Oberon-System for INtel PC's
Author Message
 Oberon-System for INtel PC's

I hear rumors about an Oberon-Operating System beeing developed for
Intel-x86 PC's. Is this correct? Is it free? Where is it?

Any hints will be appreciated

Robert Lichtenberger

Tue, 02 Sep 1997 16:26:06 GMT
 Oberon-System for INtel PC's

Quote:

>I hear rumors about an Oberon-Operating System beeing developed for
>Intel-x86 PC's. Is this correct? Is it free? Where is it?

I think you need to get out more! (humor intended) It's a semantic detail
dealing with the meaning of rumor and when it stops being a rumor... but,
Oberon Systems for the PC have been avaialble since 1991.  You can get
several versions for the PC from ETH:  a) standalone (with a proprietary
DOS extender that places unusual restrictions on your config.sys) or b)
running under Windows.  Or, if you want one that runs using a DPMI server:
c) my version of System V2 (V4 release is very very close).

The ETH versions can be obtained from: neptune.inf.ethz.ch:/pub/Oberon
My system and other stuff can be obtained from:
ftp.clark.net:/pub/thutt/distrib/V2.

Quote:
>Any hints will be appreciated

Hint for getting along in c.l.o: comp.lang.oberon is no place to discuss gun
issues.

Taylor Hutt, Self-appointed nice guy
I heard a rumor that Elvis was living in my sister's garage!

Tue, 02 Sep 1997 20:34:39 GMT
 Oberon-System for INtel PC's

------------------------------ Start of body part 1

Quote:

> >I hear rumors about an Oberon-Operating System beeing developed for
> >Intel-x86 PC's. Is this correct? Is it free? Where is it?
> I think you need to get out more! (humor intended) It's a semantic detail
> dealing with the meaning of rumor and when it stops being a rumor... but,
> Oberon Systems for the PC have been avaialble since 1991.  You can get
> several versions for the PC from ETH:  a) standalone (with a proprietary
> DOS extender that places unusual restrictions on your config.sys) or b)
> running under Windows.  Or, if you want one that runs using a DPMI server:
> c) my version of System V2 (V4 release is very very close).

> The ETH versions can be obtained from: neptune.inf.ethz.ch:/pub/Oberon
> My system and other stuff can be obtained from:
> ftp.clark.net:/pub/thutt/distrib/V2.

My Oberon port to OS/2 2.x/Warp is located in
   ftp: hades.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/OberonV4/OS_2

But I think R. Lichtenberger means an article in Dec issue of ETH Oberon News-
letter where a native INTEL OBERON system is described.
The Newsletter can be retrieved vom
  ftp: neptune.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/Newsletter

or look directly at WWW-URL

  http://www.ruca.ua.ac.be/Memex/Oberon

D.Steiner (author of OS2oberon)

------------------------------ Start of body part 2

VMSmail To information: CERBER::MRGATE::"SWITCH::1=CH::2=ARCOM::3=SWITCH::5=ethz::4=inf::6=oberon-news"
VMSmail CC information: SDA
Sender's personal name: Daniel Steiner

------------------------------ End of body part 2

Tue, 02 Sep 1997 21:52:16 GMT
 Oberon-System for INtel PC's

Quote:
>I hear rumors about an Oberon-Operating System beeing developed for
>Intel-x86 PC's. Is this correct? Is it free? Where is it?
>Any hints will be appreciated

Well I did find an article entitled something along the lines of,
"Implementing Oberon on the i386 Chip."  I think it's the Journal of
Pascal, Ada, and Modula.  In any event, I wanted it for my term paper
but the only place in the state of Maryland I could find it was the
Social Security Administration.

Mick Powers

p.s. no, I didn't bother trying to access their library.

Wed, 03 Sep 1997 02:14:58 GMT
 Oberon-System for INtel PC's

Quote:

>or look directly at WWW-URL

>  http://www.ruca.ua.ac.be/Memex/Oberon

The information at this site is dated November 18.  Does anyone have
more recent information on the native Intel Oberon port?

- Matt

Thu, 04 Sep 1997 12:24:46 GMT
 Oberon-System for INtel PC's

: >I hear rumors about an Oberon-Operating System beeing developed for
: >Intel-x86 PC's. Is this correct? Is it free? Where is it?

: I think you need to get out more! (humor intended) It's a semantic detail
: dealing with the meaning of rumor and when it stops being a rumor... but,
: Oberon Systems for the PC have been avaialble since 1991.  You can get
: several versions for the PC from ETH:  a) standalone (with a proprietary
: DOS extender that places unusual restrictions on your config.sys) or b)
: running under Windows.  Or, if you want one that runs using a DPMI server:
: c) my version of System V2 (V4 release is very very close).

: The ETH versions can be obtained from: neptune.inf.ethz.ch:/pub/Oberon
: My system and other stuff can be obtained from:
: ftp.clark.net:/pub/thutt/distrib/V2.

Nay, it's _you_ that did not get the point (or _me_ that can't express
himself in a foreign language). What I seek is not an OS + an Oberon
Implementation but an OS, sth. to kick out DOS! I have implementations for
Windooze & Linux already but that's not the point. I was just curious if
there's sth. like the operating System (-> Project Oberon) for the CERES but
for INTEL's.

:) Lichtenberger Robert

Now I hope it's clear what I'm searching for.

Fri, 05 Sep 1997 16:08:35 GMT

1. inquiry about Visual Oberon/PC Native Oberon System 3

2. Native Oberon System and Cheap PCs

3. ANNOUNCE: PC Native Oberon Operating System

4. Quad precision on Intel's PC

5. Intel's BLD386.EXE system builder

6. Oberon Support for dual Pentium II pc's

7. Networking PC's with Oberon

8. Using Oberon on X11 PC's

9. Oberon for PC/MS-DOS (cont'd.)

10. Oberon System 3 v2.3 for Windows screen won't maximize

11. Announcement: Ulm's Oberon System

12. ftp-site for Zurich's oberon system in Germany