something new for M2
Author Message
 something new for M2

Quote:
> Subject: Re: Getting a CARDINAL into a zero-padded ARRAY OF CHAR
> Date: 18 Feb 1995 05:43:36 GMT

> BTW, I felt compelled to respond to this message because it was one of
> the first postings about the language that I've seen in weeks.  Not to
> denigrate the interesting discussion of educational standards.

> Is it time to give up on Modula-2?  I've started lurking on comp.lang.c++
> which seems to generate 100 msg a day or more.   It sort of reminds me of
> the last days of UCSD Pascal.

> When is the last time you learned something about Modula-2 here?  Or
> anywhere?  Anyone care to try to talk me out of giving up on Modula-2 and
> learning C++?  (No arguments based on the intrinsic worth (not a pun) or
> M2's superior readability or design, please.  All I want to hear is a
> convincing argument that Modula-2 is not a dead language; that serious
> tools will be available for developing programmes for the major platforms
> for the rest of the decade (Win95, OS/2, workstations).

> Regards,

I have similar feelings but
the point is I work in M2 for several years, there is not really much
to learn about the language left I guess, especially as I am not delfing
into really deep. Maybe there would be more to say about compiler specifics
but this is something I gain from TS not selling a new compiler every
other day. So I came to read more about design.
e.g. "OO" : It needed long for me to see a point in C++ and the like
  cause much of the things people said you gain is already there in M2
  I reuse my libraries as everyone does this, also assembler libs are
  reused, so where is this point. If you are lucky you get namespaces
  in C++ before Windows9? . I have it since JPI started to sell.
I tried the "new" pattern stuff ( Design Patterns, ADdWes95 )
but it is mainly new names for old methods, which is in fact interesting
because this might be new viewpoints.

I am also bit sorry about the silence in this group, but what would be
needed might be some more libs and the last effort ( this KMP stuff )
made a grinding halt.

As long as possible I will stay and I will try not to switch to C or C++
"because" everyone uses this.

--
--------------------------------
- ASM-ISN Dept. SMC            -

--------------------------------

Sun, 10 Aug 1997 17:29:25 GMT
 something new for M2

Quote:

>As long as possible I will stay and I will try not to switch to C or C++
>"because" everyone uses this.

My views exactly. After having programmed 9 years in Modula-2
(coming from fortran) one has to think very little before coding.
A note on Fortran. I had to go back and do a Fortran program after
having programmed i Modula-2 for some time. My way of programming
in Fortan had improved enormously!

By the way, in case someone is curious, I am still developing for
Windows 3.1 with TopSpeed M2 v3.10. Nothing new has come up in
addition to what I wrote in the first postings. After programming
for Windows a while you rarely need to think about that examples
and call syntax in the SDK are written in C, it becomes transparent.
I repeat, the main problem is not Modula-2 the main problem is Windows.

It seems that this modula news-group has lived up some after all!

Bye

--------------------------------
Bengt-Inge Dalenback, CATT
also at:
Department of Applied Acoustics
Chalmers University of Technology
Gothenburg, SWEDEN

fax : +46 31 145154

Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:47:50 GMT
 something new for M2

Quote:

>Subject: Re: something new for M2
>Date: 27 Feb 1995 08:47:50 GMT

>>As long as possible I will stay and I will try not to switch to C or C++
>>"because" everyone uses this.
>My views exactly. After having programmed 9 years in Modula-2
>(coming from Fortran) one has to think very little before coding.
>A note on Fortran. I had to go back and do a Fortran program after
>having programmed i Modula-2 for some time. My way of programming
>in Fortan had improved enormously!
>By the way, in case someone is curious, I am still developing for
>Windows 3.1 with TopSpeed M2 v3.10. Nothing new has come up in
>addition to what I wrote in the first postings. After programming
>for Windows a while you rarely need to think about that examples
>and call syntax in the SDK are written in C, it becomes transparent.
>I repeat, the main problem is not Modula-2 the main problem is Windows.
>It seems that this modula news-group has lived up some after all!
>Bye
>--------------------------------
>Bengt-Inge Dalenback, CATT
>also at:
>Department of Applied Acoustics
>Chalmers University of Technology
>Gothenburg, SWEDEN

>fax : +46 31 145154

I am interested in programming for windows using Topspeed M2.  My biggest
obstacle is the lack of a de{*filter*}.  I have tried WID but have been unable to
make it work successfully.  Another problem I have is the lack of a resource
editor.

What have you been using?  What problems have you encountered?  What
solutions?   I think many of us here would be very interested in you
experience and observations.

Thanks,

Chuck Eckenroed

Despite all of our accomplishments,
Man owes his existence to a 6-inch layer of top soil
and the fact that it rains

  - The Arizona Republic, Nov 24,1982

.

Sun, 17 Aug 1997 18:18:37 GMT
 something new for M2

Quote:
> I am interested in programming for windows using Topspeed M2.  My biggest
> obstacle is the lack of a de{*filter*}.  I have tried WID but have been unable to
> make it work successfully.  Another problem I have is the lack of a resource
> editor.

 I do not have WID but I have CW ( clarion for Windows ).
 I tried only shortly if CW would be so nice to load TSM2.DLL
but had no hope as the Windows DLL I think is slightly different
to TS.  TS dlls should be more like OS/2 s DLL as the extender compilers
all wear a OS/2 diskette label. PLEASE correct if I am wrong.
Under DOS CLARION 3 this worked nearly flawless, if you specify
the M2 source clarion looks for tsm2.dll and starts it if found.
 The de{*filter*} did not work until I made the silly try loading the
TS.RED I used to compile instead of a tinklered CW.RED, from then
on I had a windows de{*filter*} for TS-M2.
 As I donot program much for windows , who needs a gui to click
if he has 1000 files to patch/scan.. , I did nothing with resource
editing or so, but I think one could probably use WinWords DialogEditor
?? ( misuse ).

Quote:
> What have you been using?  What problems have you encountered?  What
> solutions?   I think many of us here would be very interested in you
> experience and observations.

--------------------------------
- ASM-ISN Dept. SMC            -
- engelbert gruber             -

--------------------------------

Tue, 19 Aug 1997 16:19:19 GMT

1. M2 and MIPS and M2 to C Translators

2. M2, Oberon, and embedded systems (was Re: m2 / Oberon appendix to 3117)

3. M2, Oberon, and embedded systems (was m2 / Oberon appendix to 3117)

4. C to M2 (M2 review ?)

5. Smalltalk in the UK -- something new?

6. Something new for the ugly page

7. Something new to think about

8. Is BD is working on something new?

9. Something new undefined method

10. multiple files upload (maybe something new)

11. anyone got something to convert from old to new style Tkinter

12. Beware: New Virus or something