Looking for a Modula2 to C Compiler ...
Author Message
 Looking for a Modula2 to C Compiler ...

I haven't got much response on my request for information on any
     modula-2 compilers for the MIPS machines (MIPS, DEC Station, etc.).
     What little I have gotten is all negative -- no known vendors.  I'll
     summarize and post these and any further responses in about a week.

Now another question.  Does anyone have any information on a Modula-2 to
     C compiler?  We are looking at the possibility of re-implementing
     our source from M-2 to C.   Any pointers that would make this
     more feasible would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
John

Wed, 17 Feb 1993 22:50:00 GMT
 Looking for a Modula2 to C Compiler ...

Quote:

>Now another question.  Does anyone have any information on a Modula-2 to
>     C compiler?  We are looking at the possibility of re-implementing
>     our source from M-2 to C.   Any pointers that would make this
>     more feasible would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks in advance.
>John

Oh, well. There was a paper presented on the 1988 Augsburg meeting. Try
contacting SOS Software in Augsburg, West Germany. I don't have an
address for them here and now but it should be possible to obtain.

                                - Frode

Frode L. Odegard, Modula-2 CASE Systems, Maridalsveien 139, N-0461

Wed, 17 Feb 1993 06:41:00 GMT
 Looking for a Modula2 to C Compiler ...
I have found the following paper:

MOD2: A PRE-PROCESSOR FOR THE MODULA-2 LANGUAGE FOR C COMPILERS

by J. Crawford and F.P. Crawford,

Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation,
Lucas Heights Research Laboratories,
December 1987.

It describes a Modula-2 to C  translator  which  was  made  for  BSD  Unix
Pyramid  systems.  They  called  the  main programs involved m2c and mod2.
The modula-2 front end was based  on  Wirth's  original  4  pass  modula-2
compiler for the Lilith computer.

The object as I understand it was to make  a  portable  modula-2  compiler
(with output in C) rather than pass your modula-2 code through it once and
then say bye bye to modula-2.  I am wanting to do the latter!

I would like to know the mail address of these people  and  opinions  from
anybody  who  has  used  the product on whether it produces maintainable C
code as output, with the modula-2 comments left in etc.  I do not mind too
much  if it makes a few mistakes as I am intending to make improvements to
the code anyway.

Thanks for any responses except flames!

Fri, 19 Mar 1993 15:39:00 GMT

1. Looking for a Modula2 compiler/editor

2. Modula2 as First CS Language

3. MODULA2 AS FIRST CS LANGU

4. Modula2 as first CS Language

5. Modula2 as first CS language

7. Looking for a Modula2 tutorial

8. looking for Unix(Ultrix) modula2

9. Looking for C to Modula2 translator..

10. Looking for Electric Modula2 Mode for GNU Emac

11. Looking for Modula2 --> C translator

12. Looking for MODULA2 converter