SNOBOL
Author Message
 SNOBOL

Could someone point me to some information on SNOBOL? Especially the history
and development of the language.

Thank you,
Kevin Van Heusen

Sat, 17 May 1997 07:32:50 GMT
 SNOBOL

: Could someone point me to some information on SNOBOL? Especially the history
: and development of the language.

: Thank you,
: Kevin Van Heusen

The usual reference is _The SNOBOL4 Programming Language_ by Griswold et.al.
I'm sure there are more recent books, but Griswold invented the language,
I think.

--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tandem Computers, Inc.
Of course, these are my views.  I'm not paid enough to express those
of my employer!

Mon, 19 May 1997 06:04:44 GMT
 SNOBOL

Quote:

>: Could someone point me to some information on SNOBOL? Especially the history
>: and development of the language.

>The usual reference is _The SNOBOL4 Programming Language_ by Griswold et.al.
>I'm sure there are more recent books, but Griswold invented the language,
>I think.

Yes, Ralph Griswold invented SNOBOL.  He wrote a paper on its history for the
first History of Programming Languages Conference in 1978.  The proceedings
appeared as SIGPLAN Notices, August 1978.  They have also been published in
book form.  I don't have that citation, but look under Richard L. Wexelblat as
the editor.

--

        - Allan Stavely, New Mexico Tech, USA

Tue, 20 May 1997 01:36:18 GMT
 SNOBOL
You might contact Ralph Griswold at U of Arizona, or ftp from
cs.arizona.edu.  I believe they still have a snobol library there.

I think there is also an article on the History of Snobol in an ACM/IEEE
issue on the History of Programming Languages.  I believe it was sponsored
by SIGPLAN and the conference occured in Sept. 1993.  You could
contact Richard Wexelblat at the IRS to find out.

Ed

: Could someone point me to some information on SNOBOL? Especially the history
: and development of the language.

: Thank you,
: Kevin Van Heusen

--
Edward A. Feustel, Research Staff Member
Institute for Defense Analyses           Phone: (703)-845-6657

Mon, 19 May 1997 20:09:16 GMT
 SNOBOL

Quote:
> Could someone point me to some information on SNOBOL? Especially the
> history and development of the language.

If you mean SNOBOL4, it came from SNOBOL[123], which was developed
by Bell Labs, back in 1962. There is a book out by Griswold, Poage, and
Polonsky that is pretty complete (printed in May '69, and Dec '69, and
probably later years too).

--

Shell Development Company, Bellaire Research Center  phone: (713) 245-7311
Member Team Ada                Free Ada94 compilers: cs.nyu.edu:/pub/gnat

Sat, 24 May 1997 06:07:15 GMT
 SNOBOL

: : Could someone point me to some information on SNOBOL? Especially the history
: : and development of the language.

: The usual reference is _The SNOBOL4 Programming Language_ by Griswold et.al.
: I'm sure there are more recent books, but Griswold invented the language,
: I think.

Also, for learning the actual language, you can look at a tutorial which
comes with vsnobol4 (availablie on the SIMTEL mirrors).  The file snobol.man
in the zip file is about 130 pages long, and goes through the whole language.
--

Sun, 25 May 1997 03:43:34 GMT

1. Snobol and APL for Unix

2. Snobol dead?

3. SNOBOL (Pattern matching language)

4. seeking PD SNOBOL compiler

5. snobol?

6. SNOBOL

7. REQUEST: Snobol or Spitbol for SGI

8. looking for SNOBOL

9. SnoPy 0.1 - SNOBOL pattern matching for Python

10. A Strange/Dumb SNOBOL/SPITBOL Question...

11. SNOBOL in U. of Illinois

12. Snobol and APL for Unix