Help: Topspeed 3.1 more project settings
Author Message
 Help: Topspeed 3.1 more project settings

Is it possible to set the Topspeed 3.1 compiler to enable me to use memory
ABOVE the allocated 640K of DOS memory? In other words, would it be possible
for me to build up a linked list of data of which the total size exceeds
640K?

Cheers
Charl Gerber
--
South African Soccer Web Page : http://www.*-*-*.com/
            "I follow where my mind goes" - Psychedelic Furs

Sun, 26 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Topspeed 3.1 more project settings

Quote:
> Is it possible to set the Topspeed 3.1 compiler to enable me to use
> memory
> ABOVE the allocated 640K of DOS memory? In other words, would it be
> possible
> for me to build up a linked list of data of which the total size
> exceeds
> 640K?

Expanded memory (LIM/EMS)?

Mark Morgan Lloyd

[Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]

** Internet feed may be unreliable- please cc anything important by email
**

Sun, 26 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Topspeed 3.1 more project settings

Quote:

>Is it possible to set the Topspeed 3.1 compiler to enable me to use memory
>ABOVE the allocated 640K of DOS memory? In other words, would it be possible
>for me to build up a linked list of data of which the total size exceeds
>640K?

No, not directly.  or maybe 64k more, by allocating some memory in the
pageframe .

With some tricks :yes.  What do you prefer, Extended  XMS or expanded
EMS?

The basic idea is allocate blocks,  nd use them for storage., you can see
theindices (used as handles) to the blocks as  pointers.

You might want to check out a simtel server near yu(e.g.garbo.uwasa.fi),
check out the turboPascal directories and search for EMSARRAY.ZIP

If you can't find it, I''ll upload/attach it to you.

Mon, 27 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Topspeed 3.1 more project settings

Quote:

> Is it possible to set the Topspeed 3.1 compiler to enable me to use
> memory
> ABOVE the allocated 640K of DOS memory? In other words, would it be
> possible
> for me to build up a linked list of data of which the total size
> exceeds
> 640K?

The answer is 'Yes' if you use the extended memory model (which was
supplied as a separate product since 1994)
The answer is 'Probably' if you're able to write an interface to a 3rd
party dos extender and do a *lot* of assembler work on the core*.a files

Otherwise, i'm afraid the answer is 'No'.

Best regards

Ruud

Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Topspeed 3.1 more project settings

Quote:

> > Is it possible to set the Topspeed 3.1 compiler to enable me to use
> > memory
> > ABOVE the allocated 640K of DOS memory? In other words, would it be
> > possible
> > for me to build up a linked list of data of which the total size
> > exceeds
> > 640K?

> The answer is 'Yes' if you use the extended memory model (which was
> supplied as a separate product since 1994)
> The answer is 'Probably' if you're able to write an interface to a 3rd
> party dos extender and do a *lot* of assembler work on the core*.a files

> Otherwise, i'm afraid the answer is 'No'.

It is also yes if you are prepared to make it an OS/2 executable
and run only under OS/2 which then gives proper protected mode.

Regards,
--

Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/

Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. TopSpeed - ODBC 3.1???? HELP HELP HELP

2. need help setting up FST 3.1 modula2 compiler

3. TopSpeed ODBC driver 3.1 - Transactions

4. TopSpeed C 3.1

5. Does anyone know Modula 2 Topspeed Ver 3.1 DOS

6. TopSpeed 3.1 DMA DSP.

7. Wanted: TopSpeed (1.17 or 3.1) library for NetWare 3.12 system calls

8. BMP Loaders for TopSpeed v 3.1

9. TopSpeed 3.1 & OS/2

10. Help needed with Topspeed Ver 3.10 Dos, Modula 2

11. Help, setting up developers studio project for asm files

12. Windows 3.1 VxD with TASM 3.1 ?