BlooP and FlooP in The Retrocomputing Museum, quine in BlooP
Author Message
 BlooP and FlooP in The Retrocomputing Museum, quine in BlooP

 ( coming soon:  a real working pangram program in C )

 someone just told me that The Retrocomputing Museum includes
 BlooP and FlooP implementations.

        [...]
bloop

   The BlooP and FlooP languages from Chapter XIII of
   Goedel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas
   R. Hofstadter. BlooP mechanizes primitive-recursive
   functions, FlooP mechanizes general-recursive
   ones. Thoroughly primitive otherwise. Implemented as a Perl
   interpreter which generates Perl and promptly interprets it
   (how Hofstadterian!), by John Cowan .

Language: BlooP

Author: Douglas R. Hofstadter
Note: Hofstadter invented this language for his book, Godel,
        Escher Bach.  There is a compiler available, but I
        don't know whether it supports the following program.
        I include it for completeness--besides, it is a very
        readable version.

DEFINE PROCEDURE "ENIUQ" [TEMPLATE]: PRINT [TEMPLATE, LEFT-BRACKET,
QUOTE-MARK, TEMPLATE, QUOTE-MARK, RIGHT-BRACKET, PERIOD].

ENIUQ

--
;;; TANAKA Tomoyuki
;;; http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; "GEB" FAQ

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT
 BlooP and FlooP in The Retrocomputing Museum, quine in BlooP

Quote:

>  someone just told me that The Retrocomputing Museum includes
>  BlooP and FlooP implementations.

Heh, I wrote versions of those back in the early '80s. It happened that
GEB came out about the time I took my compilers class. I did get them to
run pretty much all the programs in the book. The language spec is woefully
incomplete. PS:

Quote:
> DEFINE PROCEDURE "ENIUQ" [TEMPLATE]: PRINT [TEMPLATE, LEFT-BRACKET,
> QUOTE-MARK, TEMPLATE, QUOTE-MARK, RIGHT-BRACKET, PERIOD].

> ENIUQ
> ['DEFINE PROCEDURE "ENIUQ" [TEMPLATE]: PRINT [TEMPLATE, LEFT-BRACKET,

   ^... you need this here.

Quote:

--

 `-_-'   Ar rug t barrg ar do mhactre inniu?
  'U`    <pfy> Sigs with pfy's markov chain.

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT

1. Douglas Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach (GEB) Book - BlooP & FlooP

2. Retrocomputing Museum Progress Report (http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/arti

3. Retrocomputing Museum Progress Report

4. 'is a quine' is a quine

5. Floops episode

6. 322e -- oops on Floops?

7. The Computer Museum searching for a working IBM 5100 running APL

8. 360 Nostalgia - Commercial Computing Museum WWW.

9. Making of List of 360/370 Sites for Museum

10. The PC and Software Museum

11. Computer History Museum tour and no sign of Forth

12. Forth at the Computer Museum