TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"
Author Message
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Does anyone know a fix or workaround or option that would solve the
"Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex" error message from
TopSpeed XTD Release 3.1?

After converting a large number of modules from Basic to TopSpeed Modula2,
a couple of them compile but then stop with the above error during
optimisation.  Turning off all project optimisation options doesn't help.
There doesn't seem to be one particular feature of these two programs which
trigger the problem -- instead, it's a straw that breaks the camel's back
after a certain level of complexity demands too much "dynamic pool",
whatever that might be.

Incidentally, the one of these recalcitrant programs that I've studied
doesn't look all that complex to me, although there are a fair number of
global and procedure variables and a pretty big stretch of code in one
procedure.  Breaking this procedure up sufficiently to satisfy TS is
desireable, but easier said than done.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Schumacher
Creative Systems, Inc.

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

You have identified the key point: one procedure is too large.
The only solution I have found is to split the procedure in
question. It is debatable whether one procedure should ever be
so large in the first place, but since you are porting from BASIC
I can understand - I had a tendency to write much larger procedure
in BASIC than I have ever done in Modula-2 or Oberon.

Hope that helps.

Chris Peachment
Developer of the Edipar Oberon Compiler for DOS
http://www.interlog.com/~edipar/oberon.html

---------------

Quote:
>Does anyone know a fix or workaround or option that would solve the
>"Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex" error message from
>TopSpeed XTD Release 3.1?

>After converting a large number of modules from Basic to TopSpeed Modula2,
>a couple of them compile but then stop with the above error during
>optimisation.  Turning off all project optimisation options doesn't help.
>There doesn't seem to be one particular feature of these two programs which
>trigger the problem -- instead, it's a straw that breaks the camel's back
>after a certain level of complexity demands too much "dynamic pool",
>whatever that might be.

>Incidentally, the one of these recalcitrant programs that I've studied
>doesn't look all that complex to me, although there are a fair number of
>global and procedure variables and a pretty big stretch of code in one
>procedure.  Breaking this procedure up sufficiently to satisfy TS is
>desireable, but easier said than done.

>Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

>Stephen Schumacher
>Creative Systems, Inc.

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

If i remember right:
this happend when procedures are passed a lot of parameters
 - try using a record structure as parameter
or if a case structure was too big
 - split it into distict ones

hope this helps
 Dieter

Quote:

> Does anyone know a fix or workaround or option that would solve the
> "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex" error message from
> TopSpeed XTD Release 3.1?

> After converting a large number of modules from Basic to TopSpeed Modula2,
> a couple of them compile but then stop with the above error during
> optimisation.  Turning off all project optimisation options doesn't help.
> There doesn't seem to be one particular feature of these two programs which
> trigger the problem -- instead, it's a straw that breaks the camel's back
> after a certain level of complexity demands too much "dynamic pool",
> whatever that might be.

> Incidentally, the one of these recalcitrant programs that I've studied
> doesn't look all that complex to me, although there are a fair number of
> global and procedure variables and a pretty big stretch of code in one
> procedure.  Breaking this procedure up sufficiently to satisfy TS is
> desireable, but easier said than done.

> Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> Stephen Schumacher
> Creative Systems, Inc.

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Quote:
>Does anyone know a fix or workaround or option that would solve the
>"Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex" error message from
>TopSpeed XTD Release 3.1?

>After converting a large number of modules from Basic to TopSpeed Modula2,
>a couple of them compile but then stop with the above error during
>optimisation.  Turning off all project optimisation options doesn't help.
>There doesn't seem to be one particular feature of these two programs which
>trigger the problem -- instead, it's a straw that breaks the camel's back
>after a certain level of complexity demands too much "dynamic pool",
>whatever that might be.

>Incidentally, the one of these recalcitrant programs that I've studied
>doesn't look all that complex to me, although there are a fair number of
>global and procedure variables and a pretty big stretch of code in one
>procedure.  Breaking this procedure up sufficiently to satisfy TS is
>desireable, but easier said than done.

>Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

>Stephen Schumacher
>Creative Systems, Inc.

Im my installation of TS-M2 there exists an enhanced version of TSISL.DLL
which manages long procs better. On the downside it is slower than the
original TSISL.DLL.

Olaf Klingeberg

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Quote:
> You have identified the key point: one procedure is too large.
> The only solution I have found is to split the procedure in
> question. It is debatable whether one procedure should ever be
> so large in the first place, but since you are porting from BASIC
> I can understand - I had a tendency to write much larger procedure
> in BASIC than I have ever done in Modula-2 or Oberon.

> Hope that helps.

> Chris Peachment
> Developer of the Edipar Oberon Compiler for DOS
> http://www.interlog.com/~edipar/oberon.html

> ---------------

>  writes:
> >Does anyone know a fix or workaround or option that would solve the
> >"Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex" error message from
> >TopSpeed XTD Release 3.1?

> >After converting a large number of modules from Basic to TopSpeed Modula2,
> >a couple of them compile but then stop with the above error during
> >optimisation.  Turning off all project optimisation options doesn't help.

I have sometimes seen the "Dynamic pool limit exceded" message when
rebuilding huge projects, and the fix there is to quit and then
restart the build and it picks up reliably from where it left off.

I vaguely remember "procedure too complex" but thought that was
something entirely different which broke the code generator.
IIR lots of global vairables is a major factor in this.
Never heard of the two together.

BTW the procedure must be absolutely gross to do this and should
for the sake of your sanity be restructured.

Regards,
--

Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Quote:
>Does anyone know a fix or workaround or option that would solve the
>"Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex" error message from
>TopSpeed XTD Release 3.1?

When we are talking about ISL errors, I came accross some more :

- All modules compile, but when linking, the mainmodule pops up in the
   error window, and the error on the first char is " Error ISL 210".
   The module is 110 lines or so, and nothing special. I checked the source
    for weird ascii, but I found nothing.

- "Dynamic pool limit Exceeded ISL.ARGS"
   looks like your error, but just a bit different. I deleted some very big
   case loops, and removed 400 cardinal constants from an imported .DEF, so
   all weird things disappeared.

Both sources are on the web on \

www.stack.nl/~marcov
File : XTDLIB98.ZIP

Error sources : SNOW.MOD (ISL error 210) JPIDEM (EXCEEDED ISL.ARGS error)

Could you mail me your error source? I'll try to find similarities.

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

(1) The suggestion that calling procedures with excessive numbers of
arguments may trigger the error seems right on the money -- this happens a
lot in these converted Basic modules.  I'll look especially into this.

(2) Where can I get Olaf Klingebergln's enhanced TSISL.DLL which manages
long procs better?

Quote:

>    looks like your error, but just a bit different. I deleted some very big
>    case loops, and removed 400 cardinal constants from an imported .DEF, so
>    all weird things disappeared.

   What are case loops?  Case statements inside loops, or what?

   I'm toying with rewriting my basic->m2 converter to reduce the number
of temporary variable names, wondering whether reducing total symbols will
relieve the problem.  I'd think not, since this is different from
procedure complexity, but your experience with the 400 constants makes me
think it might be worth a try.

Quote:

> File : XTDLIB98.ZIP
> Error sources : SNOW.MOD (ISL error 210) JPIDEM (EXCEEDED ISL.ARGS error)
> Could you mail me your error source? I'll try to find similarities.

   Wow! I just downloaded 97 yesterday afternoon, and this morning 98 is
available!

   I could mail you the source .MOD once I get to the office computer
where it resides.  However, there's also gobs of .DEF files needed to test
the behavior, and I'm unsure about sending all of them.  Would the .MOD be
enough?

   Thanks to everyone for all the informed, helpful, overnight responses!
This Modula-2 newsgroup is great.

   Steve Schumacher
   Creative Systems, Inc.
--

   Community News OnLine - http://www.olympus.net/leader/cno
   Automated production software for online newspapers

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Quote:
>(2) Where can I get Olaf Klingebergln's enhanced TSISL.DLL which manages
>long procs better?

Stephen,

the enhanced tsisl(~120K) resides in the OS2_SYS directory, so it will only
work with the extended compiler.

Im not sure from where I got that file, years ago ... (maybe from the
library of the Topspeed-forum on Compuserve).

ask in the comp.lang.clarion-newsgroup which is monitored by at least 1
Topspeed-employee (R.B.Eggen) or you e-mail me directly.

Bye,
Olaf Klingeberg

 --** suspended TS M2 --- sweat, fear, pulling hair out & curses **--

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Quote:
>Does anyone know a fix or workaround or option that would solve the
>"Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex" error message from
>TopSpeed XTD Release 3.1?

>Stephen Schumacher
>Creative Systems, Inc.

When I was still using TopSpeed, I had to split large modules several
times. The most radical approach is to switch to a true 32-bit
compiler.
I am now using Stonybrook Modula-2 and I like it. It has an excellent
de{*filter*} (better than TopSpeed's in my opinion) and the support by
email is very useful.
There still are some negative points however: there is no help
function implemented as yet (promised but not yet ready) which gave me
some trouble during the first three weeks or so*), and no graphic and
sound modules for DOS (but lots of Windows stuff!).
When I made the switch, there were no TopSpeed compatible libraries
yet (Stonybrook is ISO compatible and has all the ISO standard
libraries). When I at last received an email with the zipped
TS-compatible libraries I had already written everything myself...
apart from the Graph library for which I did not have the expertise.
And they also did not write a Graph library, which was a
disappointment of course.
OOP is not implemented for the Stonybrook compiler. It took me a long
time to convert a rather large OOP module to non-OOP. Fortunately it
was the only module in which I used the TopSpeed OOP facilites.
Many conversions from TopSpeed syntax to the somewhat different
Stonybrook syntax can be done automativcally. I wrote a little program
which does just that. You can have it if you like.
It goes without saying that 32-bit Dos (which I use now) is a lot
faster than 16 bit DOS (TopSpeed).

Regards,

Rob.

*) Resulting in me sending them scores of emails with stupid questions
which they (Richard and Norman) promtly answered. They never
complained. Had there been an help function that would have saved both
parties time. They could have used the extra time to write a beautiful
Graph module....

Tue, 30 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Quote:
>Many conversions from TopSpeed syntax to the somewhat different
> Stonybrook syntax can be done automativcally. I wrote a little program
> which does just that. You can have it if you like.

Rob, I tried responding to you by e-mail, but it was bounced back to me for
some reason, so I'm posting this to the group.

Yes, we're interested in the Stonybrook option down the road, so I
appreciated your story.  I'm finishing up a robust Basic->TS M2 converter,
so I'd be very interested in playing with your "little program", so please

Thanks,
Steve Schumacher
Creative Systems

Wed, 01 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

As an update, we were finally able to rewrite one of our programs to
sidestep this error, but it still occurs for another program that we don't
need to fix immediately.  I tried the enhanced TSISL.DLL that Olaf alluded
to, but it didn't do the trick for us.

Stephen Schumacher
Creative Systems, Inc.

Thu, 02 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Quote:
> Does anyone know a fix or workaround or option that would solve the
> "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex" error message from
> TopSpeed XTD Release 3.1?

What happens if you use the real-mode or (spit) OS/2 variants?

Mark Morgan Lloyd

[Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]

** Internet feed may be unreliable- please cc anything important by email
**

Sat, 04 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Quote:

> > Does anyone know a fix or workaround or option that would solve the
> > "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex" error message from
> > TopSpeed XTD Release 3.1?

Try to split your procedures in smaller ones. In most cases this will
help.
--

Regards
        Peter

Sat, 04 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Quote:

>(1) The suggestion that calling procedures with excessive numbers of
>arguments may trigger the error seems right on the money -- this happens a
>lot in these converted Basic modules.  I'll look especially into this.

These are generic runtime errors of the compile-make system. I don't expect
all ISL errors to be results of this.

Quote:
>(2) Where can I get Olaf Klingebergln's enhanced TSISL.DLL which manages
>long procs better?

Is included, in (when the compiler is installedc default)

Quote:

>>    looks like your error, but just a bit different. I deleted some very big
>>    case loops, and removed 400 cardinal constants from an imported .DEF, so
>>    all weird things disappeared.
>   What are case loops?  Case statements inside loops, or what?

No, I meant a CASE ..... END; statement, with all cases. Sorry for the
confusion, I instinctively call all keyword...END statements loops, except
for IF's.

Anyway, I deleted 3 CASE statements with about 70 cases each, I expected
this to be the error, but it wasn't. The module still wouldn't compile.

Quote:
>   I'm toying with rewriting my basic->m2 converter to reduce the number
>of temporary variable names, wondering whether reducing total symbols will
>relieve the problem.  I'd think not, since this is different from
>procedure complexity, but your experience with the 400 constants makes me
>think it might be worth a try.

>> File : XTDLIB98.ZIP
>> Error sources : SNOW.MOD (ISL error 210) JPIDEM (EXCEEDED ISL.ARGS error)
>> Could you mail me your error source? I'll try to find similarities.
>   Wow! I just downloaded 97 yesterday afternoon, and this morning 98 is
>available!

I just uploaded 99. But this is not the normal flow :-) between 96 and 97 passed
almost half an year.

Because I got a major project running (pulldown), I can add little pieces of
code to the project, and the effects are dramatical. I expect the
release-frequency  to drop when PullDown has 'crystallized' a bit.

99 is merely bugfixes(PullDown related and EMOUSE) and extensions to
PullDown-system anyway. I got fed up with the Pulldown system, so I stop
programming it for a while. I'm now busy mimicing the TopSpeed helpfile
system. I can almost compile a TopSpeed helpfile source to an own format.
. See also posts below.

Quote:
>   I could mail you the source .MOD once I get to the office computer
>where it resides.  However, there's also gobs of .DEF files needed to test
>the behavior, and I'm unsure about sending all of them.  Would the .MOD be
>enough?

You could zip the sources and attach them to me, or upload them to a site.

Sat, 04 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TS "Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded procedure too complex"

Quote:
>As an update, we were finally able to rewrite one of our programs to
>sidestep this error,

How?

Sat, 04 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Dynamic Pool Limit exceeded

2. Dynamic pool limit exceed

3. Dynamic pool limit exceeded in TSCLAW.idn (Identifier spellings)

4. Dynamic pool limit exceeded isl.labs

5. Dynamic pool limit exceeded isl.plists when compiling .app at 16-bits

6. Dynamic pool limit exceeded isl.plists

7. Dynamic Pool limit exceeded in isl.labs

8. Dynamic Pool Limit Exceeded

9. Dynamic pool limit exceeded isl.labs ??? HELP

10. Dynamic pool limit exceeded

11. Error:Dynamic pool limit exceeded isl.labs

12. Dynamic Pool Limit exceeded in TSCLAW.sym (symbols) ??????