S3 - locate compile errors ?
Author Message
 S3 - locate compile errors ?

 Under System 3 (MSDOS) how do I use:

Builder.MarkErrors ^     "inserts error markers into the marked text.

                               Start of error list must be selected. "

Currently I have to:
  "Edit.Locate" pos 12169, and download and search  OberonErrors.Text
for the error explanation.
Has someone got a *.Tool which puts a marker at the first error with
the corresponding error explanation - combined with compilation.

Related to this:
  the Turbo Pascal Intergrated Development Enviroment is/was
beautifull;
 but as someone wrote, "once MSDOS dropped out TP had nowhere to go".
It is not acceptable to the user that software cannot be migrated to
new hardware/OSs.
 The virtual machine (remember the old P systems) seems to be
the solution.
  Decades ago I had good use out of P code interpreters that I built
for a Pascal-subset for, several different micro-proccessors.

   Has anyone made an Oberon VM.

Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S3 - locate compile errors ?

.>  Under System 3 (MSDOS) how do I use:
.>
.> Builder.MarkErrors ^     "inserts error markers into the marked text.
.>
.>                                Start of error list must be selected.
"
.>
.> Currently I have to:
.>   "Edit.Locate" pos 12169, and download and search  OberonErrors.Text
.> for the error explanation.
.> Has someone got a *.Tool which puts a marker at the first error with
.> the corresponding error explanation - combined with compilation.
.>

I normally use Builder.MarkErrors *.  I insert a marker (*) in the
source code (by pressing F1).  Then I select the error list in the
log window.  Finally I click on the Builder.MarkErrors command.
That inserts marks in the text at the error positions that are
linked to the explanation of the error.  I like the way Oberon/F
(now Blackbox) automatically does this for you.  Rather than just
writing errors out to the log, it automatically assumes you want
to mark them in the source and does that for you.

.> Related to this:
.>   the Turbo Pascal Intergrated Development Enviroment is/was
.> beautifull;
.>  but as someone wrote, "once MSDOS dropped out TP had nowhere to go".
.> It is not acceptable to the user that software cannot be migrated to
.> new hardware/OSs.
.>  The virtual machine (remember the old P systems) seems to be
.> the solution.
.>   Decades ago I had good use out of P code interpreters that I built
.> for a Pascal-subset for, several different micro-proccessors.
.>
.>    Has anyone made an Oberon VM.
.>

Have you heard of Oberon Module Interchange?  It comes standard
now with Oberon System 3 for Windows and Mac (not sure about the
Native or Linux version.)  It's the same technology that Juice
is built on top of.  The other name for it is "Slim Binaries".
Rather than storing object code in a VM format, it used a graph
structure that preserves the semantics of the code and allows
for better run-time optimization that the Java-to-native code
translaters.  I believe it used a directed-acyclic-graph (DAG),
but I'm not sure.  Check out http://www.ics.uci.edu/~juice
for more information.

Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S3 - locate compile errors ?

Quote:

>Related to this:
> but as someone wrote, "once MSDOS dropped out TP had nowhere to go".
>It is not acceptable to the user that software cannot be migrated to
>new hardware/OSs.
> The virtual machine (remember the old P systems) seems to be
>the solution.

It's only one of the solutions.  In fact, it's one of the less efficient
solutions.

Quote:
>   Has anyone made an Oberon VM.

No.  However, there is something better: Juice and SlimBinaries allow
Oberon to generate portable, highly efficient executables.

Check out the pages at UCI's web site, http://www.ici.uci.edu/~oberon.

SlimBinary's only visible shortcoming appears to be its
Oberon-specificity.  I REALLY wish I could puzzle out the source so that I
could work on this.  I mean, I'm not claiming that Oberon's bad or
anything, but no language solves all possible problems.

I may wind up reinventing the wheel to get something like SlimBinaries,
but more multilingual.  Am I off-track?

-Billy

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S3 - locate compile errors ?

Quote:

> Related to this:
>   the Turbo Pascal Intergrated Development Enviroment is/was
> beautifull;
>  but as someone wrote, "once MSDOS dropped out TP had nowhere to go".
> It is not acceptable to the user that software cannot be migrated to
> new hardware/OSs.
>  The virtual machine (remember the old P systems) seems to be
> the solution.
>    Has anyone made an Oberon VM.

An alternative to a virtual machine, is code that is easy to
convert to machine code on any machine. Then one can
run a program that converts the code on the fly as the code
is read from disk. Writing an interpreter for this would be
easier than simulating a virtual machine. It might even load
faster than reading the code directly if the intermediate code
uses space more efficiently than machine code.This has been
done. Check out OMI, object module interchange, at the
EthZ site.

--

Terry Moore, Statistics Department, Massey University, New Zealand.

Theorems! I need theorems. Give me the theorems and I shall find the
proofs easily enough. Bernard Riemann

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S3 - locate compile errors ?

Quote:

>  Under System 3 (MSDOS) how do I use:

> Builder.MarkErrors ^     "inserts error markers into the marked text.

>                                Start of error list must be selected. "

> Currently I have to:
>   "Edit.Locate" pos 12169, and download and search  OberonErrors.Text
> for the error explanation.
> Has someone got a *.Tool which puts a marker at the first error with
> the corresponding error explanation - combined with compilation.

 I have placed a variant of the Builder module on our server which
operates on the marked viever and
  a) can be used from the menu bar
  b) puts a error explanation at errors

The module is in

http://statlab.uni-heidelberg.de/projects/oberon/util/gsBuilder.S3R22...

(Sorry, this one is for S2 Release 2.2; you have to modify it for R2.1...)

   G. Sawitzki

--

Mon, 07 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Cobol compile can't locate db2

2. unable to locate dll error

3. Can someone help me locate the error...

4. Error in trying to locate bitmaps files

5. locating error source in F77 program

6. locating error source in F77 program

7. TCL - How to locate syntax error

8. Can someone help me locate the error...

9. Compiling Tk4.1: "cross-compiling" error

10. C5PE Compile Error: err.$$$(1) #6: Error: cif$filewrite The handle is invalid

11. error compile when VIs are good (Windows error)

12. Error VEEXT700: Linker Failed Error 511 when trying to compile project for DM 2.6