Re^2: VAX/VMS Modula-2 DEF and IMP mod c
Author Message
 Re^2: VAX/VMS Modula-2 DEF and IMP mod c

under the subject 'Re: VAX/VMS Modula-2 DEF and IMP mod com':

> It depends of the compiler you are using.
> We use the ModulaWare-Compiler (Erlangen-Germany) and it is a little bit more
> easy:
> The Modul name may be as long as you want (so far as possible with VMS),
> let say "qwertyuiopasdfghjkl". The compiler tries to find on the home
> directory a file named

>         QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKL.DEF

> if there is none it tries with only 9 characters

>         QWERTYUIO.DEF

> if there is none it tries with only 6 characters

>         QWERTY.DEF

> This will be repeated on the directories which are named under the logicals
> names: MOD$LIBRARY, MOD$LIBRARY_1, ... till MOD$LIBRARY_9 and MOD$SYSTEM.

> guy

This is almost correct!
When looking-up symbol files, the sequence below (all steps from 1...6)
is executed, first with full module name taken as filename.
If not found and if the name is longer than 9 chars, the sequence
is executed with the filename shortened to 9 chars.
If not found and if the name is longer than 6 chars, the sequence
is executed with the filename shortened to 6 chars

1. At first the default directory is *looked-up*.

2. If not found and if the symbol MOD$LIB_LIST is defined, this symbol
  list is *searched* using the VMS.SYS$SEARCH service.
  (*i.e. may be a directory list definition such as
         $DEFINE MOD$LIB_LIST [a_dir],[b_dir],...
   *)
3. If not found and if the symbol MOD$LIBRARY is defined in either
  of the logical name tables LNM$PROCESS, LNM$JOB, LNM$GROUP, LNM$SYSTEM,
  the file is *looked-up* there.

4. If not found and if the symbol MOD$LIBRARY_x is defined in either
  of the logical name tables LNM$PROCESS, LNM$JOB, LNM$GROUP, LNM$SYSTEM,
  the file is *looked-up* there - in sequence with x varying from 1 to 9.

5. If not found, MOD$SYSTEM is *looked-up*.

6. if not found, LIDAS$SYSTEM is *looked-up*.

Instead of MOD$LIBRARY[_x] which is provided for compatability reasons
with other VAX/VMS Modula-2 compilers, it is recommended to use
MOD$LIB_LIST for user-defined libraries only.

Since many sites now use VAX/VMS as file server (DEC PCSA/PCFS/PathWorks)
for PeeCee/DOS where file names are limited to max. eight characters, we
are forced to further extend the file lookup-strategy. This allows
to edit and compile portable Modula-2 library files for VAX/VMS and for PeeCee
on the same directory.
Under provision that an implementation of the ISO Modula-2 Standard Library is
available, this would avoid the need for  file renamings and code duplication,
which in turn solves many maintenance problems.

Gunter Dotzel (ModulaWare GmbH)

Fri, 09 Sep 1994 15:00:05 GMT

1. VAX/VMS Modula-2 DEF and IMP mod problem was solved

2. VAX/VMS Modula-2 DEF and IMP mod compilation

3. VAX/VMS Modula-2 Needed

4. Logitech Modula-2 for VAX/VMS

5. Modula-2 for VAX/VMS

6. Modula-2 compiler wanted for VAX/VMS

7. VAX/VMS Modula-2 Libraries you can have...

8. Modula-2 compiler wanted for VAX/VMS

9. VAX/VMS Modula-2 Question

10. Modula-2 for VAX/VMS?

11. VAX/VMS or Alpha VMS Port

12. VAX-11 Modula-2 (was DECUS Modula-2)