Modula-3
Author Message
 Modula-3

This enquiry is being made on behalf of a local friend who is
looking for information regarding MODULA-3; indeed, until he had
asked me about this, I wasn't even aware that Wirth had revamped the
language. Between the two of us, we're completely at a loss over 3.

Are there any recommendations over 3's suppliers ? Where ? How much ?
What are the virtues of 3 over 2 ?

Any help that can be rendered would be greatly appreciated.

By the way....are there any DEC Rainbow people out there ?

Semper Fi
RTP

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!229!414!Rt.Pollock

Sun, 07 May 1995 03:01:01 GMT
 Modula-3

Quote:
>This enquiry is being made on behalf of a local friend who is
>looking for information regarding MODULA-3; indeed, until he had
>asked me about this, I wasn't even aware that Wirth had revamped the
>language. Between the two of us, we're completely at a loss over 3.

Modula-3 is not by Wirth, it has been developed by DEC and Olivetti.

Quote:
>Are there any recommendations over 3's suppliers ?

Right now, there is only one compiler (from DEC SRC). A second system is under
development in a GNU project.

Where ?
At gatekeeper.dec.com in pub/DEC/Modula-3.

How much ?
Free.

Quote:
>What are the virtues of 3 over 2 ?

Modula-3 has almost everything you always missed in Modula-2. It is generally a
Modula-2 superset with the following major enhancements:
- garbage collecion
- exception handling
- single inheritance
- light weight processes
- generics
Some of the minor points are record and array constructors, named parameter
passing, default values for record fields and formal parameters, and a
built-in type for strings. And it buys you all this without making the
language overly complicated.

For more details, get the Modula-3 FAQ (at gatekeeper) and take a look at
comp.lang.modula3.

Peter
---

Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik III      Tel.: +49/241/80-21320
Ahornstrasse 55                    Fax.: +49/241/80-21329
RWTH Aachen
D-5100 Aachen
Germany

Fri, 12 May 1995 03:09:40 GMT
 Modula-3

Quote:
>looking for information regarding MODULA-3; indeed, until he had
>asked me about this, I wasn't even aware that Wirth had revamped the
>language. Between the two of us, we're completely at a loss over 3.

>Semper Fi

Modula-3 is not designed by N. Wirth. In fact, it takes a totally
different approach than W's Oberon design.

DEC's SRC and ?RC (oops, forgot...) research centers designed, and
implemented it.

 v   WPK                                                           _
                     W P K  m i c r o m e d i a                 _ //
----------------------------------------------------------------\X/---

Thu, 11 May 1995 13:15:11 GMT
 Modula-3

Quote:
> Modula-3 is not by Wirth, it has been developed by DEC and Olivetti.

While N. Wirth indeed was working on Oberon as his main project, he did
contribute to Modula 3 (he came to several meetings at DEC Systems Research
Center). Similarly, Lucas Cardelli, most famous in the ML world, did
contribute to the Modula 3 language definition.

Quote:
> - garbage collecion
> - exception handling
> - single inheritance
> - light weight processes
> - generics

You may also want to know that it comes with extensive libraries as well,
including a very nice high level interface to X windows. Enjoy!

Dept of Electrical and Computer Eng.
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal             tel: (514) 340-4029

Fri, 12 May 1995 22:54:17 GMT

1. translation tools C to Modula-2 and Modula-2 to C

2. Modula-2 for cp/m-80 (was: turbo Modula-2)

3. Report on defect in M2 vs C (Was Modula-2, Modula-3, C o

4. Interfacing C/C++ to Modula-3/Oberon Re (2): Use of Modula-3

5. MODULA-2 (OR MODULA-3) GRAMMAR

6. Modula-2 and Modula-3

7. Not JPI, Was: Modula-2 and Modula-3

8. Modula-2, Modula-3, C or C++

9. Report on defect in M2 vs C (Was Modula-2, Modula-3, C or C++)

10. Report on defect in M2 vs C (Was Modula-2, Modula-3, C o

11. Modula-2/modula-3 complier

12. Looking for Modula-2C - An Object-Oriented Extension of Modula-2