Modula 2 CPU ?
Author Message
 Modula 2 CPU ?

Please translate in English some where.

Es gibt doch die Transmeta CPU, die 586 Code und andere CPU emulieren
kann.
Es gab einmal die Modula 2 Maschine Lilith von der ETH Zrich, die
eine
extra dafr entwickelte CPU hatte, die M Code verarbeitete.
Nun k?nnte man doch  den
 M Code Befehlssatz auf die Transmets Cpu bertragen
 und einen Nachbau der Lilith Computermaschine machen
Der komerzielle Erfolg ist jedoch fraglich.
Frage?  Wer wei? wer die Rechte an dem Lilith Computer hat?
Wer wei? wer die Rechte an dem Modula 2 und Lilith Betriebssystem MEDOS
hat?

Vielen Dank fr ihre Aufmerksamkeit.
Ludwig Braun

Thu, 04 Sep 2003 03:04:48 GMT
 Modula 2 CPU ?

Quote:

>Frage?  Wer wei? wer die Rechte an dem Lilith Computer hat?
>Wer wei? wer die Rechte an dem Modula 2 und Lilith Betriebssystem MEDOS
>hat?

ETHZ Zurich, Institut fuer Computersysteme, http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/

Andreas.

--
Andreas Borchert, Universitaet Ulm, SAI, Helmholtzstr. 18, 89069 Ulm,  Germany

WWW:    http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/sai/borchert/
PGP:    http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/sai/borchert/pgp.html

Thu, 04 Sep 2003 03:09:35 GMT
 Modula 2 CPU ?

Quote:

> Please translate in English some where.

> Es gibt doch die Transmeta CPU, die 586 Code und andere CPU emulieren
> kann.
> Es gab einmal die Modula 2 Maschine Lilith von der ETH Zrich, die
> eine
> extra dafr entwickelte CPU hatte, die M Code verarbeitete.
> Nun k?nnte man doch  den
>  M Code Befehlssatz auf die Transmets Cpu bertragen
>  und einen Nachbau der Lilith Computermaschine machen
> Der komerzielle Erfolg ist jedoch fraglich.
> Frage?  Wer wei? wer die Rechte an dem Lilith Computer hat?
> Wer wei? wer die Rechte an dem Modula 2 und Lilith Betriebssystem MEDOS
> hat?

> Vielen Dank fr ihre Aufmerksamkeit.
> Ludwig Braun

Here's a rough translation:

The Transmeta CPU can emulate the code of the 586 and other CPUs. There was once
a Modula-2 machine, Lilith made at the ETH in Zrich, that had a CPU that had
been developed to execute M code. The M code instruction set could now be
implemented on the Transmeta CPU and, thus, a copy of the Lilith computer could
be built. It is questionable whether it would be a commercial success, though.

Question: Who knows who has the rights to the Lilith computer? Who knows who has
the rights to Modula-2 and the Lilith operating system, MEDOS?

Thank you for your time.

--
        -- Aron

NB: To reply by e-mail, remove "spam-block." from my address.
- - - - - - - - - - -
I'd be agnostic if I cared that much.

Thu, 04 Sep 2003 07:53:30 GMT
 Modula 2 CPU ?

Quote:

>Question: Who knows who has the rights to the Lilith computer? Who knows who has
>the rights to Modula-2 and the Lilith operating system, MEDOS?

I would presume either N. Wirth or ETH (Switzerland) has the right to Modula-2? Does
anyone know? Or did Wirth release it to the world for the prosperity of mankind?

Sincerely,
ANW

Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:55:24 GMT
 Modula 2 CPU ?

Quote:

[...]

more info about lilith at: http://modulaware.com/mdlt52.htm

and a russian clone of it at: http://kronos.ws2000.com/

--

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:58:08 GMT
 Modula 2 CPU ?

Quote:

> [...]

> > Question: Who knows who has the rights to the Lilith computer? Who knows who has

> more info about lilith at: http://modulaware.com/mdlt52.htm

> and a russian clone of it at: http://kronos.ws2000.com/

 The downloads at kronos appear to not work.
Does anyone know a workng URL ?

 I am doing research into Script / Pcode languages, that can run on
embedded cores. Language M-code engine should be efficent, and ROMable,
and the Program Stream to run from various memory choices.
 Code efficency is important.
ARM is one core, but a custom FPGA core is also conceivable.

 'Modern' alternatives like Java, and .NET MSIL need (increasing)
amounts
of resource, and are getting fatter faster than embedded chips are
getting
bigger :-)

 Can anyone who was close to this project comment on a MCode -> MSIL
bridge,
or MCode -> Java conversions ?

 -jg

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:22:49 GMT
 Modula 2 CPU ?

Quote:

> > [...]

> > > Question: Who knows who has the rights to the Lilith computer? Who knows
> > > who has

> > more info about lilith at: http://modulaware.com/mdlt52.htm

> > and a russian clone of it at: http://kronos.ws2000.com/

>  The downloads at kronos appear to not work.
> Does anyone know a workng URL ?

It looks like the download files have been moved to a subdirectory.
The download files are in the directory at URL
<http://kronos.ws2000.com/download/obsolete>.

Gale Paeper

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:24:22 GMT

1. Modula-2 compilers for 80386 cpus

2. CPU Design HOWTO v2.0 - To design, test and manufacture CPUs

3. Clockless CPUs: a.k.a. Asyncronous CPUs

4. SP on a 64-bit CPU and DP on a 32-bit CPU

5. translation tools C to Modula-2 and Modula-2 to C

6. Modula-2 for cp/m-80 (was: turbo Modula-2)

7. Report on defect in M2 vs C (Was Modula-2, Modula-3, C o

8. Interfacing C/C++ to Modula-3/Oberon Re (2): Use of Modula-3

9. MODULA-2 (OR MODULA-3) GRAMMAR

10. Modula-2 and Modula-3

11. Not JPI, Was: Modula-2 and Modula-3

12. Modula-2, Modula-3, C or C++