Non-Proportional font
Author Message
 Non-Proportional font

Netters,
   In writing text materials for computing science, I like to present
programs in a non-proportional font.  Courier looks terrible, however, and I
have not seen anthing that looks much better.  (I like Bookman for the main
text, BTW.) The font should have a good distinguished bold and be very
legible.  It must be available for the Macintosh.  What are your
recommendations?  Please let me know whether your suggestion is:
(1) in Type 1 or TrueType
(2) general characteristics (serif, sans-serif, narrow or ??)
(3) commercial, freeware, or shareware (how much where applicable)
(4) where available
   If I get more than two or three replies, I will summarize back to the net
as well as to all those who write.

Sat, 29 Apr 1995 05:07:24 GMT
 Non-Proportional font

Quote:
>    In writing text materials for computing science, I like to present
> programs in a non-proportional font.  Courier looks terrible, however, and I
> have not seen anthing that looks much better.  (I like Bookman for the main
> text, BTW.) The font should have a good distinguished bold and be very
> legible.  It must be available for the Macintosh.  What are your
> recommendations?  Please let me know whether your suggestion is:
> (1) in Type 1 or TrueType
> (2) general characteristics (serif, sans-serif, narrow or ??)
> (3) commercial, freeware, or shareware (how much where applicable)
> (4) where available

Have you tried WEB? It is a sort of preprocessor for TeX (and for the compiler,
 if the presented material is a complete program). So if you know TeX, WEB is
 easy to learn. It allows you to mix text and programs. The programs are
 automatically pretty-printed by TeX-macros that WEB inserts. Typically,
 reserved words are bold, identifiers are in italics, but you can easily change
 that. The original WEB has a pretty-printer for Pascal, but there should be a
 version for Modula as well. I have created one for Oberon, with the help of the
 SpiderWEB package. As to the font: TeX normally uses the Computer Modern family
 (bitmapped, serifed, free), but postscript fonts work very well, too.

The drawback, of course, is that it is quite a distance from text entry to final
 print. The text is converted to TeX by WEB, the TeX text is converted to DVI by
 TeX, and DVI is printed or previewed, probably via PostScript. And only then do
 you see how it really looks. But for a computer scientist, that way of working
 is probably second nature.

Bert

Mon, 01 May 1995 18:57:51 GMT

1. Non-proportional fonts in list boxes.

2. Center Function For Proportional Fonts

3. Centering a proportional font

4. Tk4.0b2 mis-feature: tabs with proportional fonts

5. Query about proportional fonts in Smalltalk/V

6. Selecting non-English fonts for EditFields?

7. Tkinter and NON iso8859-1 fonts

8. Hardcoded non-system-default font in msgbox.tcl

9. Drop-down in a proportional layout manager

10. Correct usage of proportional scrollbars

11. Proportional Temperature Controller

12. Why the execution times of VISA write is not linearly proportional with Byte sent