewhat
> > large program.  Posting the entire large program (and it's twenty
modules)
> > seemed rather insane, so I worked up a minimal example which
demonstrated
> > the error.

> This *is* the best way.

Well, I always thought so, but the fellow I was responding to seemed to
think otherwise.

Quote:
> Is Oberon-M a interpreter based implementation?

It's an 8086 MS-DOS based compiler.  Generates standard Microsoft .OBJ
files.

Quote:
> > I was actually trying to reduce the details to focus on the error itself
> > rather loose it in the vaster picture.

> The details are present.

I thought so but I figured maybe he had reasons for wanting more than what I
provided.

Quote:
> Did you check about new sym file generation? If you already
> generated a different version of Y and changed the visibility of
> field S you would normally have to tell the compiler to overwrite
> the existing sym file.

I thought of that, so I did a clean build (deleted all .obj and .ref files)
and tried again.

Same failure.

I'm pretty sure it's the compiler.

    - Bill



Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:16:58 GMT  
 Types not compatable
Is this the Videcki compiler?  Did anyone ever correspond with him?  Did a
second version of his effort ever show up?


Quote:

> It's an 8086 MS-DOS based compiler.  Generates standard Microsoft .OBJ
> files.

...

Quote:

> I thought of that, so I did a clean build (deleted all .obj and .ref
files)
> and tried again.

> Same failure.

> I'm pretty sure it's the compiler.

>     - Bill



Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:32:04 GMT  
 Types not compatable
I don't know if it is Videcki compiler, but I remember having and using
Oberon-M (10 years ago). The original version was for Oberon (not Oberon-2)
and it did not have gc. I think there was a second version. I might even
have it on some of my floppies.

Anes



Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:14:50 GMT  
 Types not compatable

Quote:
> Is this the Videcki compiler?

Videki.  Yes.

Quote:
> Did anyone ever correspond with him?

I've tried e-mail (nothing current) and post (no response, but the letter
didn't come back either).

I did a Deja search for him, but the most recent message I found was 1991 or
1992.

Quote:
> Did a second version of his effort ever show up?

I've got version 1.2.
The one in widest distribution (I've found a dozen or more copies) is 1.1.

    - Bill



Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:00:07 GMT  
 Types not compatable

Quote:
> I don't know if it is Videcki compiler, but I remember having and using
> Oberon-M (10 years ago). The original version was for Oberon (not
Oberon-2)
> and it did not have gc

I've got 1.2, the third and, as far as I can find, final version.

Still no garbage collector, still only Oberon.

Quote:
> I think there was a second version. I might even have it on some of my

floppies.

If you've got something later than 1.2, i'd be very interested.

For that matter, if anyone has a reference for another Oberon compiler that
will target DOS in REAL mode, I'd be interested in that as well.  I'm
developing under Windows Me, but my actual target is a 7MHz 8086 system with
640K of RAM.

    - Bill



Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:03:11 GMT  
 Types not compatable
It is dangerous for me to rely on memory from '91 or '92, but my thoughts
are that there was e{*filter*}ment followed by disappointment and then rudeness
when this compiler was announced.  So far as I know, no one ever reported
actual contact with Videcki.  Seemed like something from the X files.

I had used the Logitech .OBJ compiler in the late 80s, and I had the focus
that "standard" .Obj file and third party linkers were important (boy does
that seem like '80s thinking)

I put a rudimentary "Display" and "toyFrame" up on a 8088 machine with
a full page monitor.   Back in the days when you could get schematics and
I/O port detail.  The monitor adapter died, and I never did more work
with the compiler.  I have some memory that there were discrepancies
from my other Oberon experience, and I had to do a lot of workaround.

I am typically either an early adopter, or a late adopter.  There was no
late adopter period with Videcki, so I must have used the very first
release.

I don't know if the old Deja archives still hold this time period.  My
archives
have crashed.  But there was a lot of discussion back then.


Quote:


> > Is this the Videcki compiler?

> Videki.  Yes.

> > Did anyone ever correspond with him?

> I've tried e-mail (nothing current) and post (no response, but the letter
> didn't come back either).

> I did a Deja search for him, but the most recent message I found was 1991
or
> 1992.

> > Did a second version of his effort ever show up?

> I've got version 1.2.
> The one in widest distribution (I've found a dozen or more copies) is 1.1.

>     - Bill



Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:41:38 GMT  
 Types not compatable

Quote:
> It is dangerous for me to rely on memory from '91 or '92, but my thoughts
> ((..omitted..))

You're memory is pretty good.  What I got out of Deja/Google seems to
support your recollections.

Uh, what Logitech?  They had an Oberon compiler?

Quote:
> I don't know if the old Deja archives still hold this time period.  My
> archives have crashed.  But there was a lot of discussion back then.

They do... to an extent.  I've found parts of threads from him and/or to
him.

    - Bill



Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:34:54 GMT  
 Types not compatable
Once upon a time, I used Edipar DOS Oberon.
That was probably about 5 years ago though, and I don't think it's
available anymore.
At the time, it was shareware/freeware and emitted buggy code.  The web
site was http://www.interlog.com/~edipar/oberon.html, although that's
gone 404 by now.  At the time, I sent a few bug reports to the author,
who responded and fixed some of them.
IIRC, the provided libraries weren't great.  I remember an Oakwood-style
InOut library, everything else escapes me.

If you're desperately interested, I can hunt through my disks and see if
I've still got it.
My guess is you're developing for a PC104 target.  Is that right? :)

Graham

Quote:

> For that matter, if anyone has a reference for another Oberon compiler that
> will target DOS in REAL mode, I'd be interested in that as well.  I'm
> developing under Windows Me, but my actual target is a 7MHz 8086 system with
> 640K of RAM.

>     - Bill



Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:48:55 GMT  
 
 [ 28 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. type(type) is an object, not an instance

2. FAX software compatable with 4b

3. General GUI OOPS Language for X/MS Windows (source compatable)

4. COMPATABLE-FORTH STANDARD (long)

5. ANS Forth & Compatable Forth

6. Is LabView compatable with Windows 2000?

7. Ping Function compatable with Rexx

8. General GUI OOPS Language for X/MS Windows (source compatable)

9. FREE WAV/AVI to MPEG Encoders compatable with VRML

10. is x86 compatable with new processors i.e Pentium 4

11. BIOS Emulator for 8088 non IBM Compatable system

12. VRML97 Compatable Browsers?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software