WANTED: Lex and Yacc for Modula-2
Author Message
 WANTED: Lex and Yacc for Modula-2

I am looking for a LEX and YACC tool, which generates MODULA-2 code.  Does
anyone know if such a tool exists and where to get it?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Sutton

Fri, 20 Jan 1995 11:23:34 GMT
 WANTED: Lex and Yacc for Modula-2

Quote:
>I am looking for a LEX and YACC tool, which generates MODULA-2 code.  Does
>anyone know if such a tool exists and where to get it?

Here, in Brazil, we developed a set of tools which can help you. It's not
complete. It consists - at this moment - of a Graphic Finite Automata Editor,
a Transition Table Finite Automata Editor (both of them with special features
to validate your specification and follow the traditional formalism - see
Aho & Ullman's compiler book. These will help on lexical structures specs -
but we don't have a Lexical Analyzer Generator yet (comming real soon...).

There are a Sintatic Analyzer Generator which, based on BNF formalism (again,
you can see it at Aho&Ullman's book), works with LL(1), LALR(1), SLR(1) and
LR(1) grammars and generates Modula-2 or Pascal (Turbo 5.0+) code. (C, next.).
It provides extensive documentation and a Parser Simulator to help you to debug
your grammar. You can solve the conflict's interactively.
Semantic and Code generation Actions can be included, as well a lexical
analyzer, so you can generate a complete compiler.

Two advantages:1) following the tradicional and best known formalisms (no new
language to learn), it's easier to work and discuss about the specifications.
               2) with the Animated Simulation, to debug is quick and ease.

A problem: the documentation and program's interface are in ...PORTUGUESE.
           We don't know when we can translate it in to English. We need
           professional help (as you can see, reading my ... argh... text)

Please, if you want more details, call me.

Quote:
>Thanks in advance.

You are welcome.

Jose Eduardo De Lucca   -   Brazil

=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Jose Eduardo De Lucca - Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
                        Depto Ciencias Estatisticas e da Computacao
                        Florianopolis - Santa Catarina - Brasil

=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Sat, 21 Jan 1995 20:05:23 GMT
 WANTED: Lex and Yacc for Modula-2
Quote:
>I am looking for a LEX and YACC tool, which generates MODULA-2 code.  Does
>anyone know if such a tool exists and where to get it?

One set is COCO, COCO2, COCO/R and ALEX.

I have worked mainly with COCO2. This takes an attributed grammar as input
and produces M2 source as output, generating both lexical and sematic
modules. (lex and yacc in one)

Unfortunately I have failed to get adequate results. This is probably more
of a reflection on my middle age than inadequate tools but it would help if
at least one major example of a complete application was available.

A lot of my time (when I was working with the above) was spent fighting other
peoples hacks of the original source. For instance, COCO2 reads the whole
source into memory and on an Intel machine you can guess... there is also a
terrible kludge on memory/pointer math as well as an apparent
misunderstanding about the difference between an integer and an address...

It can (with some extra work) compile itself. This is tricky when some
porting work is needed, definitly mind bending.

COCO/R (recursive decent) is a little different and  the  documentation  says
that it produced a good Oberon compiler from ATG. Unfortunately the disk with
this source was supplied quite blank so I have not been able to examine it.

I guess that the original was ok. Documentation is very minimal.

  TC.

Sun, 22 Jan 1995 08:08:45 GMT
 WANTED: Lex and Yacc for Modula-2
Quote:
>A problem: the documentation and program's interface are in ...PORTUGUESE.
>           We don't know when we can translate it in to English. We need
>           professional help (as you can see, reading my ... argh... text)

Your English is good but I am not the person to judge American...

I am interested in what you are doing although my interest is just a personal
interest rather than commercial. Let's hope that you manage to produce
something that is easier to use than Coco.

  TC.

Sun, 22 Jan 1995 11:31:14 GMT
 WANTED: Lex and Yacc for Modula-2

Quote:

>Subject: WANTED: Lex and Yacc for Modula-2
>Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1992 00:08:45 +0000
>>I am looking for a LEX and YACC tool, which generates MODULA-2 code.  Does
>>anyone know if such a tool exists and where to get it?

>One set is COCO, COCO2, COCO/R and ALEX.
>Unfortunately I have failed to get adequate results. This is probably more

I have used Coco-2 and coco/r and ported them to MS-DOS "portably" meaning
they will work under/for Logitech, FST, JPI and StonyBrook.

Distribution is free to academics.  Others must consult RTA in the UK.

Coco/r as we now distribute it has a few small complete examples with it.

Mon, 23 Jan 1995 23:48:35 GMT
 WANTED: Lex and Yacc for Modula-2

Quote:

> I am looking for a LEX and YACC tool, which generates MODULA-2 code.  Does
> anyone know if such a tool exists and where to get it?

myacc, a free YACC-version which produces Modula-2 code can be downloaded
via anonymous FTP from titania.mathematik.uni-ulm.de (134.60.66.21).
You'll find the myacc-stuff in pub/soft/modula/ulm/sun3/myacc.tar.Z.
myacc is written in C and should run on any UNIX platform (not only
on Suns). myacc generates code which uses Ulm's Modula-2 library
which is also available for free in the same directory.

Mon, 23 Jan 1995 23:09:52 GMT

1. Modula 2 - Lex / Yacc specifications

2. yacc/lex like tools that generate Modula 2

3. Lex and Yacc for Modula-2

4. lex and yacc for ML wanted

5. Wanted SGML Lex/Yacc Specs

6. Wanted : C Preprocessor in lex/yacc ( aflex/ayacc) ?

7. COBOL YACC/LEX specification wanted

8. WANTED: Lex and Yacc source in Ada

9. lex/yacc parser skeleton wanted

10. Wanted : YACC/LEX grammar for F77