Mouse advice (was Re: Driver? 3-Buttons Genius Mouse)
Author Message
 Mouse advice (was Re: Driver? 3-Buttons Genius Mouse)

Quote:
>> So, personally, I'd say to toss the Genius mouse (I had one once for a few
>> days and did the same) and get one of the Logitech products. They're very
>> nice...
>I agree. I consider a good mouse part of the Oberon purchase price.

Well as much as I love Oberon you won't take my Logitech KidzMouse from
me until you pry it from my stiff, cold fingers.  It's just so darn
cute.

Besides, I prefer using the control key to activate a command.  I find
it easier for me, seperating the textual pointer/signifier and the
command activator into different hands.

Mick Powers

Wed, 28 May 1997 23:14:28 GMT
 Mouse advice (was Re: Driver? 3-Buttons Genius Mouse)

Quote:

>Well as much as I love Oberon you won't take my Logitech KidzMouse from
>me until you pry it from my stiff, cold fingers.  It's just so darn
>cute.

I've seen one, and have to agree that it's cute.

Quote:
>Besides, I prefer using the control key to activate a command.  I find
>it easier for me, seperating the textual pointer/signifier and the
>command activator into different hands.

I thought this was OK for a while, until I started doing a _lot_ of editing
in the Oberon environment. I don't know about the rest of you, but after
having done the interclicking bit for a while, I find that 1) it's very natural
on a 3-button mouse, provided I do it without thinking about it :-) and
2) there is no _way_ I've been able to get the motions right as easily using
the control-button scheme.

Perhaps the fact that I the Mac and PC button/key scheme are different messed
me up; I don't know. But at this point, I don't use Oberon without the right
kind of mouse unless I _have_ to!

-greg

Fri, 30 May 1997 14:06:45 GMT
 Mouse advice (was Re: Driver? 3-Buttons Genius Mouse)

Quote:

> >Besides, I prefer using the control key to activate a command.  I find
> >it easier for me, seperating the textual pointer/signifier and the
> >command activator into different hands.

> I thought this was OK for a while, until I started doing a _lot_ of editing
> in the Oberon environment.

I think that the ETH people have achieved the highest
goal in design... They have made their system an appliance system.

That is to say, when I want to accomplish a job, I use their system
with the expectation that it will work, and my thoughts are strictly
on the job at hand and not the configuration and mechanics of the
tools I am using.  The name is from the fact that, when you want
clean laundry, you don't want to know about switches or pipes,
you just want to drop in dirty laundry and soap and have the system
hide the details. --an appliance--

I can copy or mark text essentially by willing it to happen. (of course
I can touch type also.)

Mon, 02 Jun 1997 00:56:57 GMT
 Mouse advice (was Re: Driver? 3-Buttons Genius Mouse)

Quote:

> That is to say, when I want to accomplish a job, I use their system
> with the expectation that it will work, and my thoughts are strictly
> on the job at hand and not the configuration and mechanics of the
> tools I am using.  The name is from the fact that, when you want
> clean laundry, you don't want to know about switches or pipes,
> you just want to drop in dirty laundry and soap and have the system
> hide the details. --an appliance--

> I can copy or mark text essentially by willing it to happen. (of course
> I can touch type also.)

It's funny, but I was just thinking of this the other day, as I painfully tried
to edit something for my wife using MS-Windows.  It's strange how ingrained the
interclicks are now compared to how awkward they seemed at first.  And although
I really used to enjoy the control-key cut-and-paste, now--after a vain attempt
at actually using the cursor after selecting some text in a Windows app--I find
myself thinking,"I have to do WHAT to move this paragraph there?!?  That's
LUDICROUS!"  And for me, between the auto-indent feature and the popup menu,
there's nothing like System 3's ET for quick hack-and-slash of text.  Anymore I
think I'd be lost without it.

And I know someone out there will start screaming about how efficient they are
using emacs, but hey, try teaching that to anyone in a lunch hour...

-Jack Johnson
So I see a lot of bars without windows.  What the hell kind of metaphor is this?

Wed, 04 Jun 1997 19:19:25 GMT

1. Driver? 3-Buttons Genius Mouse

2. Mouse advice (was Re: Driver? 3-Buttons Genius Mouse)

3. left mouse button = right mouse button

4. Mice, mice, mice, mice ...

5. Mice, mice, mice, mice ...

6. Mouse driver for serial mouse !?!

7. MOUSE WITHOUT MOUSE DRIVER

8. Programming the mouse without the mouse-driver

9. detecting mouse motion at mouse button release

10. 3 button mouse driver?

11. new 3-button Logitech mouse driver, error tkPriv{x} undefined

12. leftmouse button is right mouse button ???