Pragma and inline assembly
Author Message
 Pragma and inline assembly

Does anybody know whether languages like Pascal, Algol, Modula-2 and
other procedural languages have a statement that is similar to Ada's and
C's #pragma statement. Also I'm wondering, are there any implementations
of functional languages, except C and Ada, that support inline assembly coding.
In particular, is there any Pascal and Modula-2 implementation that
allows to use an inline assembly language? I know that THINK Pascal for Mac
supports the inline machine coding that consists from using the hexadecimal
codes for machine instructions. However, this in a true sense is not
inline assembly since the codes are machine dependent and the offsets for
variables and jumps have to be figured out by the programmer. Is there
a standard for Pascal and Modula-2, like Ada's or C's ANSI standard?

Please reply to my email address since I don't read the news that often.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lad

Ladislav Hala
Computing Science
University of Alberta

Fri, 02 Sep 1994 17:38:54 GMT
 Pragma and inline assembly
. Does anybody know whether languages like Pascal, Algol, Modula-2 and
. other procedural languages have a statement that is similar to Ada's and
. C's #pragma statement. Also I'm wondering, are there any implementations

As far as I know, Algol 68 originated the pragma.
--
Try one or more of the following addresses to reply.

                iros1!vedge!hendrik
at home:        uunet!altitude!ozrout!topoi!hendrik

Mon, 05 Sep 1994 02:14:28 GMT
 Pragma and inline assembly
In a message of <Mar 21 03:14>, Charles H. Sampson (1:105/42) writes:

 >Date: 20 Mar 92 18:32:19 GMT

 >Newsgroups:
 >comp.lang.misc,comp.lang.ada,comp.lang.apl,comp.lang.c,comp.lang.fortran,co
 >mp.lang.modula2,comp.lang.pascal,comp.lang.functional

Quote:
 >(Ladislav Hala) writes:
>                        ... I'm wondering, are there any implementations
>of functional languages, except C and Ada, that support inline assembly coding

FST Modula-2.

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!48!Jim.Long

Wed, 07 Sep 1994 21:04:45 GMT
 Pragma and inline assembly

Quote:

>                        ... I'm wondering, are there any implementations
>of functional languages, except C and Ada, that support inline assembly coding.

     The U. S. Navy's language, CMS-2, permits direct inline insertion of as-
sembly code.  The assembly code is written in a so-called direct code block,
which has bracketing CMS-2 constructs (DIRECT $ and CMS-2 $).  In other words,
calls to an "assembly language subprogram" are not required.  Very few of the
capabilities of the target machines' assemblers are unavailable in direct code
blocks.

                                Charlie

Wed, 07 Sep 1994 02:32:19 GMT
 Pragma and inline assembly

Quote:
Sampson) writes:

|>     The U. S. Navy's language, CMS-2, permits direct inline insertion of as-
|>sembly code.  The assembly code is written in a so-called direct code block,
|>which has bracketing CMS-2 constructs (DIRECT $ and CMS-2 $).  In
other words,
|>calls to an "assembly language subprogram" are not required.

The Modula-2 compiler available from ETH in 1983 allowed a procedure to
be declared as a code block.  Direct machine language programming, none
of this high level assembly stuff.  Whenever the procedure call was
made, the parameter stack building code was emitted, then the machine
code was inserted directly inline.

In those cases where an address and count were the ultimate parameters,
and a single machine instruction was the inline body, the resulting
code was compact;  However, readability and separation to portable and
non-portable code was preserved.

Aubrey McIntosh  /  Chemistry  /  University of Texas  /  Austin, TX 78712
...another Gaelic learner...

Fri, 09 Sep 1994 02:56:32 GMT

1. Pragma and inline assembly

2. Pragma and inline assembly

3. Pragma and inline assembly

4. Pragma and inline assembly

5. Pragma and inline assembly

6. Pragma and inline assembly

7. problem porting assembly codes from ms inline assembly to linux (gnu - AT&T syntax)

8. pragma and inline ass

9. FLAME ON; JPI Pragma inline

10. FLAME ON; JPI Pragma inline

11. When shoul Pragma Inline be used?

12. Pragma Inline and its Effects of Compilation Dependencies.