why 3 button mice
Author Message
 why 3 button mice

Replied on Friday
In a msg from Larry Smith it was said:

A part of the msg fell off! A max of 150 lines/msg is allowed in
IFNA compliant readers.

Just thougth I'd inform you.

F\

(2:512/172.1)

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!3645!20!Floor.A.C..Naaijkens

Fri, 12 May 1995 19:05:24 GMT
 why 3 button mice

Quote:
>In a msg from Larry Smith it was said:
>A part of the msg fell off! A max of 150 lines/msg is allowed in
>IFNA compliant readers.
>Just thougth I'd inform you.

Perhaps you should switch to a NON-ifna compliant reader, Floor.  In any
event, what am _I_ supposed to do about it?  The world is obviously not
hung up on IFNA-compliant newsreaders, and when I post something longer
than 150 lines it's because I have a good reason to.  I see no point to
breaking up the message and increasing bandwidth and reducing readability
to comply with your nitwit "standard".  Try mxrn.

-
Liberty is not the freedom to do whatever we want,
it is the freedom to do whatever we are able.

Sun, 14 May 1995 23:26:53 GMT
 why 3 button mice
Lawrence C Smith (1:105/42) writes to All:

Quote:
>>A part of the msg fell off! A max of 150 lines/msg is allowed in
>>IFNA compliant readers.

 >Perhaps you should switch to a NON-ifna compliant reader, Floor.
 >In any event, what am _I_ supposed to do about it?  The world is
 > obviously not hung up on IFNA-compliant newsreaders, and when I
 >post something longer than 150 lines it's because I have a good
 >reason to.

First off, IFNA is the International Fido Net Association or some such and it is the body that pretends to govern the technical standards for FTN ("Fido Net Technology") networks.  Since you don't seem to appreciate that this newsgroup is gated to a network with an entirely different technology, I thought I would bring that to your attention.

The REASON that it is gated is because some fool thinks it's a good idea.  I believe that the gating has been detrimental to this side of the gateway as the Internet people tend to want to talk about Oberon-2 and Modula-3 and generally get away with anything they want while the FidoNetters have long since disappeared because of the vehemence with which they were discouraged from talking about anything that isn't narrowly about Modula-2.  So it goes.

Another problem is the fact that while the people on the Internet can send mail directly to any of the FidoNetters, it is essentially impossible to go in the other direction.  That means that conversations can't spin off, as this one should have.

Anyway, the IFNA does not specify a maximum limit to the messages.  (I consider this a weakness, but I'm in the minority.)  It is known that messages above certain sizes (12k is typical) may have difficulty passing through the network but that size is given in characters, not lines.  Some readers have limits, but they tend to be unpopular because they have limits.  I believe that your message showed up here in its entirety.

 > I see no point to breaking up the message and
 >increasing bandwidth and reducing readability to comply with
 >your nitwit "standard".  Try mxrn.

mxrn isn't really appropriate because we aren't reading news, we're reading FidoNet messages.  Any breaking up of messages (were they deemed necessary) would have been handled at the gateway.  I hope this is clear.

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!106!2000.25!Jon.Guthrie

Thu, 18 May 1995 04:51:34 GMT

1. Why 3 button mice in Oberon?

2. Why 3 button mice in Oberon?

3. Why 3 button mice in

4. left mouse button = right mouse button

5. why why why (mouse related question)

6. detecting mouse motion at mouse button release

7. leftmouse button is right mouse button ???

8. Mice, mice, mice, mice ...

9. Mice, mice, mice, mice ...

10. why why why oh why why baby

11. catch mouse buttons in APL