need free software
Author Message
 need free software

is there anyone who has a logitech modula-2 ?. can you download it in my
email for free ?. thanks in advance and regards.

Sun, 30 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need free software

Quote:

> is there anyone who has a logitech modula-2 ?. can you download it in my
> email for free ?. thanks in advance and regards.

The Logitech compiler was a commercial product, and to the best of my
knowledge has never been released as freeware. If you EVER expect to get
any constructive help with your problems I suggest you never under any
circumstances ask people to do this sort of thing for you.

I feel very much inclined to cc this to the postmaster at your site.

-- Mark Morgan Lloyd

--
-- [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]

Sun, 30 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need free software
Lighten up Mark.  Why not give him the benefit of a doubt?  Though
misguided, I think the lad may have thought he was making an honorable
request.  Why not educate him rather than tattle on him?  Or do you have any
proof of the contrary that he is a scoundrel?
--
Richard Redmond

Quote:

> I feel very much inclined to cc this to the postmaster at your site.

Thu, 04 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need free software

Quote:

> Lighten up Mark.  Why not give him the benefit of a doubt?  Though
> misguided, I think the lad may have thought he was making an honorable
> request.  Why not educate him rather than tattle on him?  Or do you have any
> proof of the contrary that he is a scoundrel?

No but I do remember a time when a major UK company was busted for running
rather a lot of copies of Logitech's VAX compiler but with only a single machine
licence.
Logitech, JPI & FST have both lost a lot of sales to illegal copying.

Quote:

> > I feel very much inclined to cc this to the postmaster at your site.

Asking for a *free* copy of commercial software is highly suspicious.
Especially given the headers say it came from a Motorola semicon site.

If he had asked "where can I get a Logitech M2 compiler" it would be different.
Given the title I agree with Mark.

FWIW I think Terra Datentechnik still sell Logitech compilers in Europe.

        http://www.terraterra.ch/modula-2/index.html

Regards,
Martin Brown

Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need free software
Good point.  I was looking at it from the standpoint that one would either
have to be 1. a fool or 2. a rank neophyte to ask for such a thing outright.
And I was giving him the benefit of a doubt.
--
Richard Redmond

Quote:

> No but I do remember a time when a major UK company was busted for running
> rather a lot of copies of Logitech's VAX compiler but with only a single
machine
> licence.
> Logitech, JPI & FST have both lost a lot of sales to illegal copying.

> Asking for a *free* copy of commercial software is highly suspicious.
> Especially given the headers say it came from a Motorola semicon site.

> If he had asked "where can I get a Logitech M2 compiler" it would be
different.
> Given the title I agree with Mark.

> FWIW I think Terra Datentechnik still sell Logitech compilers in Europe.

>         http://www.terraterra.ch/modula-2/index.html

> Regards,
> Martin Brown

Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need free software

Quote:

> And I was giving him the benefit of a doubt.

I'm afraid that for a short while I was Logitech's de-facto UK technical
support. The chap running the UK operation from the back streets of
Warrington had joined Logitech when they bought up a mouse/scanner
operation, and was forthright enough to ask me what a compiler was.

It /was/ a good compiler for its day, but let us weep in memory of its
marketing and support.

The FTL compiler was more accessible, but by the time it was on the market
its author had lost interest. He produced half-working support for
overlays and when I almost lost my house over it and threatened the UK
distributor with dire consequences got it three-quarters working (I fixed
the remainder by systematic binary patches). We subsequently tried to buy
the source from him but he was so unhappy with the state of it that he
wouldn't play ball... we still use it for special purposes.

The illegal copying racket is a real problem. If the poster of the
original message had said "I've got this lump of code that I need to
recompile because of year 2K issues... where the heck can I get the
compiler" I would have been very sympathetic, particularly if he could
demonstrate (a) that at one time the source had been accompanied by a
legal compiler and (b) that if I lent him one the loan and copyright would
be respected.

I remember a few years ago the UK NCC were talking about holding software
in escrow in case the vendor folded: I only wish there were an
industry-wide agreement that this was a good thing.

-- Mark Morgan Lloyd

--
-- [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]
--
-- ** Internet feed may be unreliable- please cc anything important by
email **

Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need free software

Quote:

> > And I was giving him the benefit of a doubt.

> I'm afraid that for a short while I was Logitech's de-facto UK technical
> support. The chap running the UK operation from the back streets of
> Warrington had joined Logitech when they bought up a mouse/scanner
> operation, and was forthright enough to ask me what a compiler was.

They quickly reallised the real money was in rodent & scanner manufacture.

Quote:
> It /was/ a good compiler for its day, but let us weep in memory of its
> marketing and support.

Yes - but the code generator was a bit on the conservative side.
Never do in one instruction what you can do in two...

The major advantage it had which on a PC placed it head and shoulders above
the competition of the day was extensive symbolic runtime and postmortem
debugging.
The latter was a fantastic tool in real world applications. A crash at any
customer site could be analysed from the postmortem dump to find the root
cause of failure.

Quote:
> The illegal copying racket is a real problem. If the poster of the
> original message had said "I've got this lump of code that I need to
> recompile because of year 2K issues... where the heck can I get the
> compiler"

Given the industry I suspect I may have either been involved in or known the
authors of the code they are hoping to recompile. Large customers usually
bought a copy of the sourcecode as long term insurance in case the company
went pop.

Quote:
> I would have been very sympathetic, particularly if he could
> demonstrate (a) that at one time the source had been accompanied by a
> legal compiler and (b) that if I lent him one the loan and copyright would
> be respected.

Y2K issues affecting Logitech M2 compiler & libs are detailed on Terra's web
site.

Quote:
> I remember a few years ago the UK NCC were talking about holding software
> in escrow in case the vendor folded: I only wish there were an
> industry-wide agreement that this was a good thing.

Pretty sure the service exists, but very few vendors place code into it.
ISTR there is an annual fee for holding the code so no benefit to the vendor.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Quote:

> -- Mark Morgan Lloyd

> --
> -- [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
> colleagues]
> --
> -- ** Internet feed may be unreliable- please cc anything important by
> email **

Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Free SoftWare, free antiviruses, free internet soft, free graphics soft ...

2. Free SoftWare, free antiviruses, free internet soft, free graphics soft ...

3. Software Package Free! ... about our Free Software

4. FREE 10 Day Bulk Email Software

5. Free Web book on Software Design and Development

6. FREE 10 Day Bulk Email Software

7. Free Software: Jun304 is available.

8. REAL Software Announces Free Upgrade Period For REALbasic 3.0

9. FREE 10 Day Bulk Email Software

10. Awk Tutorial, Vinge Speaking, Fees Reduced at Free Software

11. Free Software made with REALbasic

12. Free Software - Realbasic Plugin Info Program