sets in modula
Author Message
 sets in modula

        Reply to:   RE>sets in modula
Re:
I understand that modula has some built in set functions, but none of the
books
I have on modula seems to discuss it in any useful terms...I'm talking about
things such as finding unions, determining subsets ect...if someone could
fill me in on these commands it would really be helpful...

1. Introduction to Programming Using Modula-2 by Richard J. Sutcliffe
Charles Merrill Pub. (available from the new owners - Maxwell Macmillan)
has a complete discussion of this topic.

2. Sets operations are
union +
intersection *
set difference -
symmetric set difference (EOR) /
containment is indicated by using the relational operators <  <=  >  >=
elementhood by    a IN A

R. Sutcliffe
Trinity Western University

Mon, 05 Sep 1994 22:39:26 GMT
 sets in modula

Quote:

>2. Sets operations are
>union +
>intersection *
>set difference -
>symmetric set difference (EOR) /
>containment is indicated by using the relational operators <  <=  >  >=
>elementhood by    a IN A

  Unfortunately, Modula-2 still lacks a set complement operator.  As far
as I can tell, even the ISO standard will not correct this oversight.

Tue, 06 Sep 1994 14:30:38 GMT
 sets in modula

Quote:

>>2. Sets operations are
>>union +
>>intersection *
>>set difference -
>>symmetric set difference (EOR) /
>>containment is indicated by using the relational operators <  <=  >  >=
>>elementhood by    a IN A

>   Unfortunately, Modula-2 still lacks a set complement operator.  As far
> as I can tell, even the ISO standard will not correct this oversight.

Presumably the set complement could be used to express the "full set"
easily also - by complementing the null set.
(...assuming that that omission from Pascal hasn't been
covered while I wasn't paying attention).

Brian Clausing

Wed, 07 Sep 1994 11:52:46 GMT

1. >sets in modula

2. sets in modula

3. How to program set(X) + set(a) = set(X)

4. How to program set(X) + set(a) = set(X)

5. translation tools C to Modula-2 and Modula-2 to C

6. Modula-2 for cp/m-80 (was: turbo Modula-2)

7. Report on defect in M2 vs C (Was Modula-2, Modula-3, C o

8. Interfacing C/C++ to Modula-3/Oberon Re (2): Use of Modula-3

9. MODULA-2 (OR MODULA-3) GRAMMAR

10. Modula-2 and Modula-3

11. Not JPI, Was: Modula-2 and Modula-3

12. Modula-2, Modula-3, C or C++