Niklaus Wirth: The Human
Author Message
 Niklaus Wirth: The Human

Is Niklaus Wirth still alive? Perhaps{*filter*} out, drinking Pepsi (yeah,right!)
in Silicon Valley?
 I THRIVE ON CHAOS<*> Chocolate, pizza and some drinks are all one really needs
 Bryan D Levenson d:) to stay healthy. That and some good science.

Tue, 29 Aug 1995 05:02:38 GMT
 Niklaus Wirth: The Human

Quote:
> Is Niklaus Wirth still alive? Perhaps{*filter*} out, drinking Pepsi (yeah,
> right!) in Silicon Valley?

Well, he's apparently still alive, as he is giving a talk about the
development/future of programming languages, in New Zealand in a couple
of months.....

Thu, 31 Aug 1995 09:35:17 GMT
 Niklaus Wirth: The Human

Quote:
Bullock) writes:

cs.ohio-state.edu (Bryan D Levenson) writes:

Quote:
>> Is Niklaus Wirth still alive? Perhaps{*filter*} out, drinking Pepsi (yeah,
>> right!) in Silicon Valley?

>Well, he's apparently still alive, as he is giving a talk about the
>development/future of programming languages, in New Zealand in a couple
>of months.....

Thanks to all of you who informed me of the status of Mr. Wirth. I have
received a letter from him via email; he's in Zurich, Switzerland and assures
me that he is doing quite well.
 I THRIVE ON CHAOS<*> Chocolate, pizza and some drinks are all one really needs
 Bryan D Levenson d:) to stay healthy. That and some good science.

Fri, 01 Sep 1995 03:52:16 GMT
 Niklaus Wirth: The Human

Quote:

>cs.ohio-state.edu (Bryan D Levenson) writes:
>>> Is Niklaus Wirth still alive? Perhaps{*filter*} out, drinking Pepsi (yeah,
>>> right!) in Silicon Valley?

>Thanks to all of you who informed me of the status of Mr. Wirth. I have
>received a letter from him via email; he's in Zurich, Switzerland and assures
>me that he is doing quite well.

  But did he say whether he prefers Pepsi over Coke?

--
  "When I began the campaign, the projected deficit was $250 billion.
Now, it's up to $400 billion."           Bill Clinton, July 6 1992

Sat, 02 Sep 1995 00:56:38 GMT
 Niklaus Wirth: The Human
The Oberon compiler (as described in Project Oberon) converts
string constants of length 1 to CHAR constants.  It seems like
the following will raise an error:

  PROCEDURE P( s: ARRAY OF CHAR ); ... END P;

  P("!");  (* error ?! *)

This conversion in the Lexer seems like a mistake especially since
'T' seems to no longer be array compatible with 'ARRAY OF T' (according to
the concise language definition--18pp).  Am I mistaken?  I don't have
an Oberon[-2] compiler to test this on.  Is the language definition
at odds (on this issue) with recent implemenations?

What exactly is array compatible?

I'd appreciate a clarification.

Thanks.

--Larry

Sat, 02 Sep 1995 03:01:53 GMT
 Niklaus Wirth: The Human
acs.ohio-state.edu (Bryan D Levenson) writes:
Quote:

>>Thanks to all of you who informed me of the status of Mr. Wirth. I have
>>received a letter from him via email; he's in Zurich, Switzerland and assures
>>me that he is doing quite well.

>  But did he say whether he prefers Pepsi over Coke?

Not yet.
 I THRIVE ON CHAOS<*> Chocolate, pizza and some drinks are all one really needs
 Bryan D Levenson d:) to stay healthy. That and some good science.

Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:45:38 GMT
 Niklaus Wirth: The Human

Quote:

>   >cs.ohio-state.edu (Bryan D Levenson) writes:
>   >>> Is Niklaus Wirth still alive? Perhaps{*filter*} out, drinking Pepsi (yeah,
>   >>> right!) in Silicon Valley?

>   >Thanks to all of you who informed me of the status of Mr. Wirth. I have
>   >received a letter from him via email; he's in Zurich, Switzerland and assures
>   >me that he is doing quite well.

>     But did he say whether he prefers Pepsi over Coke?

Good one, Man!

pete  :-)

Sat, 02 Sep 1995 06:41:39 GMT
 Niklaus Wirth: The Human

:

Quote:
>The Oberon compiler (as described in Project Oberon) converts
>string constants of length 1 to CHAR constants.  It seems like
>the following will raise an error:

>  PROCEDURE P( s: ARRAY OF CHAR ); ... END P;

>  P("!");  (* error ?! *)

The compiler described in Porject Oberon is the original Ceres compiler. In
earlier incarnations of the language passing a character constant to an array
of char was illegal.

The present language definition (from Moessenboeck himself) says that this is
legal, and thus is not an error.
--

"Hakka Hakka. Jul Jul." - Proto cave Stimpy's frolic in the primorial ooze.

Sun, 03 Sep 1995 01:17:34 GMT
 Niklaus Wirth: The Human

writes:
cs.ohio-state.edu (Bryan D Levenson) writes:

Quote:

>>>  But did he say whether he prefers Pepsi over Coke?
>>Not yet.

>  Aw, c'mon.  Given the choice between Coke and PepC, which do
>  *you* think Wirth would prefer?

Just what are you try to say here?
 I THRIVE ON CHAOS<*> Chocolate, pizza and some drinks are all one really needs
 Bryan D Levenson d:) to stay healthy. That and some good science.

Mon, 04 Sep 1995 05:22:41 GMT
 Niklaus Wirth: The Human

Quote:
EDU () writes:

:

>>  Aw, c'mon.  Given the choice between Coke and PepC, which do
>>  *you* think Wirth would prefer?

>I don't know what his preference would be, but I can specify the form of
>his preference rule:
>   case SoftDrink of
>     Pepsi: ;
>     Coke: ;
>     7Up: ;
>   end;

Here's the improvement:

case SoftDrink of
     Pepsi: ;
     Coke: ;
     7Up: ;
     MountainDew:
else
     water:
end;
 I THRIVE ON CHAOS<*> Chocolate, pizza and some drinks are all one really needs
 Bryan D Levenson d:) to stay healthy. That and some good science.

Mon, 04 Sep 1995 09:02:22 GMT

1. Niklaus Wirth: The Human

2. New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth

3. Interview with Niklaus Wirth

4. 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth

5. Who are the 2 Niklaus Wirth's

6. Niklaus Wirth's EULER

7. New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth

8. Niklaus Wirth

9. Niklaus Wirth

10. Niklaus Wirth's compiler book (was Re: Compiler.)

11. Availability of "Project Oberon" by Niklaus Wirth

12. New ModulaTor issue: A news:digital contrarian retires (Prof. Niklaus Wirth)