POW! 3.0a/32 fern-example
Author Message
 POW! 3.0a/32 fern-example

Hi !
I installed POW! 3.0a/32 on my PC without problems, but
had problems already with the fern example.
(Error 400: file not found symbol file for module Winbase)
I 'fixed' it by removing the function Winbase and got my fractal fern,
but when I tried to use RandomNumbers, which was used in fern,
in a new program, I got the error 400 message again, now for
symbol file for module RandomNumbers.
Did anybody encounter similar problems ?

Sincerely

Hendrik

Wed, 07 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 POW! 3.0a/32 fern-example

Quote:

> Hi !
> I installed POW! 3.0a/32 on my PC without problems, but
> had problems already with the fern example.
> (Error 400: file not found symbol file for module Winbase)
> I 'fixed' it by removing the function Winbase and got my fractal fern,
> but when I tried to use RandomNumbers, which was used in fern,
> in a new program, I got the error 400 message again, now for
> symbol file for module RandomNumbers.
> Did anybody encounter similar problems ?

> Sincerely

> Hendrik

That's odd.  I just tried it on my computer without any problems.
Did you check to see if the WinBase file is actually there?

(On my computer it is in D:\Pow!\Oberon-2\WinApi )

My guess is that you don't have Pow installed correctly, but I
could be wrong.

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 POW! 3.0a/32 fern-example

Quote:
>That's odd.  I just tried it on my computer without any problems.
>Did you check to see if the WinBase file is actually there?

>(On my computer it is in D:\Pow!\Oberon-2\WinApi )

>My guess is that you don't have Pow installed correctly, but I
>could be wrong.

I once encountered a similar error which was due to a space-character in
some path name. Maybe that's the reason, or maybe it's an other special
character. Just a guess...

MB

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 POW! 3.0a/32 fern-example

Quote:

> > Hi !
> > I installed POW! 3.0a/32 on my PC without problems, but
> > had problems already with the fern example.
> > (Error 400: file not found symbol file for module Winbase)
> > I 'fixed' it by removing the function Winbase and got my fractal fern,
> > but when I tried to use RandomNumbers, which was used in fern,
> > in a new program, I got the error 400 message again, now for
> > symbol file for module RandomNumbers.
> > Did anybody encounter similar problems ?

> > Sincerely

> > Hendrik

> That's odd.  I just tried it on my computer without any problems.
> Did you check to see if the WinBase file is actually there?

> (On my computer it is in D:\Pow!\Oberon-2\WinApi )

> My guess is that you don't have Pow installed correctly, but I
> could be wrong.

  The Winbase file is there.
  How should I know whether POW was installed correctly or not?
  It is self installing and all four files were loaded without error
  messages or complaints by the system.
  Meanwhile in further use the application 'froze' and WIN98
  said it would close the POW program because it caused an
  page error in Modul Boosted32.ELL .
  All I had done was to widen the edit window, after restarting
  Windows from sleep mode.
  Then I had real difficulty to terminate POW.
  Only alt+str+entf did it.
  Maybe I'm pretty stupid, but maybe there is something rotten ?

  Sincerely

       Hendrik

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 POW! 3.0a/32 fern-example

Quote:

> > > Hi !
> > > I installed POW! 3.0a/32 on my PC without problems, but
> > > had problems already with the fern example.
> > > (Error 400: file not found symbol file for module Winbase)
> > > I 'fixed' it by removing the function Winbase and got my fractal fern,
> > > but when I tried to use RandomNumbers, which was used in fern,
> > > in a new program, I got the error 400 message again, now for
> > > symbol file for module RandomNumbers.
> > > Did anybody encounter similar problems ?

> > > Sincerely

> > > Hendrik

> > That's odd.  I just tried it on my computer without any problems.
> > Did you check to see if the WinBase file is actually there?

> > (On my computer it is in D:\Pow!\Oberon-2\WinApi )

> > My guess is that you don't have Pow installed correctly, but I
> > could be wrong.

>   The Winbase file is there.
>   How should I know whether POW was installed correctly or not?
>   It is self installing and all four files were loaded without error
>   messages or complaints by the system.

I really couldn't answer that.  At times using various Oberon
implementations I've had to install things more than once to get
it working right.  Then sometimes re-installation doesn't help.
One of those "free software" problems I guess.  :-)  I would
email the POW folks and see if they have anything to say.

Quote:
>   Meanwhile in further use the application 'froze' and WIN98

^^^^^^

Hmmmmm......

Quote:
>   said it would close the POW program because it caused an
>   page error in Modul Boosted32.ELL .
>   All I had done was to widen the edit window, after restarting
>   Windows from sleep mode.
>   Then I had real difficulty to terminate POW.
>   Only alt+str+entf did it.
>   Maybe I'm pretty stupid, but maybe there is something rotten ?

I wouldn't say that.  (the stupid part).  The "auto-install" stuff is
supposed to make things work right the first time.  The "Win98"
part is giving me pause though.  I've only used POW on Win95
and Windows NT.  Could it be that the "rotten" part is in Win98?
Has anyone else out there tried to use POW under Win98?
If you have access to another computer that has Windows NT
or Windows 95 on it, try installing POW there and see if you
get the same results.

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Pow! 3.0 32 Bit

2. ANNOUNCEMENT: development environment POW! 3.0a released

3. Examples for Linking External 32-Bit Dlls

4. 32 Bit examples

5. 0A against 0D 0A

6. 32 x 32 BMP Icons available for download

7. Building 32 bit DLL from 32 bit EXE

8. 16, 16/32, 32 bit Forths: Pros/Cons?

9. 32/16 divide & 16*32 multiply wanted

10. PLI-32 Alpha 3.10 (Single message ZIP file (30K)) - pli-32.zip (0/1)

11. PLI-32 Alpha 3.10 (Single message ZIP file (30K)) - pli-32.zip (1/1)

12. PLI-32 For NT, alpha 3.10 (ZIP File: 378K] - pli-32.zip (10/10)