TS btree toolkit/SBM2 
Author Message
 TS btree toolkit/SBM2

Anybody converted the old TS btree toolkit to Stony Brook? I'm in need of a
lightweight db engine for some shrinkwrapped stuff.

James



Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 TS btree toolkit/SBM2
The old Solid Software btree system could also be a choice. Years ago we
ported it to 32-bit for a CAE product we used to develop.

--
Norman Black
Stony Brook Software
the reply, fubar => ix.netcom


Quote:
> Anybody converted the old TS btree toolkit to Stony Brook? I'm in need of
a
> lightweight db engine for some shrinkwrapped stuff.

> James



Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 TS btree toolkit/SBM2

Quote:

> The old Solid Software btree system could also be a choice. Years ago we
> ported it to 32-bit for a CAE product we used to develop.

Thanks for that snippet. I use the SOLID SQL server here for
test/development purposes but it's a far less attractive product now that
they've changed their pricing policy- I didn't realise that it had
progenitors. An interface to PostgreSQL could also be an interesting
possibility.

The TS stuff was, of course, proprietary. I admit that I was never able to
get to grips with it.

-- Mark Morgan Lloyd

--
-- [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]



Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 TS btree toolkit/SBM2
I was not aware that Solid Software still existed. They had a number of
toolkits in Modula-2, and they compiled under multiple compilers (Ours,
Logitech (pre Stony Brook), and TopSpeed). This was all years before ISO.
The old btree toolkit is probably a dead product if you can find a copy, and
it is the simple thing you seem to be looking for.

--
Norman Black
Stony Brook Software
the reply, fubar => ix.netcom


Quote:


> > The old Solid Software btree system could also be a choice. Years ago we
> > ported it to 32-bit for a CAE product we used to develop.

> Thanks for that snippet. I use the SOLID SQL server here for
> test/development purposes but it's a far less attractive product now that
> they've changed their pricing policy- I didn't realise that it had
> progenitors. An interface to PostgreSQL could also be an interesting
> possibility.

> The TS stuff was, of course, proprietary. I admit that I was never able to
> get to grips with it.

> -- Mark Morgan Lloyd

> --
> -- [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
> colleagues]



Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 TS btree toolkit/SBM2

Quote:

> I was not aware that Solid Software still existed.

Assuming that we're talking about the same people in Finland... yes,
they're still going. However, what happened is that they brought out a
half-decent SQL server and promoted it as something that could be embedded
in comparatively small-scale projects, then after getting a lot of
valuable publicity from Jon Udell in Byte (and various other places) they
decided that it was far too much trouble and wouldn't talk to anybody
without a commitment to buy n copies.

Their support guys have been fairly helpful, but since they are no longer
prepared to discuss small quantities for turnkey applications we're far
more likely to look at PostgreSQL which- apart from anything else- appears
far more bomb-proof.

-- Mark Morgan Lloyd

--
-- [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]



Wed, 29 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 TS btree toolkit/SBM2

Quote:
> The old Solid Software btree system could also be a choice. Years ago we
> ported it to 32-bit for a CAE product we used to develop.

I remember that company from somewhere, right around the time you guys and
TS introduced your M2 compilers. I don't think it is the same company that
Mark is referring to, tho'. Could I possibly take a look at that port?

I do have the old TS Btree stuff, and have thought about calling TS (now
SoftVelocity) to see if they would consider public domaining it.

James



Wed, 29 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 TS btree toolkit/SBM2
I don't think we are talking about the same company. I am pretty sure Solid
Software was US based.

Yep, I just found an old manual (1987), they were in West Chester, Ohio. The
product was called "The Solid B+ toolbox". The product included full source.

--
Norman Black
Stony Brook Software
the reply, fubar => ix.netcom


Quote:


> > I was not aware that Solid Software still existed.

> Assuming that we're talking about the same people in Finland... yes,
> they're still going. However, what happened is that they brought out a
> half-decent SQL server and promoted it as something that could be embedded
> in comparatively small-scale projects, then after getting a lot of
> valuable publicity from Jon Udell in Byte (and various other places) they
> decided that it was far too much trouble and wouldn't talk to anybody
> without a commitment to buy n copies.

> Their support guys have been fairly helpful, but since they are no longer
> prepared to discuss small quantities for turnkey applications we're far
> more likely to look at PostgreSQL which- apart from anything else- appears
> far more bomb-proof.

> -- Mark Morgan Lloyd

> --
> -- [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
> colleagues]



Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 TS btree toolkit/SBM2

Quote:
>I remember that company from somewhere, right around the time you guys and
>TS introduced your M2 compilers. I don't think it is the same company that
>Mark is referring to, tho'. Could I possibly take a look at that port?

>I do have the old TS Btree stuff, and have thought about calling TS (now
>SoftVelocity) to see if they would consider public domaining it.

I maybe have the 1.17 version somewhere.


Sat, 01 Feb 2003 14:36:16 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. SBM2-gg/SBM2-ug for ex TopSpeed users

2. Ts 3.1 src in Ts 1.17

3. DialogBox in SBM2

4. ComboBox in Modula2 (SBM2 4.0) under w2k or w98

5. Resources and linking in SBM2

6. Question on SBM2 WIN32 API Calls

7. SBM2 benchmark results

8. Freeware BTree Database Engine for PowerBasic apps !

9. BTree implementation

10. Performance of Binary Sort Access Method [BSAM] ( was Re: btrees)

11. dictionary, mapping, BTree?

12. haskell btree

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software