Oberon 2 compiler
Author Message
 Oberon 2 compiler

Quote:
>> I feel Oberon will have advantages to me in creating tools for my own
>>personal use, and I like to experiment with with Juice so it will
>>probably have to become System3 for me. I hope that I can find good docs
>>soon.

There is a company called "MicroWorks LLC" which has developed (is
developing) a Juice development add-on
for BlackBox (formerly Oberon/F). You should find a pointer to their
website somewhere on the Oberon Microsystem's
website (www.oberon.ch)

GDP

Sat, 27 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon 2 compiler

Quote:

> > "Available for Unix platforms" would be wonderful. Currently it is only
> > Linux, though HP-UX port is reportedly in the works (any recent info
> > on HP-UX?).
> So, because you ask for it.
> In spring I ported S3 2.1 to HPUX Risc. It's running at least on HPUX 9 and
> 10.20. Hardware is 9000/715 and now also a B-class machine.
> It was based on a V4 from ETH and Linux S3 2.1. For certain reasons it didn't
> make it in time for the CD.

Sounds great!  I had a feeling that the Linux System 3 implementation might lead
to ports
of Oberon System 3 to other Unix platforms.  I'm considering doing a port to
Solaris.
Does your system use OMI or straight native code?  I'm guessing a native code
port would
the easiest to do, but I'm curious as to what it would take to port OMI to
processors other
than Intel and PowerPC.

Sat, 27 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon 2 compiler

Quote:

> [...]
> In the long run the Oberon community might be better off with
> more "professional" platform(s) like OOC. I wonder if OOC is
> evolving towards the said ideal System, even though its design
> philosophy initially did not specify an integrated IDE.

OOC will certainly not evolve into anyones "ideal" System unless people
start to contribute stuff to move it into the right direction.   This
holds for both compiler(s) and libraries.  While I'm personally not
an advocate of one of the established Oberon Systems I do believe in
the idea of an expansible system.  OOC might be command line centered at
the moment but it's always possible to add to the existing base and
built an integrated IDE on top of it.

-- Michael van Acken

Sat, 27 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon 2 compiler

Quote:

> > In spring I ported S3 2.1 to HPUX Risc. It's running at least on HPUX 9 and
> Does your system use OMI or straight native code?  I'm guessing a native code

I use native code, because the basic V4 uses native code.
Quote:
> port would
> the easiest to do, but I'm curious as to what it would take to port OMI to
> processors other
> than Intel and PowerPC.

I think that OMI would be very interesting. You could reuse the compiler.
But I don't know whether you can get all the sources for OMI if you want to do
a port.
Also I wonder if you still need a native compiler on a new system because you
can't do some HW dependent stuff with OMI.

--

--------------- Gerberstrasse 33, D-71522 Backnang, Germany -----------------
    At home you can program in C or look videos as much as you like !

Sun, 28 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon 2 compiler

Quote:

> > > In spring I ported S3 2.1 to HPUX Risc. It's running at least on HPUX 9 and

> > Does your system use OMI or straight native code?  I'm guessing a native code
> I use native code, because the basic V4 uses native code.
> > port would
> > the easiest to do, but I'm curious as to what it would take to port OMI to
> > processors other
> > than Intel and PowerPC.
> I think that OMI would be very interesting. You could reuse the compiler.
> But I don't know whether you can get all the sources for OMI if you want to do
> a port.
> Also I wonder if you still need a native compiler on a new system because you
> can't do some HW dependent stuff with OMI.

I think you're probably right on both counts.  Most (but not all) of the source
for
Oberon System 3 is available, but if the OMI stuff is there, I haven't been able
decipher exactly where it is.  I also have the source for Juice, but I haven't had
chance to disect it yet.  That may be the best shot for OMI source code.

I also think you're right about needing a native compiler.  Any "unsafe" modules
have to be compiled with a switch that turns OMI off.  I think this has more to
do with security issues than with OMI not being able to handle HW dependent
stuff but I'm not sure.  Of course most platforms have some native version of
Oberon-2 available.  My main attraction to OMI is having the ability to distribute

common binary files for most programs as well as the hope of more development
of Juice (though it looks to be at a standstill).  I'm of the opinion that Oberon
is
best positioned to compete against Java and slim binaries would be an important
feature for that.

I'm not familair with many processors outside the Intel family, but I wonder if
a standard system for porting OMI could be developed?  Most RISC processors
have similair features right? (lots of registers...similair commands such as ADD,
MULT, BRANCH).  My idea is that the converter to work from a table that
mapped register names, instructions ect from a know CPU like the PowerPC to
the new one (HP, Alpha ect.)  Any comments for the CPU architeture experts?

Sun, 28 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon 2 compiler

Quote:

> > > "Available for Unix platforms" would be wonderful. Currently it is only
> > > Linux, though HP-UX port is reportedly in the works (any recent info
> > > on HP-UX?).
> > So, because you ask for it.
> > In spring I ported S3 2.1 to HPUX Risc. It's running at least on HPUX 9 and
> > 10.20. Hardware is 9000/715 and now also a B-class machine.
> > It was based on a V4 from ETH and Linux S3 2.1. For certain reasons it didn't
> > make it in time for the CD.

> Sounds great!  I had a feeling that the Linux System 3 implementation might lead
> to ports
> of Oberon System 3 to other Unix platforms.  I'm considering doing a port to
> Solaris.

[snip]

  It is little known but Josef Templ already has ported System 3
to Solaris with his Ofront system which is more than just an
Oberon to C translator.  It actually runs full Oberon V4 and
"Spirit" of Oberon.

-Doug
--

Senior Research Engineer        (650) 723-2487
121 Cordura Hall, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305

Mon, 29 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon 2 compiler

Hello!

Quote:
>> [...]
>> In the long run the Oberon community might be better off with
>> more "professional" platform(s) like OOC. I wonder if OOC is
>> evolving towards the said ideal System, even though its design
>> philosophy initially did not specify an integrated IDE.
>OOC will certainly not evolve into anyones "ideal" System unless people
>start to contribute stuff to move it into the right direction.   This
>holds for both compiler(s) and libraries.  While I'm personally not

I can only stress this sentence. While the people around ooc are doing a very
good job (I'm always very pleased when I get support and even compiler patches
within a one or two days) and the compiler and its libraries are steadyly
getting better, there is (always) much work to do. This does not only mean
improving the compiler (participating with maybe only for the real hard guys)
much much more the contributing stuff like libraries and support programs.
There is much stuff to do, most of thoose thing will have a prompt featback to
other parts of the package giving a strong apmlifying effect. This does not
only but also cover VisualOberon.

Quote:
>an advocate of one of the established Oberon Systems I do believe in
>the idea of an expansible system.  OOC might be command line centered at
>the moment but it's always possible to add to the existing base and
>built an integrated IDE on top of it.

No problem. The current implementation and libraries are mostly based around
POSIX complicant stuff. A IDE based on VisualOberon would be natural. But there
is no reason one could not support other (native) GUIs and implement dynamic
OberonSystems. This is also valid for VisualOberon which object model should be
powerfull enough to build more OberonSytsems like components upon it. Just
participate and define the ways ooc goes.

--
Gru?...
       Tim.

Tue, 30 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon 2 compiler

Quote:

>...  I'm considering doing a port to
>Solaris.
>Does your system use OMI or straight native code?  I'm guessing a native code
>port would
>the easiest to do, but I'm curious as to what it would take to port OMI to
>processors other
>than Intel and PowerPC.

The has already been a Port of System3 1.5 to Solaris. Perhaps you
could use this as a starting point. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to
be maintained anymore. It took a long time to find it somewhere on an
FTP-Site in the Net.

Bernd

--
[ BERND SCHOELLER                      Oft ist das Denken schwer, indes ]

[ http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~schoelle                  - Wilhelm Busch ]

Tue, 30 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 31 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]