Modula-2 FAQ/part1
Author Message
 Modula-2 FAQ/part1

Archive-name: computer-lang/Modula2-faq/part1
Version: 2.11
Last-modified: 1997 07 23
Posting-frequency: Monthly

                 Modula-2 Frequently Asked Questions

What should be done in version 3.0?
I had thought that version 3.0 should see a redesign, but I got very few
replies, except some suggestions for more internal links.  I may have a go
at that if there is time.
What is new in version 2.11?
Not a whole lot.  The ususl collection of minor updates, and an
announcement of the newest version of the shareware textbook--expanded and
corrected, and with a bold new interface (hype, hype) and a new mirror
site. There is a new answer to a code question at 5.4. I mention the static
analyzer OSA in a new 4.10.
What was new in version 2.10?I had a student check all the links and he
found about 20% were out of date.  Boy, a lot of people must read this FAQ
and use it! Well, we fixed some and turfed others. A new Math library is
detailed in A4 of 4.4.  Stonybrook has a new email address. References to
Modula-2* have been deleted as the URL is no longer active. Questions
4.8-4.14 are renumbered. WAIT FOR IT! The all revised version of the
shareware textbook with much better HTML is in process and will be ready
with a new look and feel, new material, some reorganization, and probably a
new URL--target date is mid July.

SUMMARY:
1. Answers to many questions about Modula-2 as a programming notation may
be found in the shareware textbook. See section 1.4.

2. Answers to most other frequently asked questions about Modula-2 will be
collected at Trinity Western University and included in this document from
time to time as it is revised.

Anyone making a submission guarantees that they have the right to do so
(copyright holder, or information in the public domain.) and that the
information is not from any source whose copyright lies with another.

4. I will update this summary file and post to the newsgroups
comp.lang.modula2 and to comp.answers and news.answers

5. The latest version will always be available in a Nisus (Mac) form in
ftp://FTP.twu.ca/pub/modula2/m2faq.html
The folder modula2 has a variety of other materials. This version of the
FAQ is readable as text by other word processors, but without any
formatting. It is also available from the site rtfm.mit.edu in plain text
form as
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/comp.answers/computer-lang/Mod...
rt1 and as
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/comp.answers/computer-lang/Mod...
rt2

CONTENTS:
Part 1
1. WHAT IS MODULA-2?
2. WHERE IS MODULA-2 DISCUSSED?
3. WHERE CAN I GET MODULA-2 COMPILERS?
Part 2
4. WHERE CAN I GET SOURCE CODE, OTHER INFO?
5. SPECIFIC QUESTIONS ON CODE AND ALGORITHMS
6. WHAT ARE SOME REFERENCE MATERIALS ON MODULA-2?
7. REVIEWS
Appendix: AUTHOR INFORMATION AND DISCLAIMERS

1. WHAT IS MODULA-2?
A. Modula-2 is a programming notation that corrects some of the
deficiencies of Pascal. It is suitable for learning programming, for large
projects written and maintained in the fashion of professional software
engineers, and for real time embedded systems.

1.1 Who developed Modula-2?
A. Modula-2 was developed by Niklaus Wirth at ETH in Zurich, Switzerland in
the late 70's. Wirth also developed Pascal and Oberon.
see: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~jandrea/m2/nwirth/

1.2 Where is this language described?
A. In Programming in Modula-2 3rd edition published by Springer-Verlag in
1985. For the purposes of distinguishing this from later variants, this
description will be referred to herein as classical Modula-2.

1.3 How do you pronounce Herr Wirth's name?
A. It is incorrect to call him by his value (worth.) Instead his name is veart.

1.4 Can I get a simple introduction to ISO Modula-2?
Yes, the latest revised edition of the shareware text as of 1997 07 23 is
at http://www.*-*-*.com/
Mirrors:
1. TWU CS Students (Internal only) http://www.*-*-*.com/
2. Brighton, UK   http://www.*-*-*.com/
3. Vienna, Austria   http://www.*-*-*.com/

1.5 How does Modula-2 fit into the language zoo?
A. It is a descendent of Pascal and Modula, and one predecessor of
Modula-2+, Modula-2*, Modula-3, Oberon, Oberon-2, and various object
oriented versions of these. The latter languages are not replacements for
Modula-2, merely later notations in the same family, having strengths and
weaknesses of their own. Modula-2 is sometimes classified with Ada and C as
the trio of modern languages in view of their expressive power. Modula-2 is
smaller and more readable than either.

1.6 What are the differences between Modula-2 and Pascal?
A. Modula-2 has separately compiled library modules, and makes much less
use of blocks (begin...) than Pascal. Identifiers are case sensitive; there
is no goto label; and I/O is in libraries rather than built in. The IF
statement is more versatile; and there are facilities for concurrent
programming via coroutines.

1.7 What is ISO Standard Modula-2?
A. A committee of ISO JTC1/SC22/WG13 with delegates from several countries
has met since 1987 to work on a standard description of Modula-2 and a set
of standard library modules.

A2. The official home of the ISO Modula-2 working group WG13 is at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

1.7.1 What is the status of ISO Standard Modula-2?
A. The international standard (IS 10514) has been voted on and is now official.

1.7.2 Where can I get the Modula-2 standard?
A1. Contact your national standards body or ISO (the publisher.)

A2. For an older version, try looking in
ftp://ftp.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/pub/soft/modula/standard/draft4/

1.7.3 What format is the standard document in?
A. Latex.

1.7.4 Who is the convenor of the standards group (WG13)?
A.Martin Schoenhacker of Vienna is the convenor.

1.7.5 When was the last WG13 meeting?
A1. It was March17-18 in Linz, Austria. For more details, follow
http://www.*-*-*.com/

1.7.6 When is the next WG13 meeting?
A1. No meeting is currently on the schedule. One may be held if necessary
to respond to comments on Generics and OO proposals.

1.7.7 Will I be able to read the standard?
A1. The concrete syntax is written in a variation of EBNF (Extended
Backus-Naur Formalism) and should be accessible to most.

A2. Much of the document's details are written in VDM-SL (Vienna
Development Method - Specification Language) which is a formalism for
giving a precise definition of a programming language in a denotational
style. It is worth learning VDM-SL if you plan to write a compiler or use
formal methods to do any design work.

1.7.8 Can I at least get electronic copies of the definition modules?
A. Yes, in ftp://FTP.twu.ca/pub/modula2/ISOLibraries/ISODEFMods/ or
ftp://ftp.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/pub/soft/modula/standard/libdefs/

1.7.9 Can I get ISO library code to port?
A. Yes, this is available from Rick Sutcliffe, the FAQ maintainer. He has
done an ISO I/O library for the Mac, and StonyBrook has ported this to
their system.  Anyone else is welcome to do a port provided: (1) TWU gets a
license to the software produced (2) All code changes are marked and
submitted to Rick Sutcliffe for the benefit of anyone else who wants to do
a port.

1.7.10 Can I get copies of the grammer?
A1. Yes, in http://www.*-*-*.com/
A2. For classical Modula-2, see also COCO (section 4.9)
A3. There are nice syntax diagrams for classical Modula-2 in
http://www.*-*-*.com/
 and there are syntax diagrams for ISO Modula-2 stored at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

1.8 What difference is there between classical and ISO Modula-2?
A. ISO Modula-2 has resolved most of the ambiguities in classical Modula-2.
It adds the data type COMPLEX and LONGCOMPLEX, exceptions, module
termination (FINALLY clause) and a complete standard I/O library. There are
numerous minor differences and clarifications.

1.8.1 What else is WG13 doing?
A. WG13 is working on two additional standards (separate from the main one)
for (a) object oriented Modula-2 and (b) generic programming facilities.
Both passed the registration ballot as CDs and will proceed to final
drafting 1997 05 01. Various versions of the latest generics proposal and
the disposition of comments are stored in the directory
ftp://FTP.twu.ca/pub/modula2/WG13/

1.9 What is (was) Turbo Modula-2
A. Borland prepared CP/M versions of Modula-2 and sold them for a time in
Europe (also in North America via a distributer.) One of these versions
later migrated to become TopSpeed Modula-2.

1.10 Where and for what is Modula-2 used?
A1. Modula-2 is widely used for teaching the fundamentals of sound
programming techniques, data structures, and software engineering in many
parts of the world. It is the language of choice in much of Europe. It has
features that make it superior to other languages for large projects and
for programming and real time controllers.

the Macintosh programs written in p1 Modula-2: OzTex (standard Tex
implementation on the Mac) X-Words (a meta-Scrabble word game), Anagrams (a
fast and friendly anagram generator), LifeLab (a software laboratory for 2D
cellular automata.) His home page is: http://www.*-*-*.com/

 "Back in 92-93 I worked for the Australian National Uni's Research School
of Earth Sciences writing Noble, a large suite of programs to control mass
spectrometers and analyze all the data. Everything was written in Modula-2
(the only reason I took the job!).
In fact, one of the reasons I decided to try making a living from shareware
was so that I could keep using Modula-2."

A3. General Motors and its subsidiary Delco do their programming in General
Motors Modula-2.

A4. Here is a message sent in by a maker of test equipment:
Our BoardWizard range of test equipment has compilers,pseudo-code
interpreters and a complete test operating system written in M2.  The code
was written for one tester in 1987 and has been maintained from that date
to the present. New tester models have added and new interface and UI code
has been written, indeed sections have been completely re-written but much
of the core test logic is untouched since about 1990 when I shifted to
management.  Much of the code is unknown to those who maintain it - yet
when i look at it after several years I can still explain it to others even
though comments are sparse. I believe that that is the hallmark of a great
programming language. (Emphasis added.)
Dave Appleton,
Technical Manager
Goldtron Technologies                       Tel : (065)-870-9886
(Ex- Proteq Technologies)                   Fax: (065)-777-2118
26 Ayer Rajah Crescent #07-01               www:   http://www.*-*-*.com/
Singapore  139944

A5. The following survey results were once posted by Mat. Maher

ORGANISATION              LOCATION   WORK                   COMPILER
Statoil                   Norway                            StonyBrook
Inst. for Space Nerology  Austria    datafile conversion    TopSpeed
                                     dataviewers
Boeing                    Washington Aerospace Eng.         p1(MAC)
CDSS                      UK         embedded control sys.  TopSpeed
                                     for submarines
(self-employed)           UK         embedded Pcs and       TopSpeed
                                     pc-like chips
(manufacturer)            Finland,   8051 embedded control  Mod51
                          S.Africa,
                          Australia,
                          NZ, USA
Pacific Software          California Point-Of-Sale systems   -
Tele-Soft                 S. Africa  Scientific CAD progs   TopSpeed
                                     Databases
(confidential)            UK         Instrumentation &      TopSpeed &
                                     telemetry              Custom tools
USA Dept. of Energy       Idaho      Reusable components    StonyBrook
Idaho Nat. eng. labs                 systems programming
Locheed Idaho technologies company
Applied software resuse Products
GiaStar Ltd               UK         Satcoms/Comms. Elect.  TopSpeed
                                     design & m/facture.
University of Reading     UK         Teaching,embedded ctrl  TopSpeed
University of Loughborough UK                               StonyBrook
and Hertsfordshire                                          TopSpeed
(sole trader)             UK         Electronic Design      TopSpeed
Atomic Energy of Canada   Canada     Shutdown system for    prototype in
Ltd. (AECL)                          nuclear reactor        TopSpeed
                                                         final version in
                                                         Hicross (HiWare)
Wallac Oy                 Finland    beta/gamma counters    Logitech,
                                     control & data acquis. Multiscope
Inspectron AG             Switzerland remote surveillance   Logitech,
                                                            Multiscope
Bank of New York          USA        funds transfer &       Terra Dutentechnik
                                     customer enquirys      (VAX/VMS)
({*filter*})                          Motorola IC production Logitech
                                     line tools. (Asia)
Dexdyne Ltd               UK         Single-board Pcs &     TopSpeed
                                     applications.
({*filter*})               Australia  Shareware              p1 (mac)
Multi-Master AS           Norway     Embedded systems,      Logitech,
                                     remote control & acquis. Multiscope
(confidential)                       room acoustic sim &    TopSpeed
                                     (audio) virtual reality

1.11 Why do universities use Modula-2 for teaching instead of C or C++?
A1. Modula-2 is a type-safe language and its compilers will therefore catch
many errors that otherwise show up at run time. While professional
programmers need to learn C because it is commonly used, it is important to
begin a discipline of deliberate, engineered programming at the outset.
Modula-2 is easier to write in, easier to read (it reads left to right) and
easier to debug in. It lends itself well to software engineering. Modula-2
is a Higher Level Language than C, particularly with respect to pointers,
all of which have types that depend on what is pointed to, and which can be
treated as addresses only by flagging this fact in the program code.
A2. Popularity no more implies soundness or superiority when considering
tools such as Modula-2 and C++ than it does when considering hardware
(Pentium vs PowerPC), operating systems (Windows vs Mac) and applications
(Word). Marketing means selling the sizzle of appearance not the steak of
content; those who know this and can apply it consistently win the
marketing wars with inferior or even poor products. The market situation is
no reason to give up on the basics of sound tools and methodology. If
anything the cirisis implied by the inability of large companies to
maintain poorly designed and bloated software and OSs implies that the
industry needs to return to basics before it is going to advance much
farther.
A3. Here are the results of a survey of university usage of Modula-2 done
by Bernhard Leitch

 lang.    total perc.   group
Pascal     159  35.57%    1
Ada         73  16.33%    2
Scheme      51  11.41%    4
Modula-2    49  10.96%    1
C           36   8.05%    3
C++         28   6.26%    3
fortran     10   2.24%    5
Turing       6   1.34%    5
Eiffel       5   1.12%    5
SML          5   1.12%    5
Miranda      4   0.89%    5
Modula-3     4   0.89%    5
ML           3   0.67%    5
Oberon       2   0.45%    1
ISETL        2   0.45%    5
Smalltalk    1   0.22%    5
Beta         1   0.22%    5
Prolog       1   0.22%    5
Simula       1   0.22%    5
Orwell       1   0.22%    5
Basic        1   0.22%    5
Trine        1   0.22%    5
Cobol        1   0.22%    5
Pop-11       1   0.22%    5
Lisp         1   0.22%    4
           --- -------
           447 100.00%
in language groups:

Wirth lang.  210  47%  1
Ada           73  16%  2
C/C++         64  14%  3
Lisp like     52  12%  4
other         48  11%  5
             --- ----
             447 100%

1.13 Why is Modula-2 a good language for large commercial projects?
A1. It supports modular design which reduces errors and cuts down on
maintenance time.  This also allows platform dependencies to be isolated,
increasing portability.

A2. see: Griffith, Laurie Modula-2 is three times less error prone than C,
Proceedings of the Second International Modula-2 Conference, Loughborough
University of Technology, UK, September 1991, pp 332-338.

1.14 Where do I get information on Oberon and Modula-3?
A. These languages have their own newsgroups. The Modula-3 FAQ is located
at http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~laden/Ob-pkgs.html

1.15 Where do I get information on Modula-2*?
A. Try http://www.*-*-*.com/

1.16 Where do I get information on YAFL?
A. This is yet another OO and Generic derivative of Modula-2. The homepage
for the language is at http://www.*-*-*.com/

2. WHERE IS MODULA-2 DISCUSSED?

2.1 COMP.LANG.MODULA-2
This is an internet newsgroup for questions, answers, and discussions on
Modula-2. You may read it under this name on any machine on which you have
a news account.

2.1.1 How do I post a message to comp.lang.modula2?
A. Post it directly into that group using a news program on any computer
connected to the network.

2.1.2 How do I retrieve old messages from comp.lang.modula2?
A. Your local news server probably keeps old messages only for a few weeks.
You should be able to mark the entire group as unread and browse whatever
is available there.

2.2 Compuserve
If you have a Compuserve account, GO CODEPORT to join the portable
programming forum.

2.3 Amiga lists
2.3.1 A general list for Amiga Modula2/Oberon programming.  This is

toward any specific compiler.To subscribe, send mail to

2.3.2 A mailing-list for the Amiga Turbo Modula-2 Compiler written by
Amritpal S. Mann. To subscribe, send a message to

subscribed, you will receive a copy of all messages sent to the address

2.3.3 A mailing list for the Cyclone compiler for the Amiga written by

put in the body
                       the text:
                       sub ams
                       exit

2.4 Gardens Point Modula-2

the subject line blank and the body
 of the message containing:
  subscribe gpm
  info gpm
  end

 subscribers on the list. The development team are of course subscribers.

2.5 XDS
To subscribe to the XDS mailing list, send message with the following body:
    subscribe xds
    end

To learn more about listserver commands, send message
    help
    end

3. WHERE CAN I GET MODULA-2 COMPILERS?

3.1 Where can I get commercial Modula-2 compilers?

In this section, the listings are by name of the manufacturer (marked M) or
distributor (marked D.)

ACE Associated Computer Experts bv
activity  M
products  Compilers, Operating systems and Consultancy
platforms SPARC, 68K, Transputer and more
office    Van Eeghenstraat 100
          1071 GL  Amsterdam
          The Netherlands
contact   Kees Dik

voice     +31 20 6646416
fax       +31 20 6750389

A+L AG
activity  D
products  Compilers, applications, and books.
platforms various
office    Daderiz 61
          CH-2540 Grenchen
          Switzerland
contact   Albert Meier

voice     +41/65/52 03 11
fax       +41/65/52 03 79

Armadillo Computing
activity  MD
products  Benchmark Modula-2 Compiler, Source-Level De{*filter*}, Amiga
Interface and Libraries, ISO compatibility in progress from Tom Breedon

          Benchmark Assistant
platforms 16bit DOS, 32bit DOS extended, 16bit Windows, 32bit Windows
office    5225 Marymount Drive
          Austin, Texas 78723 USA
contact   Jim Olinger

voice     512-926-0360
www       http://www.*-*-*.com/

Byte Works, Inc.
activity  MD
products  ORCA/Modula-2 for the Apple IIGS
offices   8000 Wagon Mound Dr. NW
          Albuquerque NM 87120
contact     Mike Westerfield
voice     (505) 898-8183

Edinburgh Portable Compilers, Ltd
activity  MD
products  EPC Modula-2
platforms SCO Unix V.[34],
          Motorola 88000 UNIX V.[34],
          SPARC UNIX & Solaris,
          RS/6000 AIX
office1   17 Alva Street
          Edinburgh, EH2 4PH, UK
contact   Kathleen Smith

voice     +441 131 225 6262
fax       +441 131 225 6644
office2   20 Victor Square
          Scotts Valley
          California 95066, USA
USA tel   1-800-EPC-1110

Gardens Point
activity  MD
products  Gardens Point Modula-2
platforms Various Unix, including Linux and FreeBSD, DJGPP, EMX (OS/2)
            and MS-DOS (no Mac)
office    Queensland University of Technology
          Gardens Point Branch
          2 George Street
          POB 2434 Brisbane
          Queensland Australia 4001
contact   John Gough

contact   Jeffrey Ledermann

web       http://www.*-*-*.com/
voice     +61 7-864-2132
fax       +61 7-864-1801
see mail list and net sections

Mandeno Granville Electronics Ltd
activity   MD
products  80x51: Mod51 -  80x51 Cross Compiler, ISO extensions
platforms DOS Hosted
office    128 Grange Rd
          Auckland 3
          New Zealand
contact
e-mail
voice     +64 9 6300 558
fax       +64 9 6301 720

Metrowerks
activity  M
products  standalone and MPW hosted compilers; Code Warrier environment
platforms Macintosh
  NOTE: Modula-2 NO LONGER SUPPORTED, but probably still available from:
          Bookmasters
          POB 2039 Mansfield
          OH, USA 44905
          Tel +1 (800) 247-6553
          Fax +1 (419) 281 6883
(see p1 GmbH)

The Mill Hill & Canterbury Group, Ltd.
activity  MD
products  Extended 32-bit Modula-2 with Oberon extensions (non-ISO),
Mathpak library
platforms OS/2 with full API incl. SOM/WPS and PM
Note: Object oriented language extensions similar to Oberon-2
contact  Neuhoff, Juergen

WWW       http://www.*-*-*.com/
demo      Try:  ftp-os2.nmsu.edu/os2/dev32/MOD201H.ZIP
           ftp-os2.cdrom.com
           ftp.leo.org
           ftp://ftp-os2.cdrom.com/pub/os2/lang/mod201j.zip
CompuServe: GO CODEPORT (File Name MOD201J.ZIP)

ModulaWare
activity  MD
prod/plat Unix (680x0, SunSparc, I386, Linux, OS/9): MCS Modula-2 V4.5
          DEC VAX/OpenVMS & Alpha AXP/OpenVMS: MVR & MaX V4.0
          DOS/Windows: OM2 V1.1 (Modula-2 & Oberon-2 Compiler)
          DOS/Windows: Mithril V2 GUI/IDE/OOP-API for OM2
          Vendor for: OM2-XDS V2.06: (Oberon-2 and ISO Modula-2,
            generates ANSI C, with ANSI C source of ISO Modula-2 lib)
          Vendor for: MCS Modula-2 SVR3 (Interactive, SCO), SVR4
             (Novell UnixWare), PC/Linux, Solaris
office1   ModulaWare
          La Chanenche
          F-04340 Meolans Revel
          France
tel/fax   +33 92.81.30.99
contact   Guenter Dotzel

office2   ModulaWare
          Haselbachstr. 113
          D-97653 Bischofsheim
          Germany
tel/Fax  +49 (9772) 7101

p1 GmbH
activity  MD
products  MPW and Metrowerks Code Warrier hosted ISO compliant compilers
platforms Macintosh
office    Hogenbergstrasse. 20
          80686 Munich
          Germany
contact   Elmar Henne

voice     +49 89-546 13 10
fax       +49 89-580 25 97

PMI Software
activity  MD
products  Modula-2 tools; dealer for Mandino Granville, XDS (see listings)
platforms DOS and OS/2
contact   John McMonagle
office    PO Box 8402
          Green Bay WI 54311
voice     414-468-6040
fax       414-465-0464
bbs       414-465-1656

web       http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~johnm/

Real Time Associates Ltd.
activity  D
products  Compilers, books, and training courses
platforms numerous
office    Canning House 59
          Canning Road Croyden Surrey
          CR0 6QF UK
voice     (+44) 081 656 7333
fax       (+44) 081 655 0401

Stony Brook Software
activity MD
products  Stonybrook Modula-2 ISO compatible. (Environment, editor,
resource editor, librarian, optimizing compiler, linker, de{*filter*}, many
extra libraries) Also offers Pascal+
platforms 16bit DOS, 32bit DOS extended, 16bit Windows, 32bit Windows
office    187 E. Wilbur, Suite 4
          Thousand Oaks
          CA 91360, USA
contact   Norman Black

voice     +1 (805) 496-5837
BBS       +1 (805) 379-3357

TERRA Datentechnik
activity  D
products  Logitech/Multiscope support
platforms DOS
office    Bahnhofstrasse 33
          CH-8703 Erlenbach
          Switzerland
voice     +41 01 910 35 55
fax       +41 01 910 19 92
bbs       +41 01 910 35 31

TopSpeed Corp (formerly Clarion)
activity  MD
products  Topspeed Modula-2
          CDBW (has Windows VID, can link with TopSpeed M2
          Windows de{*filter*} WID available on Compuserve or on BBS)
platforms DOS, DOS Extender, MS-Windows 3.1 (with some work)
          OS/2
Plans:    (According to rumour) will sell Modula-2 only as an add-on to
            Clarion for Windows and not as a separate product. Several
            people have tried to get more info but without much luck.
office1   Clarion Software (Europe) Ltd.
          Clare House, Thompsons Close
          Harpenden, Herts, UK, AL5 4ES
voice    +441 582 763 200
fax      +441 582 768 222
tech sup +441 582 763 999
BBS      +441 582 763 666
office2   150 East Sample Road
          Pompano Beach
          FL  USA 33064
voice    1-800-354-5444 (free call in US)
voice2   1-305-785-4555 EXT. 105
fax      1-305-946-1650
BBS      1-305-785-2594
retail   http://www.*-*-*.com/
Additional materials (including a bug list in xtdlib) are available on
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~marcov/

xTech Ltd
activity  M
products  Native XDS-x86 - Modula-2/Oberon-2 compiler for x86 all OS
          XDS-C - Modula-2/Oberon-2 to ANSI C translator (all platforms)
          H2D (freeware) translates C header files to M2 Def Mods
platforms PC/DOS and DOS sessions under Windows 3.1 and OS/2 2.x,
          V3 (Warp), PC/OS/2 V2.x, V3 (Warp), PC/Win95, PC/WNT
          PC/Linux, - DEC Alpha AXP (Digital Unix, OpenVMS, WNT)
          Sun/Sparc Solaris, Sun/Sparc SunOS, DecStations, MIPS/Unix
          HP PA-Risc/HP-UX,others on request. (Mac no longer supported.)

          also sold by ModulaWare and see PMI (above)
           and the shareware/demo section (below)
           for product availability
XDS WWW home page:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~johnm/xds.html    (US mirror)
XDS mailing list

evaluation kits are available from these sites
also see ModulaWare and PMI (above) for product availability

3.2 Where can I get a free/shareware compiler on the net?
Note:  A net project to produce an OS/2 version of Modula-2 has apparently
died in the light of commercial releases.

Cyclone
activity  MD
products  Cyclone compiler for the Amiga (giftware) Classical (non-ISO)
plus many extensions.
contact   Marcel Timmermans

web       http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mtimmerm/cycinfo.html

Fitted Software Tools Modula-2 for DOS
  ftp://ftp.psg.com/pub/modula-2/fst/fst-40s.lzh
P. O. Box 867403 Plano, TX 75023 USA
contact: Roger Carvalho

snail    P. O. Box 867403 Plano, TX 75023 USA
Note:   This compiler was developed by Roger Carvalho but is no longer
  actively supported. It essentially conforms to PIM version 3, but also
  supports some simple  and interesting OOP extensions.
  P. O. Box 867403 Plano, TX 75023 USA

Gardens Point Modula-2 for DOS, Linux and FreeBSD
  ftp://pluto.fit.qut.edu.au/pub/gpm
  ftp://ftp.fit.qut.edu.au//pub/gpm_modula2/
  ftp://ftp.psg.com/pub/modula-2/gpm
(The EMX version runs under OS/2 in protected mode and can be used to
generate OS/2 PM applications. It relies on the GNU tools from the EMX

which can be found at: ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/os2/ and various
other mirror sites.

MacLogimo for the Macintosh
  ftp://ftp.psg.com/pub/modula-2/mac/maclogimo/

MacMETH Modula-2 for Macintosh
  ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/macmeth/
  ftp://ftp.psg.com/pub/modula-2/mac/macMETH/

MOCKA - Modula Compiler Karlsruhe (Non ISO)
  Universitaet Karlsruhe
  Institut fuer Programm- und Datenstrukturen
  Vincenz-Priessnitz-Strasse 3
  D-76128 Karlsruhe (FRG)
  Phone: *-49-721-608 6088        FAX: *-49-721-691462
  contact: Thilo Gaul

  SUN 4        | SUN OS              | SPARC               |
  SUN 4        | Solaris2.x/SunOS 5.0| SPARC               |
  DEC Station  | ULTRIX              | R3000, R2000 (MIPS) |
  Silicon      | IRIX                | R3000, R2000 (MIPS) |
    Graphics   |                     |                     |
  Sony NEWS    | News                | MC 68020 with 68881 |
  SUN 3        | SUN OS              | MC 68020 with 68881 |
  HP 9000/300  | HPUX                | MC 68020 with 68881 |
  HP 9000/700  | HPUX                | C back end          |
  RS6000       | AIX                 | C back end          |
  PC           | Linux               | 80386               | +
  PC           | 386BSD              | 80386               | +
  C-back end   | UNIX                | different           |
  translates   |                     |                     |
  M-2 To C     |                     |                     |

The versions marked with a + are free; no order form must be sent, no
license fee to be paid. If you use them, please send an email to

For more information have a look to
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ :80/~modula/
See also ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/modula-2/  or
ftp://ftp.informatik.hu-berlin.de/pub/os/linux/mirrors/tsx-11.mit.edu...
odula-2/ for a Linux version.

Turbo Modula-2 for Amiga

  Amiga Turbo Modula-2 may be obtained from your favourite AmiNet site as
the following files:
   /pub/aminet/dev/m2/TurboV1.3Part1.lha
   /pub/aminet/dev/m2/TurboV1.3Part2.lha

Ulm's Modula-2 System (non-ISO)
   web page:   http://www.*-*-*.com/
   all distributions come along with all sources which may be
   freely distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License
   SPARCv8 / Solaris 2.x
      ftp://ftp.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/pub/soft/modula/ulm/sun4/
   MC68020 / SunOS 4.x
      ftp://ftp.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/pub/soft/modula/ulm/sun3/

xTech Ltd
 ( Windows 95/NT, OS-2, Linux native code and translators. ISO compatible.)
Makes demo and pre-release versions with some restrictions available.
The download site for all versions is:
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~johnm/Pmi.html

3.3 How about a Summary of Commercial ISO Products for the Major
Microcomputer platforms?

MS-DOS:
GPM, ModulaWare, Stony Brook
Windows95/NT:
ModulaWare, Stony Brook, XDS
OS/2:
Mill Hill, XDS
MacOS:
p1

Rick Sutcliffe Math/Cmpt Trinity Western University < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
CDN Chair WG13, FAQ maintainer comp.lang.modula-2
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; <Not speaking officially>

Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Modula-2 FAQ/part1

2. Modula-2 FAQ/part1