Oberon Question
Author Message
 Oberon Question

Does Oberon support ennumerated types as in Pascal/Modula?  In other words,
can you still say,

TYPE
        myColors : (red, green, purple);

????

If not, is there something that provides similar functionality?
Thanks...

Oh yeah, If anybody at ETH is readin this: I BEG you to support non-68030
macs (specifically, MacPlus/Powerbooks 100/140).  One of the boasts about
Oberon is that is doesn't require oodles of memory/diskspace and yet you
can't run it on what would seem to be sufficiently powerful machines.

Anyway, that's my two cents....

Mon, 16 Jan 1995 08:49:19 GMT
 Oberon Question

Quote:

>Does Oberon support ennumerated types as in Pascal/Modula?

No. Enums as a special construct are history.

Quote:
>If not, is there something that provides similar functionality?

There are several techniques.
1. Use constants and named types.
        CONST red* = 0; green* = 1; blue* = 2;
        TYPE Colors* = SHORTINT;
2. Use objects. A class to represent colors, and one instance
   per color.

There are probably other ideas too. And i don't want to hear any whining
about how you lose type-checking. With a minimum of care on the programmer's
part, this is a non-issue.

Quote:
>One of the boasts about
>Oberon is that is doesn't require oodles of memory/diskspace and yet you
>can't run it on what would seem to be sufficiently powerful machines.

But Oberon does want lots of screen real estate. It seems they only envision
Oberon as a desktop system. This is too bad, because I can easily imagine
a PDA based on Oberon.

--

"Oppression breeds {*filter*}" - Front Line Assembly

Tue, 17 Jan 1995 01:21:46 GMT
 Oberon Question
Quote:

> Does Oberon support ennumerated types as in Pascal/Modula?  In other words,
> can you still say,

> TYPE
>    myColors : (red, green, purple);

> ????

No, it doesn't. There are reasons to do with type extensions which I am not
qualified to answer.

Quote:

> If not, is there something that provides similar functionality?
> Thanks...

Yes, you can use integer types.
CONST red=0; green=1; purple=2;
See the MODULA2 to OBERON section in the manual.
Quote:

> Oh yeah, If anybody at ETH is readin this: I BEG you to support non-68030
> macs (specifically, MacPlus/Powerbooks 100/140).  One of the boasts about
> Oberon is that is doesn't require oodles of memory/diskspace and yet you
> can't run it on what would seem to be sufficiently powerful machines.

> Anyway, that's my two cents....

I would enthusiastically concur with that. And what about my AT - it
can use protected mode and could address up to 20Mb if I had it. Why
does everyone only support 386's these days?

Tue, 17 Jan 1995 05:44:57 GMT
 Oberon Question
Quote:
>I would enthusiastically concur with that. And what about my AT - it
>can use protected mode and could address up to 20Mb if I had it. Why
>does everyone only support 386's these days?

I wholly agree but I think it is because the '286 can only address that
memory as segmented, whereas the 386+ can make it flat (and slow).

Part of the job of a HLL compiler writer is in my opinion to do the hard bits
which on the Intel means making the 64k segmentation go away. They in fact
pass the buck.

Anything I write for public consumption will always run on an 8088. Move on
to really major software works and I think you will find that there comes a
time when there is little choice but the draw a line and say big machines
only. This is ok if the software is expensive.

Were MicroSoft wrong in making Windows 3, 286 or greater? I guess that W 4
will be 486 or greater 8-)

  TC.

Tue, 17 Jan 1995 09:21:57 GMT
 Oberon Question

Quote:
>I would enthusiastically concur with that. And what about my AT - it
>can use protected mode and could address up to 20Mb if I had it. Why
>does everyone only support 386's these days?

At the risk of wasting bandwidth world-wide, I say, "Yeah...Uh-Huh..."

Tue, 17 Jan 1995 17:08:47 GMT
 Oberon Question

Quote:

>But Oberon does want lots of screen real estate. It seems they only envision
>Oberon as a desktop system. This is too bad, because I can easily imagine
>a PDA based on Oberon.

>--

>"Oppression breeds {*filter*}" - Front Line Assembly

Just to let you know I run Oberon on a 386 Notebook. I find it quite
usefull on a notebook system since it gives me a full OS w/ development
at far less resource use than just a 'C' development system alone on
MSDOS.

* Shawn P. Legrand         *                                           *
* Sr. Systems Programmer   *                                           *
* (619)-546-2457           *    This space intentionally left blank.   *

Thu, 19 Jan 1995 10:24:00 GMT

1. Newbie Oberon Question (Different Guy)

2. Linux Oberon question

3. Oberon questions

4. Gnu-ed Amiga Oberon question

5. Three Oberon questions

6. See Greg's Oberon Questions (response)

7. Oberon questions from Craig & nazario answered

8. Gnu-ed Amiga Oberon question

9. Oberon question/pointer initialisati

10. Oberon question

11. Oberon questions