Not JPI, Was: Modula-2 and Modula-3
Author Message
 Not JPI, Was: Modula-2 and Modula-3

Quote:

>>Are people still stuggling with the thread-dangerous STORAGE module from
>>JPI?
[CUT]
>This has become a non-issue for me now, because I've moved
>to a standard-compliant compiler.  The JPI compiler was
>good while it lasted, and I imagine that people will still
>be using it for some years to come; but TopSpeed has
>apparently lost interest in selling it, so its use is now
>confined to those people who bought it before Clarion
>decided to scuttle it.

Would you mind telling us which compiler do you use instead?

Were there any particular problem areas in porting code from JPI to the
new compiler?
I appreciate that this might not be a simple question to answer, so if
you're short on time I'd be happy with a simple YES/NO/SOME answer,
anything more than that would be a welcome bonus.

<Later addition: I've just read Frank Schoonjans timely description of
Stony Brook. Does anyone else have experience of transfer from JPI-

Quote:
>Stony Brook?>

Regards
David Wright
An t-Eilean Sgitheanach (Isle of Skye, Scotland)

Tue, 04 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Not JPI, Was: Modula-2 and Modula-3

Quote:

>[CUT]
>>This has become a non-issue for me now, because I've moved
>>to a standard-compliant compiler.  The JPI compiler was
>>good while it lasted, and I imagine that people will still
>>be using it for some years to come; but TopSpeed has
>>apparently lost interest in selling it, so its use is now
>>confined to those people who bought it before Clarion
>>decided to scuttle it.
>Would you mind telling us which compiler do you use instead?

I'm now using XDS for OS/2.  If you check my web page
(see signature below) you'll find details of all the
Modula-2 compilers I know about for OS/2.  Of these, I'm
happiest with XDS, so that's the one I've chosen to use.

XDS is also available for several other operating systems,
but I haven't tried those other versions.  My guess, for
what it's worth, is that the compiler quality is probably
about the same in all versions.

If your preferred operating system is Windows, then
it seems to be a neck-and-neck race between XDS and Stonybrook
for the "best compiler" label.  But that's second-hand
information, because I haven't tried out any of the
Windows compilers.

If you prefer MS-DOS, then there's probably nothing better
than Topspeed.  But some other compiler will presumably
move into the "best available" slot now that Topspeed has
become practically unobtainable.

For other operating systems, I can't give any advice from
my own knowledge; but my web page has pointers to other
sources of information for various operating systems.

Quote:
>Were there any particular problem areas in porting code from JPI to the
>new compiler?

The porting difficulties essentially fall into three categories:
 1. Operating system differences.  This was an issue for me
    because I decided to port my code from DOS to OS/2, and
    naturally all the system calls are totally different.
    This is a big job if you have to do it, but probably
    a non-issue for anyone who doesn't change operating systems.
    (And also a non-issue for the average user who doesn't
    write low-level code.)
 2. Type compatibility.  The problem here is that Topspeed
    is decidedly non-standard in its type compatibility rules,
    so there are things that are legal in Topspeed and illegal
    with other compilers.  But, actually, I haven't found this
    to be a serious problem; it's just a matter of compiling
    your code and looking at the error messages from the
    compiler.  Sometimes tedious, but the solution is almost
    invariably obvious.
 3. Calls to library modules.  The ISO standard libraries are
    quite different from the PIM libraries, and the Topspeed
    libraries are different yet again.  Some compiler suppliers
    (XDS certainly, but probably some others) give you
    alternative library modules which are more or less
    Topspeed compatible, but inevitably you end up having to
    change many of your library calls.

The bottom line is that porting to a new compiler is not
entirely painless, but the porting difficulties are tolerable.

--

       http://www.ee.newcastle.edu.au/users/staff/peter/Moylan.html

Thu, 06 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Not JPI, Was: Modula-2 and Modula-3

Quote:

>>Would you mind telling us which compiler do you use instead?

>I'm now using XDS for OS/2.  If you check my web page
>(see signature below) you'll find details of all the
>Modula-2 compilers I know about for OS/2.  Of these, I'm
>happiest with XDS, so that's the one I've chosen to use.

[CUT]
Thanks for your help Peter.

I have been along to the XDS site and picked up the demo.
I was interested to note some sort of involvement with PMI as I used to
use their Repertoire product when I first started with M2 and was
suitably impressed by that.
Regarding porting JPI to XDS, xTech have developed a few interface
modules to help the process, these are available from the xTech web
pages.

Regarding Stony Brook M2, apart from an email address for Norman Black
in the FAQ, I can't find any relevant web references to Stony Brook or
Stonybrook (I tried both spellings). I'll try emailing for further
information.

Regards
David Wright
An t-Eilean Sgitheanach (Isle of Skye, Scotland)

Fri, 07 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Not JPI, Was: Modula-2 and Modula-3

Quote:

>I have been along to the XDS site and picked up the demo.
>I was interested to note some sort of involvement with PMI as I used to
>use their Repertoire product when I first started with M2 and was
>suitably impressed by that.
>Regarding porting JPI to XDS, xTech have developed a few interface
>modules to help the process, these are available from the xTech web
>pages.

To make it clear:

We reimplemented the following modules from TS library for Windows95/NT and
OS/2:

FIO
Graph    (for OS/2 only yet)
IO
Lib      (partially)
MATHLIB
ShtHeap
Str
Window

Not all those modules are included in the current release (v2.21), though.

Dmitry Leskov

--------------------------------
Dmitry V. Leskov
XDS Products Division Manager

xTech Ltd., Novosibirsk, Russia
http://www.iis.nsk.su/xtech/xds/

Sat, 08 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. JPI TopSpeed Modula-2

2. JPI Modula-2

3. JPI Modula-2

4. The JPI Modula-2 compiler

5. JPI Modula-2

6. JPI Modula 2 - Creating code with Absolute Addresses

7. JPI Topspeed Modula-2 make information held in a binary

8. windows DLLs, using JPI Modula V3

9. JPI Modula-2 v2.00 r1.04 under MS Windows 3.0

10. JPI Modula 2 and damaged floppy disks

11. JPI MODULA V3, SHOULD I UPGRA

12. JPI Modula v3, Should I upgrade?