FTL Modula-2
Author Message
 FTL Modula-2

The following info appears in one of the source files
with the CP/M-80 version of FTL Modula-2 (circa 1986)...

        Dave Moore
         FTL Modula-2
        Workman and Associates
        112 Marion Drive
        Pasadena California 91106
        (Ph) (818) 796 4401

Greg

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~telic
March 16, 1999, Toronto, Canada.

Sat, 01 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FTL Modula-2

Quote:

> The following info appears in one of the source files
> with the CP/M-80 version of FTL Modula-2 (circa 1986)...

thanks a lot. I immediately looked for traces of him and his compiler
on the web and found following on http://byte.com/art/9604/sec5/art2.htm,
a page that features past articles of the BYTE magazine:

Jerry Pournelle, BYTE magazine, April 1986:

| The best software item I discovered at COMDEX wasn't in a booth. Barry
| Workman had his Australian friend, Dave Moore, in tow. Both were eager
| to tell me about Moore's new Modula-2 compiler.
|
| When we got back to Los Angeles, I understood why. They're calling it,
| FTL Modula-2, and it's to every other Z80 Modula-2 what Turbo Pascal is
| to every other Pascal. FTL Modula-2 is fast; compiles to tight,
| fast-running code; and has an integral text editor. There are
| installation procedures for putting it onto every terminal Dave and
| Barry could get hold of; they even set it up to run on Zeke with his
| memory-mapped VDM board. They also have it running on the big Compupro
| 2 86/Z80. and I am amazed to find that FTL Modula-2 on the Z80 compiles
| about as fast as Logitech Modula-2 on the 286.  FTL Modula-2 is
| reasonably priced; is not copy-protected; has a simple and sane
| licensing agreement; comes with good, clearly written, well-indexed
| documentation; and works. It wouldn't hurt to have a couple of other
| books, but you certainly can begin to write Modula-2 programs with
| nothing but the compiler and its documents; there are all kinds of
| source-code examples included.
|
| FTL Modula-2 should do for the Modula-2 language what Turbo Pascal did
| for Pascal. If you have a Z80 machine and you're at all interested in
| languages, get FTL Modula-2. You won't regret it.  Meanwhile, Dave
| Moore went back to Australia to write code generators to get FTL
| Modula-2 running on 68000, 8088, and 80286 machines. Watch for new
| developments.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Borchert, Universitaet Ulm, SAI, Helmholtzstr. 18, 89069 Ulm,  Germany

WWW:    http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/sai/borchert/

Sat, 01 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FTL Modula-2

Quote:

> The following info appears in one of the source files
> with the CP/M-80 version of FTL Modula-2 (circa 1986)...

>       Dave Moore
>          FTL Modula-2
>       Workman and Associates
>       112 Marion Drive
>       Pasadena California 91106
>       (Ph) (818) 796 4401

They handled it in the States, it was effectively one of Jerry Pournelle's
sons. In the UK it was distributed by Hisoft.

-- Mark Morgan Lloyd

--
-- [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]

Sat, 01 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. FTL Modula 2

2. FTL Modula-2

3. FTL Modula-2 for CP/M

4. FTL Modula 2

5. FTL in MSDOS

6. FTL User manual available (for museum?)

7. FTL Modula2

8. FTL Modula2

9. translation tools C to Modula-2 and Modula-2 to C

10. Modula-2 for cp/m-80 (was: turbo Modula-2)

11. Report on defect in M2 vs C (Was Modula-2, Modula-3, C o

12. Interfacing C/C++ to Modula-3/Oberon Re (2): Use of Modula-3