New Modula-2 User
Author Message
 New Modula-2 User

Hi, I am a new Modula-2 user having just gotten the shareware compiler
and tutorial for it the day before yesterday.  So far it seems pretty
much like Turbo Pascal, but I am interested in the multiple-processing
ability that the intro to the tutorial said that it had.   Is the
multi-processing really
"workable" into programs?  I have a few more questions also  so I hope that
this is the right place to ask them.  First, how is Modula-2 for graphics?  I
know that in Turbo Pascal it is a pain anything above VGA to work, so I
would assume Modula-2 wouldn't be any better, but does it at least have
basic graphics routines?

Wed, 28 Dec 1994 05:01:53 GMT
 New Modula-2 User
Any programmers new to Modula-2 should at least read the book
"Programming in Modula-2" by Prof. N. Wirth

It explains the rational behind the language and modules.
The language is small, with few functions built in...
the functions are to be provided by a hieracrchy of modules
including all I/O functions.

Once you grasp that view of programming it becomes very useful.
The modules provide a method of abstraction of functions, and a well
build hierarchy of modules can provide functions with simple interfaces
that actually hide very complex operations.

Modules can be build by compiler writers and provided with the compiler
package, obtained as freeware/shareware, purchased from module developers,
or written by yourself.
And any module can build upon existing modules to produce higher level
of functionality.

So as far as graphics goes, you can pretty much do whatever you like
(i have with VGA, Regis, postscript) by creating a module to provide the
functions you need.
For instance, at home i use Multiscope 4.0 Modula-2. It provides two
graphics modules, one at a low level (which provides only basic operations)
and one which builds upon that one and provides more functions
(circles, elipses, text, etc.). But i extended that secone module with my own
VGAGraphics module which provides higher level functions (BeginVGA which enters
vga graphics high res mode and saves the current display state, EndVGA which
exits and returns to the original display state, etc.)

Perhaps someone else can suggest a good introductory text, but i still favour
Wirth's original book. BTW that book is often refered to as PIM2, and particular
editions as PIM2.2 or PIM2.3, etc. (my favourite is PIM2.2)

John Andrea
VAX System Manager
St. Francis Xavier Univ.
Antigonish, NS, Canada

Thu, 29 Dec 1994 22:56:15 GMT
 New Modula-2 User
Hi, first thanks for responding to my message... I don't know if my
compiler supports VGA, but I doubt that it does as it seems a little

Is Multiscope 4.0 Modula-2 a commercial program or shareware/public
domain.  What about the two graphics modules that you mentioned that it
came with?  One other question, when you said that you added higher
level functions to the modules, do you do this by programming in
Modula-2, assembly, or either?

Fri, 30 Dec 1994 07:32:05 GMT
 New Modula-2 User

>Perhaps someone else can suggest a good introductory text, but i
 still favour
>Wirth's original book. BTW that book is often refered to as PIM2, and
>editions as PIM2.2 or PIM2.3, etc. (my favourite is PIM2.2)

Here at NMSU they teach _Introduction_to_Computer_Science_with_Modula2
Authors:  J. Mack Adams, Philippe J. Gabrini, Barry L. Kurtz

Its pretty good on providing practical examples where you can use
Modula2, but doesn't tell you alot of things that you would want to
know.  Instead it appeals to the "installation specific" scapegoat.

Fri, 30 Dec 1994 12:36:37 GMT
 New Modula-2 User
Multiscope 4.0 Modula-2 is a commercial package (a good deal for the
price actually)
why not send them off a letter     Multiscope, Inc.
                                   1235 Pear Ave.
                                   Mountain View, CA
                                   USA   94043
or call at 415-968-4892

But if the FST people would only include a VGA graphics module they would
also have a great deal for the price

About the Multiscope graphics modules: they come with the package
How did i add more functionality: Modula-2 programs of course

John Andrea

Sun, 01 Jan 1995 02:13:04 GMT
 New Modula-2 User
BTW, if you know how to talk to the hardware, you can do almost
_anything_ in native M2 code, and it will be likely fast enough
except for perhaps raw copying of screen ram, which can be donew
with a little in-line assembler if you're up to it. Most M2
implementations have exceelent low level DOS and hardware support to
facilitate direct programming. M2 was designed with the idea of
implementing operating systems in it, so it's up to the task.

Sun, 01 Jan 1995 08:19:53 GMT

1. PreReview of New Modula2(also Re: Re: *New Modula-2

2. new user, new programmer

3. new user,new programmer

4. FST Modula-2 users

5. Russian Modula-2 User Seeks Contacts, Help

6. User opinion of Gardens Point Modula

7. Modula-2 User's Association (MODUS)

8. New Modula-2/Oberon-2 Emacs mode

9. New Modula-2 Textbook Review

10. Exceptions and New control structures in Modula 3

11. New edition of Modula-2 bible, some comments

12. M2Amiga, a new Modula-2 compiler