Language Tutorial?
Author Message
 Language Tutorial?

I've recently become interested in Oberon for a project that I am
considering.  It seems to hit a sweet spot of simplicity that other
languages I've considered don't really achieve.  The project I'm
considering is the implementation of a small (read "toy") operating
system, largely for educational purposes.  I've got oo2c and o2c
up and running on my development machine.  Unfortunately, it appears
that most of the books that were ever published on Oberon are out
of print and no longer available, and I have been unable to find
really adequate online tutorial information about the language
itself.  Does anyone have any suggestions for links that I might
try?  Or comments on the ludicrous nature of my project? :-)

        Mark

--
/* __  __ __   ____      __*/float m,a,r,k,v;main(i){for(;r<4;r+=.1){for(a=0;
/*|  \/  |\ \ / /\ \    / /*/a<4;a+=.06){k=v=0;for(i=99;--i&&k*k+v*v<4;)m=k*k

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:29:17 GMT
 Language Tutorial?
Amazon.COM has 2 Oberon books currently available:

1) Into the Realm of Oberon : An Introduction to Programming and the
Oberon-2 Programming Language

http://www.*-*-*.com/
-8216628-9304522

2) Oberon-2 Programming with Windows

http://www.*-*-*.com/
c_b_3/107-8216628-9304522

VandeWettering) =====

Quote:
>I've recently become interested in Oberon for a project that I am
>considering.  It seems to hit a sweet spot of simplicity that other
>languages I've considered don't really achieve.  The project I'm
>considering is the implementation of a small (read "toy") operating
>system, largely for educational purposes.  I've got oo2c and o2c
>up and running on my development machine.  Unfortunately, it appears
>that most of the books that were ever published on Oberon are out
>of print and no longer available, and I have been unable to find
>really adequate online tutorial information about the language
>itself.  Does anyone have any suggestions for links that I might
>try?  Or comments on the ludicrous nature of my project? :-)

>    Mark

>--
>/* __  __ __   ____      __*/float m,a,r,k,v;main(i){for(;r<4;r+=.1){for(a=0;
>/*|  \/  |\ \ / /\ \    / /*/a<4;a+=.06){k=v=0;for(i=99;--i&&k*k+v*v<4;)m=k*k
>/*| |\/| | \ V /  \ \/\/ / */-v*v+a-2,v=2*k*v+r-2,k=m;putchar("X =."[i&3]);}

Guns don't kill people...bullets do
(Pistol {*filter*} exception already noted)

"I suppose that human beings looking at it would say that arms are the most
dangerous things that a dictator, a tyrant needs to fear.  But in fact, no -
it is when people decide they want to be free. Once they have made up their
minds to that, there is nothing that will stop them." -- Desmond Tutu

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:07:14 GMT
 Language Tutorial?

Quote:

>system, largely for educational purposes.  I've got oo2c and o2c
>up and running on my development machine.  Unfortunately, it appears

Just how in the world did you manage to achieve this?  I've downloaded the
OOC sources, and just can't seem to get it compiled.  Supplied documentation
does not seem to address the issue.

Also, I'd like to build my own back-end for OOC -- again, no documentation
on how to go about doing this.  But I figure, once I get the skeleton
backend working (this requires that I can compile OOC itself), I can play
around with it and get a better feel for how to do things.

Quote:
>that most of the books that were ever published on Oberon are out
>of print and no longer available, and I have been unable to find

Agreed.  I've been trying to find a copy of Project Oberon for a good two
months, and still nothing has turned up.

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447 | Official Channel Saint, *Team Amiga*
Samuel A. Falvo II          |

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:46:10 GMT
 Language Tutorial?

Quote:

> I've recently become interested in Oberon for a project that I am
> considering.  It seems to hit a sweet spot of simplicity that other
> languages I've considered don't really achieve.  The project I'm
> considering is the implementation of a small (read "toy") operating
> system, largely for educational purposes.  I've got oo2c and o2c
> up and running on my development machine.  Unfortunately, it appears
> that most of the books that were ever published on Oberon are out
> of print and no longer available, and I have been unable to find
> really adequate online tutorial information about the language
> itself.  Does anyone have any suggestions for links that I might
> try?  Or comments on the ludicrous nature of my project? :-)

>         Mark

> --
> /* __  __ __   ____      __*/float m,a,r,k,v;main(i){for(;r<4;r+=.1){for(a=0;
> /*|  \/  |\ \ / /\ \    / /*/a<4;a+=.06){k=v=0;for(i=99;--i&&k*k+v*v<4;)m=k*k
> /*| |\/| | \ V /  \ \/\/ / */-v*v+a-2,v=2*k*v+r-2,k=m;putchar("X =."[i&3]);}

The idea to have a "toy" or teaching/studying OS in Oberon is a
very good one.
I suggest to firstly study Project Oberon because it is exactly
this (not a "toy" but simple and easy to understand). If you
like to have more detailed comments please tell us more about
the scope of your project.

Although I have most of the books about Oberon (and all I looked
at and found them good enough or even excellent) I don't think
they're really necessary to learn and understand the language.
You didn't mention your background what makes it a little bit
hard to give advice. Basically to read the published sources of
PO is a very good idea to start with.

Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:59:11 GMT
 Language Tutorial?

[SNIP]

Another area which might be interesting: AFAIK the sources of
Native Oberon by Pieter Muller of ETH are available. This should
be an alternative to PO.

Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:17:39 GMT
 Language Tutorial?

Quote:
> Agreed.  I've been trying to find a copy of Project Oberon for a good two
> months, and still nothing has turned up.

Apparently its out of print, I am also looking for a copy.

Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:14:47 GMT
 Language Tutorial?

Quote:

> >system, largely for educational purposes.  I've got oo2c and o2c
> >up and running on my development machine.  Unfortunately, it appears

> Just how in the world did you manage to achieve this?  I've downloaded the
> OOC sources, and just can't seem to get it compiled.  Supplied documentation
> does not seem to address the issue.

OOC should compile "out of the box" on most modern Unix systems. It should
also work cleanly under the Cygwin environment. From time to time there
have been bugs in some releases of Cygwin. This may cause you problems. If
this is a possible issue, try searching the mailing list archive for
"cygwin" to get some pointers. Also, please feel free to post on the OOC
list.

Quote:
> Also, I'd like to build my own back-end for OOC -- again, no documentation
> on how to go about doing this.  But I figure, once I get the skeleton
> backend working (this requires that I can compile OOC itself), I can play
> around with it and get a better feel for how to do things.

The OOC mailing list is a good place to discuss problems and issues with
OOC. Subscription and archives are available here:
  http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=3539
There are links to this address from the OOC home page at:
  http://ooc.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
  Stewart

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:40:58 GMT
 Language Tutorial?
Quote:

> I've recently become interested in Oberon for a project that I am

if you accept Component Pascal as an Oberon (http://www.oberon.ch/)
dialect you could check out Stan Warfords eccellent tutorial
at: ftp://ftp.pepperdine.edu/pub/compsci/prog-bbox/

regards

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:38:07 GMT

1. Assembler Language Tutorial

2. APL Language Tutorial WS?

3. earning Clarion - Chapter 13 - Clarion Language Tutorial- Problem with code in book on lastest CD.

4. Language Tutorial Help (C4)

5. Looking for Language Tutorial

6. Updated PC Assembly Language Tutorial

7. GERMAN ADA LANGUAGE TUTORIAL

8. Try The Language Tutorial Directory!

9. Assembly Language Tutorial / Document Project

10. Assembly Language Tutorial Available On-Line

11. Assembler Language Tutorial

12. Updated PC Assembly Language Tutorial