Help for FST M2 compiler.
Author Message
 Help for FST M2 compiler.

to: comp.lang.modula2

      I am interested  to find sources of libraries for the now freeware
modula-2  compiler from
  Fitted Software Tools, version 3.5 or 4.0.

  The implementor of this library and compiler, discontinued support. I
cannot find help fom this guy.
  Due to the way the compiler is built, it's impossible to modify  and
correct bugs in library without sources.
  Thanks for any help.
                                                 Piero

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help for FST M2 compiler.
FST is one of the finest shareware compilers still available today, it's a
shame that the author lost interest in the project.  I have responded
separately via email as well.

Robert L. Thornbury
Thornbury Software
http://thornburysoftware.com
http://members.xoom.com/Thornbury/index.html
http://thrnsoft.hypermart.net/
member of the International Web Masters Association, http://iwanet.org

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help for FST M2 compiler.

Quote:

> FST is one of the finest shareware compilers still available today, it's a
> shame that the author lost interest in the project.  I have responded
> separately via email as well.

Shame is that many people have been using this great product without
paying. 40 bucks is not that much, but it seems that for many
people it is/was. Some time ago there was a public discussion
regarding FST; it was stated that FST was discontinued because
income from sales was close to nil. M2 community somwhow shot
itself in the foot...

A.L.

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help for FST M2 compiler.
I agree, that's the reason I registered my version of FST early on.  It was
well worth the price to me.

One of the reasons my company has dropped the shareware marketing strategy
is just because of this.  I can't afford to spend months developing a
project, market it out via shareware only to have less that 5% of the people
using it actually pay for it.

Robert L. Thornbury
Thornbury Software

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help for FST M2 compiler.

Quote:

> I agree, that's the reason I registered my version of FST early on.  It was
> well worth the price to me.

I have never used it myself, but understood it to be pretty good. I was a JPI
fan.

The shame is that compilers are one of the worst things to get paid for
developing as shareware since they tend mainly to be used by hobby software
authors.

I know a perfectly successful shareware author whose business is booming but his
success is due to a very careful choice of products. Things which are useful to
office workers or hobbies like gardening or astronomy seem to do much better.

Some have made the transition from shareware to fully marketted software as
their business grew. I guess some things sell OK as shareware and others don't.

Quote:
> One of the reasons my company has dropped the shareware marketing strategy
> is just because of this.  I can't afford to spend months developing a
> project, market it out via shareware only to have less that 5% of the people
> using it actually pay for it.

It depends how much it costs to advertise and distribute your product. The
economics are more difficult to work out than you might think  5% of  a global
market could be a lot better deal than 90% of a small local one. Shareware with
complete software functionality but limited databases seem to get particularly
good take up rates.

There's a pretty good book on how to do shareware (title eludes me for the
moment).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help for FST M2 compiler.
you make a couple of good points:  The second one first, 5% of a global
market would be a decent return on the time/money investment.  Part of our
lack of success in the shareware marketing was due to our marketing the
shareware before the boom in the internet.  I think internet exposure is one
of the keys to marketing success, but not the only one.  Our line of
products at the time were geared towards programmers, ie. programmer
utilities such as a  text file-to-source code translator.  At the time our
products came out Microsoft, Borland and other companies came out with
top-of-the-line products with wide usage and name recognition.  The name
recognition is also a big, big key.  People will often buy an inferior
product based on name recognition.  Name recognition takes time and
marketing expertise, which I'll be the 1st to admit I'm not a marketing
expert, far from it.

The product itself is the next point.  Products which are useful to the
general public, office workers, etc. will do better via the shareware
concept.  Programming utilities are targeted for a very narrow vertical
market and profits are just not there like they would be for other products.
Unfortunately for us, we're still working on a couple of projects, one
programmer oriented, the other designed to make webpages easier to maintain.
Neither one is near ready for release.

I wish I was a better game maker to be honest, a good game seems to take
off.

Robert L. Thornbury
Thornbury Software

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help for FST M2 compiler.

Quote:

> > FST is one of the finest shareware compilers still available today, it's a
> > shame that the author lost interest in the project.  I have responded
> > separately via email as well.

> Shame is that many people have been using this great product without
> paying. 40 bucks is not that much, but it seems that for many
> people it is/was. Some time ago there was a public discussion
> regarding FST; it was stated that FST was discontinued because
> income from sales was close to nil. M2 community somwhow shot
> itself in the foot...

Good point. It applies to the shareware text as well. Universities
using it collect royalties through the bookstore, but the tens of
thousands of hits on each the servers carrying it rarely result in a
shareware fee. That's OK; it wasn't written to make a lot of money, but
in another year or so, there won't be enough to hire a summer student
for updating, and the project will end.

Rick

--
Rick Sutcliffe
Trinity Western University (Not speaking officially)

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help for FST M2 compiler.

Quote:

> > > FST is one of the finest shareware compilers still available today, it's a
> > > shame that the author lost interest in the project.  I have responded
> > > separately via email as well.

> > Shame is that many people have been using this great product without
> > paying. 40 bucks is not that much, but it seems that for many
> > people it is/was. Some time ago there was a public discussion
> > regarding FST; it was stated that FST was discontinued because
> > income from sales was close to nil. M2 community somwhow shot
> > itself in the foot..
> Good point. It applies to the shareware text as well. Universities
> using it collect royalties through the bookstore, but the tens of
> thousands of hits on each the servers carrying it rarely result in a
> shareware fee. That's OK; it wasn't written to make a lot of money, but
> in another year or so, there won't be enough to hire a summer student
> for updating, and the project will end.

Also sad to hear this. Is there any way you can provide something extra and
attractive benefit for those that register the main text ?  It might just help
sustain it.

I have hopes that one day Ecash will make small instant fees for access to data a
practical proposition, but for the moment it is an all or nothing game and so you
have to try and persuade a larger fraction of people to register.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help for FST M2 compiler.

Quote:

> Also sad to hear this. Is there any way you can provide something extra and
> attractive benefit for those that register the main text ?  It might just help
> sustain it.

Perhaps. This summer I will do another chapter and an answer key. I
think the answer key will be only for registrees.

Quote:

> I have hopes that one day Ecash will make small instant fees for access to
> data a
> practical proposition, but for the moment it is an all or nothing game and so
> you
> have to try and persuade a larger fraction of people to register.

Someday it will, but that's the subject of another book.

Rick

--
Rick Sutcliffe
Trinity Western University (Not speaking officially)

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. need help setting up FST 3.1 modula2 compiler

2. Determine disk-drive space (FST M2)...

3. FST M2: Big Heap

4. FST M2 screen poking...

5. The FST M2 latest version

6. Fst M2