Mod-2 v C info.
Author Message
 Mod-2 v C info.

Hi Mod-2 programmers,
        I wonder if one of you experts out there could enlighten me.  Im yet
another C(++) enthusiast.  Im being told that the average Mod-2 compiler
produces better code than the average C compiler.  Im being told that the
tight modular structure & OOPS features of Mod-2 are nicer to work with than
those of C.  I am certainly no expert on Mod-2 but am familiar with its sytanx
etc.  Also, environments ? - I am used to the BC++ environment and I think its
great.  What I saw of the Top speed C's environment did not impress me. Is
there a better one out there ?  If someone could provide me with any more
information (or even a good reference) I would be very greatfull.

                                Regards Dave Keeley.

Mon, 05 Sep 1994 06:02:50 GMT
 Mod-2 v C info.

Quote:
> Also, environments ? - I am used to the BC++ environment and I think its
> great.  What I saw of the Top speed C's environment did not impress me.
> there a better one out there ?

I think one man's meat is another's poison here.  I prefer TopSpeed's
environment much better than BC++'s IDE.  I mean much better.  With version
3.xx of the TopSpeed environment, you get integrated debugging too !

Good Health.

Changhao

Mon, 05 Sep 1994 10:09:20 GMT
 Mod-2 v C info.

 >Also, environments ? - I am used to the BC++ environment
 >and I think its great.  What I saw of the Top speed C's environment did not
 >impress me. Is there a better one out there ?

I haven't used Borland's environment in a LONG time, and I've NEVER used
TopSpeed's, but StonyBrook's compiler comes with an IDE (I can't imagine
working without it) and the compiler is probably the best I've ever used.

At $250 per copy (street price) it's also the most expensive, but I'm glad I
got it.

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!106!2000.25!Jon.Guthrie

Thu, 08 Sep 1994 08:32:55 GMT
 Mod-2 v C info.
Is there a way of passing parameters from the Command Line into a Modula2
program ?  An example,

                          mod_copy file1 file2.
                           |       |     |
                           |       |     +--- 2nd Parameter
                           |       +--- 1st Parameter
                           +--- Program name

Cheers,

Sun, 11 Sep 1994 00:35:28 GMT
 Mod-2 v C info.

|>Is there a way of passing parameters from the Command Line into a Modula2
|>program ?

Perhaps fidonet indicates an IBM-PC environment.  In that environment:

The Logitech library accepted anything typed on the command line as
the first items reported by calls to Terminal.<input routines>  I
learned this first ...

Those things I detailed in FST seemed to follow ETH/Logitech flavor
closely.  It should be easy to modify the library to act this way
if you want, if it doesn't already.

JPI seemed to like to make the C libraries visible, and used the
argv and argc stuff.

The PSP contains the (modified) command line string, and you could access this
with your own customized routines.

Aubrey McIntosh  /  Chemistry  /  University of Texas  /  Austin, TX 78712
...another Gaelic learner...

Wed, 14 Sep 1994 02:46:46 GMT
 Mod-2 v C info.

Quote:

> >Also, environments ? - I am used to the BC++ environment
> >and I think its great.  What I saw of the Top speed C's environment did not
> >impress me. Is there a better one out there ?
>I haven't used Borland's environment in a LONG time, and I've NEVER used
>TopSpeed's, but StonyBrook's compiler comes with an IDE (I can't imagine
>working without it) and the compiler is probably the best I've ever used.

Don't judge an IDE by its looks.  Just because Borland has a very flashy
state-of-the-art user interface, it does not mean that its makes for
productive use.  I find that the new Borland TVision IDEs are much too
cumbersome to use productively.  There is no really quick way to use mouse
orientated applications via the keyboard (IMHO of course).  You should try
working with the JPI (TopSpeed) environment for a while.  While the editing
keys are the same (and those that differ can be changed easily) you should
be working within an hour or two, the intelligent multi-window editor is a
joy to use (the editor detects when you want to load the same file in
multiple windows and then shares it between the two (or more).  Changes
made in one window are reflected in the other.  With Borland's IDE
nothing stops you from merrily editing the same file in two different
windows, creating chaos when you start saving them.  The impression I got
from working with it, is that the people who designed it did it in true
European style -- make it functional, nevermind the bells and whistles (
flames to /dev/null).  And of course you get all the programmer's utilities
built-in:  calculator, ASCII table, binary file viewer, file search, file
locate, ...

Please keep in mind that I do not want to start a religious war over IDEs, I
just want to ensure that they are judged on objective grounds, ie. by
use, not by looks, because at the end of the day, the IDE accounts for a
large percentage of your productivity.

Andries
**        /|~~\  **  APJ Dippenaar              **                  **

**    /    |     **  University of Stellenbosch ** message here...  **
**  /   \__|     **  South Africa               **                  **

Fri, 16 Sep 1994 15:16:21 GMT

1. MOD and /MOD with Pygmy Forth

2. SM/REM FM/MOD and UM/MOD on a 32bit cell ix86 Forth

3. Utils.Mod, ET.Mod

4. Mod-2 or Mod-3 for Mac

5. Mod-2 and Mod-3 compiler

6. Mod-2 and Mod-3 compiler for the IBM PC and compatibles

7. search algorithm for a math mod function (5 mod[2]=1)

9. Outputting info from awk and using the info to name the awk output file

10. ACTOR: info & info request

11. BIOS Code space, memory map, fs info, and exec format info

12. FAT info and Disk info please!