Generic Modula Compiler?
Author Message
 Generic Modula Compiler?

Hi,
Does anybody know whether there is a free "generic Modula-2 Compiler" ?
I think of something similar to the Zuerich "P4" Pascal compiler. This
compiler produced p-code and included an interpreter, but of course
you could also try to translate from p-code to assembly language of your
favourite machine. Something similar for Modula-2 would be IMHO desirable
and could serve as a base for production quality compilers.

--      Dirk

Tue, 24 Jan 1995 21:37:31 GMT
 Generic Modula Compiler?

|> Hi,
|> Does anybody know whether there is a free "generic Modula-2 Compiler" ?
|> I think of something similar to the Zuerich "P4" Pascal compiler. This
|> compiler produced p-code and included an interpreter, but of course
|> you could also try to translate from p-code to assembly language of your
|> favourite machine. Something similar for Modula-2 would be IMHO desirable
|> and could serve as a base for production quality compilers.

There is a Modula-2 to P-code compiler available for FTP from
gatekeeper.dec.com. The P code is different from other versions, but there
is a document describing it. There is a p-code to vax assembler translator
in the archive, or the compiler can be configured to emit Mips ucode.

See SIGPLAN 84 compiler conference or one of the Appendices in the
Dragon Book (Aho Sethi & Ullman) for an overview.

  Ian

                   180 Queensgate London SW7 UK.
"Experts from BNFL have advised the Russians to rename Chernobyl as Sellograd
 and open a tourist centre"

Thu, 26 Jan 1995 02:50:59 GMT

1. MOGLI: MOdula-2 GEM LIbrary for all Modula-2 ST compilers

2. Generic Modula-2 proposal

3. GENERIC TYPE IN MODULA-2

4. Generic Lists in Modula-2

5. Generic Lists in Modula-2

6. TRAP - generic compiler prototyping with Python

7. Complaint from compiler on generic instantiation

8. ANN: TRAP - generic compiler prototyping with Python

9. Q: generic children of generic packages?

10. (generic) child package of generic package; intantiation of

11. Non-generic children of generic packages

12. Generic using another generic instantiated elsewhere