Modula-2 in the real world (was: See Summary! M-2 discus
Author Message
 Modula-2 in the real world (was: See Summary! M-2 discus

JH> I would be interested in seeing how many folks would want to do a GNU-
JH> Modula-2 compiler for Unix platforms. Any takers? I have a couple of o
JH> early Xenix machines (so early that calling it V7 with some BSD'isms i
JH> _real_ close), one of which could be dedicated to such a project and
JH> given its own address and anonymous uucp phone line. After all, if a
JH> compiler will run under V7, it will most likely run under just about
JH> anything Unix-ish (eg. Minix, Xinu, Xenix, et. al.).

I think that if a GOOD M2 compiler is avialable for UNIX, it would probably
save the future of computing science from C/C++.  However, it must be a dman
good and modern implementation.  You should have seen the M2 compiler avialable
on my school's UNIX system, the editor is worst then EDLIN !!!

A good and modern implementation of a M2 compiler should have the following
features...

  a.  Integrated Developmnet Environment.
  b.  Uses various GUI aviable on the Unix interactively.
  c.  Good On-line help with examples.
  d.  Good M2 modules, especially for InOut and SYSTEM, to interface
      with the underlying Unix system.
  e.  Reasonable optimization...

I strongly encourage you to start the project... So maybe when I graduate
you'll have an establised product and I can come and work for you... ;-}

Good Health

Changhao.

Mon, 12 Sep 1994 03:03:15 GMT
 Modula-2 in the real world (was: See Summary! M-2 discus

Quote:
> JH> I would be interested in seeing how many folks would want to do a GNU-
> JH> Modula-2 compiler for Unix platforms. Any takers? I have a couple of o
> I think that if a GOOD M2 compiler is avialable for UNIX, it would probably
> save the future of computing science from C/C++.  However, it must be a dman

Don't forget that a GNU Modula 3 compiler is in the works and is trying to
do just that (save the world from C++).

Dept of Electrical and Computer Eng.
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal             tel: (514) 340-4029

Mon, 12 Sep 1994 18:27:55 GMT
 Modula-2 in the real world (was: See Summary! M-2 discus
   A good and modern implementation of a M2 compiler should have the following
   features...

     a.  Integrated Developmnet Environment.
     b.  Uses various GUI aviable on the Unix interactively.
     c.  Good On-line help with examples.
     d.  Good M2 modules, especially for InOut and SYSTEM, to interface
         with the underlying Unix system.
     e.  Reasonable optimization...

I think that only d. and e. are _really_ important i.e. make it _fast_
and make it _compatible_ with UNIX.

IMHO you can get the first three for free by just using GNU Emacs with
the documentation written as a TeXinfo file.  Of course, I don't
expect any vi users to agree with me about that :-)

bevan

Tue, 13 Sep 1994 05:08:51 GMT
 Modula-2 in the real world (was: See Summary! M-2 discus

Quote:

>JH> I would be interested in seeing how many folks would want to do a GNU-
>JH> Modula-2 compiler for Unix platforms. Any takers? I have a couple of o
>JH> early Xenix machines (so early that calling it V7 with some BSD'isms i
>JH> _real_ close), one of which could be dedicated to such a project and
>JH> given its own address and anonymous uucp phone line. After all, if a
>JH> compiler will run under V7, it will most likely run under just about
>JH> anything Unix-ish (eg. Minix, Xinu, Xenix, et. al.).

>I think that if a GOOD M2 compiler is avialable for UNIX, it would probably
>save the future of computing science from C/C++.  However, it must be a dman
>good and modern implementation.  You should have seen the M2 compiler avialable
>on my school's UNIX system, the editor is worst then EDLIN !!!

>A good and modern implementation of a M2 compiler should have the following
>features...

>  a.  Integrated Developmnet Environment.
>  b.  Uses various GUI aviable on the Unix interactively.
>  c.  Good On-line help with examples.
>  d.  Good M2 modules, especially for InOut and SYSTEM, to interface
>      with the underlying Unix system.
>  e.  Reasonable optimization...

>I strongly encourage you to start the project... So maybe when I graduate
>you'll have an establised product and I can come and work for you... ;-}

>Good Health

>Changhao.

Rather than a "product", I would much prefer a compiler system which is
user developed and user supported. This approach _can_ work, as has been
shown by the GNU C++ compiler.

--
|     John M. Hughes      | "...unfolding in consciousness at the            |
| datalog.com!moondog!jmh | deliberate speed of pondering."  - Daniel Dennet |

Tue, 13 Sep 1994 06:03:27 GMT
 Modula-2 in the real world (was: See Summary! M-2 discus

Quote:

> I think that if a GOOD M2 compiler is avialable for UNIX, it would probably
> save the future of computing science from C/C++.  However, it must be a dman
> good and modern implementation.

I have personal doubts that a good M2 system will revive the hopes of
M2, and make it a common system.  There are too many newer better
languages around to allow M2 to reign IMHO.

Quote:
> A good and modern implementation of a M2 compiler should have the following
> features...

Next follows the commercial.

Quote:
>   a.  Integrated Developmnet Environment.

IDEs are not necessarily a sign of a good system.  In informal
surveys it seems that most experienced people prefer to use a
flexible system, so that they can use all of their favorite tools.
Though any good system must have a good debugging tool, that is
easy to use, included.

Quote:
>   b.  Uses various GUI aviable on the Unix interactively.

Any of the GUIs I've used in Unix will allow you to simply use
a line oriented system?  Are you meaning that you should be able
to use the M2 system within the GUI, or do you mean that you should
be able to program for the GUI??

Quote:
>   c.  Good On-line help with examples.

Our GPM compiler has excellent error reporting facilities and
comments.

Quote:
>   d.  Good M2 modules, especially for InOut and SYSTEM, to interface
>       with the underlying Unix system.

Hopefully your M2 compiler will be standardized, in which case Unix
stuff needs to stay out of these modules.  Our GPM compiler has all
the facilities needed to do any Unix specific thing.

Quote:
>   e.  Reasonable optimization...

Again our GPM compiler has exceptionally good optimization in informal
comparison to the good optimizing C compilers.

So if you are looking for a reasonably good M2 compiler for Unix look
for GPM at a store near you (like RTS).  And as a bonus we will give
an unlimited site licence for our MS-DOS version of the compiler as
well.

Commercial over.

Au revoir,

Sat, 17 Sep 1994 01:38:43 GMT

1. Modula-2 in the real world (was: See Summary! M-2 discus

2. Modula-2 in the real world (was: See Summary! M-2 discus

3. OOP in the "real world" (SUMMARY)

4. Modula-2 in the real world

5. Modula-2 in the real world

6. Modula-2 in the real world

7. Modula-2 in the real world (was: See Summary! M-2 discussion...)

8. Modula-2 in the real world (was: See Summary!

9. Am I seeing things?...

10. Test: Seeing if Google is updating USENET posts in real-time

11. arbitrary-precision real arithmetic (SUMMARY)

12. arbitrary-precision real arithmetic (SUMMARY)