FAQ for comp.lang.modula2 - 92.7.25 v0.0
Author Message
 FAQ for comp.lang.modula2 - 92.7.25 v0.0

I am posting this for a reader without Usenet posting access.  I have added
some infor since receiving it, and hope others will send in their additions and
comments.

randy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -   c u t   h e r e   - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is my first stab at a FAQ for comp.lang.modula2.  I do not have Usenet
posting access, so it has been very kindly posted for me by Randy Bush.  All
errors are solely my own, and I apologize for them in advance.  I know there
is plenty of room for improvement, so any additions to, corrections of, or

(*  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  *)

CONTENTS

1)  What is Comp.lang.modula2?
2)  What is Modula-2?
3)  What are Oberon and Oberon-2?
4)  What about Modula-3, Object Oberon, and Seneca?
5)  Where can I find implementations of Modula-2?
6)  Where can I find implementations of Oberon(-2)?

(*  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  *)

(1)  What is Comp.lang.modula2?

Comp.lang.modula2 is a forum for the discussion of the Modula-2 programming
language and related topics.  Prominent "related topics" have been the Oberon
languages.  The newsgroup is gated to the FidoNet echo conference MODULA-2.

(2)  What is Modula-2?

Modula-2 is a programming language designed by Niklaus Wirth of Pascal fame.
Among other things, it features strong typing, a rich variety of data types,
a powerful set of control statements, procedure types, opaque types, modules,
and coroutines.

There is no standard for the Modula-2 language or library beyond N Wirth's
classic text, "Programming in Modula-2".  There is an ISO committee,
ISO/JTC1/SC22/WG13, which has circulated a number of drafts which have varied
between editions.

(3)  What are Oberon and Oberon-2?

The Oberon language was a part of Wirth's Oberon operating system.  Oberon is
the successor to Modula-2 by Niklaus Wirth (now at ETH, Zuerich).  In brief,
it removes variant records, opaque types, enumerations, subranges, the
CARDINAL type, local modules, automatic qualifications, general indexing, the
FOR and WITH statements, and even the notion of a program or main module.
Oberon adds type extension (inheritance) and, in its purest form, automatic
garbage collection.

Oberon-2 is Oberon with a small set of extensions by H.  Moessenboeck, also
of ETH, Zuerich.  These extensions are type-bound procedures (methods),
read-only export, open array variables, a WITH statement with variants, and
the reintroduction of the FOR loop.

More detailed information can be found in _Software: Practice and Experience_
(July 1988, September 1989) and by anonymous ftp at
neptune.inf.ethz.ch:/Oberon/Docu.

(4)  What about Modula-3, Object Oberon, and Seneca?

Modula-3 is an interesting language designed at DEC Software Research Center
also as a successor to Modula-2.  Unless there is a specific question about
how it relates to Modula-2 or Oberon, however, posts about Modula-3 would be
better directed to Comp.lang.modula3.

Object Oberon is an Oberon variant designed by H.  Moessenboeck and J. Templ
of ETH, Zuerich.  It eventually evolved into Oberon-2.

Seneca is an Oberon variant focusing on numerical applications and is by R.
Griesemer of ETh, Zuerich. It is still under development.

(5)  Where can I find implementations of Modula-2?

While there have been several implementations of Modula-2, they are not as
numerous nor as easy to find as, for example, C.  Some implementations are
listed below.  These are merely some commonly used implementations, and this
should not be taken as a recommendation of any of the following products.

For MS-DOS:
     Fitted Software Tools
     P.O.Box 867403
     Plano, TX 75086
     USA
     ftp at ftp.psg.com:pub/mocula-2/pc

     Clarion Topspeed Modula-2
     Clarion Software
     150 East Sample Road
     Pompano Beach, FL  33064
     USA

     Multiscope Modula-2
     Multiscope, Inc.
     1235 Pear Ave.
     Mountain View, CA  94043
     USA
     (415) 968-4892

     Stony Brook Software

(6)  Where can I find implementations of Oberon(-2)?

To repeat, this should not be taken as a recommendation of any of the
following products, but. . .

ETH, Zuerich has released free implementations of the Oberon system.  These
include Oberon compilers.  They are available by anonymous ftp at
neptune.inf.ethz.ch:/Oberon/* or gatekeeper.dec.com:/pub/plan/oberon/*.

Oberon-M is an independantly produced Oberon compiler for MS-DOS systems that
can also be found at neptune and gatekeeper.

There is also a Modula-2/Oberon-2 to C translator available through Real Time
Associates Ltd.
    Canning House
    59 Canning Road
    Croydon
    Surrey
    CRO 6QF
    UK

-30-

--

Thu, 12 Jan 1995 12:22:28 GMT

1. FAQ: comp.lang.modula2, draft - 92.9.11 v0.4

2. FAQ: comp.lang.modula2, draft - 92.9.11 v0.4

3. FAQ: comp.lang.modula2 - v1.0 93.1.1

4. RESULT: comp.lang.dataflex fails 25:20

5. RESULT: comp.lang.plb fails 69:25

6. comp.lang.tcl Frequently Asked Questions (October 25, 1996) (1/5)

7. comp.lang.tcl Frequently Asked Questions (October 25, 1996) (4/5)

8. comp.lang.tcl Frequently Asked Questions (October 25, 1996) (3/5)

9. comp.lang.tcl Frequently Asked Questions (November 25, 1996) (1/5)

10. net.lang.mod2 is being renamed comp.lang.modula2

11. comp.lang.forth FAQ-lite: A brief synopsis of the FAQ