Looking for info about Model-View-Controller paradigm
Author Message
 Looking for info about Model-View-Controller paradigm

I've been playing with Oberon/F for Mac at a real beginner's level and
some things aren't very clear to me ... at this point it's a problem
understanding how to do view updates.  I need a better understanding of
the breakdown of the responsibilities of models, views, and controllers.

For instance, why are the GetSize and SetSize procedures down in Models?
Shouldn't they be in Views?  I've tried to write a "Hello World" style
of module that counts the number of times the view's Restore procedure
is called, but while the counter seems to be updated at the right times
the display isn't always updated when I think it should be.  I think
my program is probably too simplistic for the way Oberon/F works and
that I'm probably doing the wrong thing in the wrong place.

The Bibliography manual refers to "A cookbook for using the Model-View-
Controller user interface paradigm in Smalltalk-80" in the Journal of
Object-Oriented Programming, Vol. 1, No. 3, August 1988 issue.
Unfortunately, only one of the two universities here has that journal
and it doesn't go back that far.  I tried poking around on some of
the Xerox servers and doing Veronica searches for things like MVC and
only came up with one HyperCard demonstration stack and nothing else.

Are there any other sources that describe MVC that I might find in the
library or on the Internet (preferably on the Internet as that's the
easiest method of access for me)?

--

P.O. Box 3511, Station C, Ottawa, Canada, K1Y 4H7 \ Phone: 613-763-3556
** Opinions expressed are mine, not BNR's. - MJB ** \ Fax: 613-765-2051

Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:31:14 GMT
 Looking for info about Model-View-Controller paradigm

Quote:
>I've been playing with Oberon/F for Mac at a real beginner's level and
>some things aren't very clear to me ... at this point it's a problem
>understanding how to do view updates.  I need a better understanding of
>the breakdown of the responsibilities of models, views, and controllers.

[deleted]

Quote:
>Are there any other sources that describe MVC that I might find in the
>library or on the Internet (preferably on the Internet as that's the
>easiest method of access for me)?

Object Oriented Programming in Oberon-2 gives some good examples with
regards to Oberon.  Springer Verlag, Moessenboeck.  ISBN 0-387-56411-X.

Taylor Hutt
If you eat oranges and then brush your teeth, does the toothpaste taste funny?

Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:01:35 GMT

1. Looking for implementation info on Composite Model-View-Controller architecture

2. model-view-controller info

3. C++/Views: A Model-View-Controller Library for C++

4. Model View Controller

5. Model View Controller

6. Model View Controller and Ada 95

7. Model-View-Controller