MS-DOS Oberon Compiler
Author Message
 MS-DOS Oberon Compiler

Yesterday I downloaded the brand new MS-DOS Oberon and tried to make it run.

1) under DR-DOS 6:
In the CONFIG.SYS I delete the DEVICE=EMM386.SYS statement because
Expanded Memory is not accepted by the Oberon system.
Furthermore I let the DEVICE=HIDOS.SYS line. After that it works fine
though I don't play a lot with it.

2) under OS/2 2.0: Bad news
No way to make it work. Report always an ``illegal instruction'' warning.

So long,

Cedric Baechler, ETH Zuerich

Tue, 03 Jan 1995 19:02:21 GMT
 MS-DOS Oberon Compiler

Quote:
>Yesterday I downloaded the brand new MS-DOS Oberon and tried to make it run.
>1) under DR-DOS 6:
>In the CONFIG.SYS I delete the DEVICE=EMM386.SYS statement because
>Expanded Memory is not accepted by the Oberon system.
>Furthermore I let the DEVICE=HIDOS.SYS line. After that it works fine
>though I don't play a lot with it.
>2) under OS/2 2.0: Bad news
>No way to make it work. Report always an ``illegal instruction'' warning.
>So long,
>Cedric Baechler, ETH Zuerich

Hmm... Since EMM386.SYS and OS/2 2.0 do not work with this Oberon compiler,
may I suggest that the problem lies in the fact that a non DMPI compliant
DOS extender (VCPI comes to mind...) is used.

In this case, the only solution would be to request that the authors use a
DMPI compliant DOS extender or that a plain DOS version be compiled.

Good Health.

Changhao.

Wed, 04 Jan 1995 22:03:50 GMT
 MS-DOS Oberon Compiler

I have a clone 16 MHz 386 with 4 MB of memory. I tried various incarnations of
my CONFIG.SYS, i.e. removing the QEMM-386 line and replacing it with the
HIMEM.SYS. I can at least get Oberon-2 to start up but it immediately reboots
the system. Any ideas out there?
--
jeff finkelstein                | disclaimer:
digital equipment corporation   |   A horse is a horse, of course, of course.

Fri, 06 Jan 1995 22:33:41 GMT
 MS-DOS Oberon Compiler
Quote:
> I have a clone 16 MHz 386 with 4 MB of memory. I tried various incarnations of
> my CONFIG.SYS, i.e. removing the QEMM-386 line and replacing it with the
> HIMEM.SYS. I can at least get Oberon-2 to start up but it immediately reboots
> the system. Any ideas out there?
> --

It ran straight away for me -- all I did was disable the disk cache but I
don't use emm386.

The problem is one of expectation, it seems to be live but nothing actually
happens. Like most users I only have a 2 button mouse which I thought
simulated a 3 button by clicking both buttons, perhaps not.

It seems that our Oberon author has a thing or two to learn if he wants that
program to gain acceptance.

  TC.

Sat, 07 Jan 1995 08:44:45 GMT
 MS-DOS Oberon Compiler

Quote:

>I have a clone 16 MHz 386 with 4 MB of memory. I tried various incarnations of
>my CONFIG.SYS, i.e. removing the QEMM-386 line and replacing it with the
>HIMEM.SYS. I can at least get Oberon-2 to start up but it immediately reboots
>the system. Any ideas out there?
>--
>jeff finkelstein                | disclaimer:
>digital equipment corporation   |   A horse is a horse, of course, of course.

I had the same problem. In my case it seems to be the adaptec scsi driver
which caused that behaviour. My suggestion:

  Remove all device drivers but the absolutely necessary ones and
  incrementally add them to find out which one caused the trouble
  and which one you should leave

--

Turnackerstr. 57
7024 Filderstadt 1

Sun, 08 Jan 1995 05:34:38 GMT
 MS-DOS Oberon Compiler

Quote:
> The problem is one of expectation, it seems to be live but nothing actually
> happens. Like most users I only have a 2 button mouse which I thought
> simulated a 3 button by clicking both buttons, perhaps not.

I have used SPARC-Oberon daily for work in chemistry.  Both document
preparation and application development are ongoing.  One attractiveness
of Oberon is the potential to work in the same user environment on
a workstation, a Mac, and a PC.  Materials for a conference talk were
calculated, laid out, formed into graphics, and converted to postscript
entirely in this environment.  The talk cue sheet, with a cartoon of
each slide and time-point guidelines was also prepared in this environment.

Oberon is very expressive and invisible.  Just as I can desire to have
a word appear in this message, and my touch typing skills deliver it
without conscious thought, the point, click, interclick operations with
the mouse allow me to desire to change fonts, duplicate or erase a structure
in a drawing, change a text color in a phrase of an edited document
circling me and my boss --- and it appears without conscious thought.

It took me about 3-5 days before I could "touch drive" the mouse, and I had
to have the User Guide open to the mouse command section during this training.
Touch typing took far longer to learn...

Now:
     left-right interclick is a command to copy the font/color/size information
from the cursor position and apply it to the selected text.
     right-left interclick means to delete the selected text.
     middle means to underline the text at the cursor, and upon release, to
execute the command with that name.

So a 2-button mouse is sadly crippled.  Some mouse drivers allow the user to
emulate mouse actions with a set of numeric keypad strokes.  Perhaps this
would work initially.  Or perhaps some enterprising user would modify a
mouse driver TSR to deliver a demo script...

I have booted the MS-DOS version on a 4 Mb PS/2 55 sx and received the familar
opening viewer set.   I accepted this as success and let the machine owners

I have booted also on a Compaq Deskpro 386s with only 1 Mb RAM, a SyDos
removable cartridge scsi drive, and the Logitech mouseman.  The system starts,
and several applications will run, including Draw, the graphics editor,
and Write, one of the Text editors.  The listed requirements call for 2 Mb
of RAM, and indeed I run out without expressing the full use of the system.
A hardware upgrade is on order.

I have done various binary user data copies:

sparc --> MacII      Typeset text, drawings
dos386 ---> sparc  Typeset text, color drawings
Vax(ultrix) <--> sparc  Typeset text, drawings

Presumably, this demonstrates that user data can go between all these
machines trivially.  While this transfer is not promised as a stable part
of the system, it *has been demonstrated*

--aubrey mcintosh
--
Aubrey McIntosh  /  Chemistry  /  University of Texas  /  Austin, TX 78712
..another Gaelic learner...

Mon, 09 Jan 1995 03:12:46 GMT
 MS-DOS Oberon Compiler
Thanks for an explanation.

erase oberon.*

  TC.

Thu, 12 Jan 1995 11:38:40 GMT

1. Re^2: MS-DOS Oberon Compiler

2. XDS native code Modula/Oberon compilers: DEMO is available for MS-DOS

3. XDS native code Modula/Oberon compilers: DEMO is available for MS-DOS

4. Problem: MS-DOS Oberon and copy(to/from)msdos

5. MS-DOS Oberon (System3) on OS/2 2.1 ?

6. Trouble printing with MS-DOS Oberon System3 r1.5

7. MS-DOS Oberon

8. Seeking Oberon language and docs for MS-DOS

9. MS-DOS Oberon 1.0 Announcement

10. Oberon for MS-DOS

11. Bug in Oberon-M (MS-DOS)?

12. MS-DOS OBERON Demo ???