- automated testing
- default input and multiple output arguments
and many more

You can find much more information at www.obix.lu

I would greatly appreciate getting feedback about things you like/dislike or
about other features that would simplify the programmer's life.

Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:57:01 GMT
 Obix language available

Quote:
> You can find much more information at www.obix.lu

I made an editing error; Obix is just a paper design that has never
been implemented.

Regards,
John Levine, comp.compilers moderator,

Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:45:48 GMT
 Obix language available

Quote:
> Hello everybody,

> About 1.5 years ago I started to develop a new, object-oriented programming
> language, called Obix. The motto I kept in mind from the beginning on is:
> increased
> - reliability
> - productivity
> - ease-of-use
> of professional software development

I started earlier 2002. my goal at the time was to make a scheme
system.  later I decided to get more creative, and branched it off
into my own language effort, then more recently to try to tie it a
little closer to more clasical scheme...

I am half considering an alternate syntax (besides my last syntax).
basic idea is:
line oriented;
block structuring;
infix notation.

basically it would be another mod on s-expressions, however I was
imagining that indentation would not matter and {...} could be used
for blocks. #{...}  could be similar but could inline multiple
expressions.  lines could be broken with '\'.

examples:
foo => (foo), basic lines are wrapped
foo x => (foo x), same
{x y} => (begin x y), blocks wrap basic contents in begin.
#{x y} => x y, this inlines.
foo \
x => (foo x)

blocks would allways try to merge with the last statement.

function fact (x)
#{
    if (x <= 1) 1 (x * (fact (x - 1)))

Quote:
}

of course this may not be worth implementing...

Quote:
> Obix has built-in features which I consider as indispensable for creating
> high quality software, but which are absent in most programming languages,
> such as:
> - design by contract
> - automated testing
> - default input and multiple output arguments
> and many more

a fair amount to claim.

Quote:
> You can find much more information at www.obix.lu

> I would greatly appreciate getting feedback about things you like/dislike
or
> about other features that would simplify the programmer's life.

quick skim. too tired to read much. seems a little vague. no comments I had
not seen given by others as of now.

I try to figure what I can achieve by trying to implement it, though I doubt
anyone believes me...

site:
http://bgb-sys.sourceforge.net/

yes, things are lame. I work on it...
I need a good/working/demonstratable system for me to try to demonstrate my
ideas (many of which are nothing new). demonstratable implies that I create
a demonstration, but doing stuff is effort... I like to try to code stuff,
more so than wanting to make demonstration stuff...

Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:52:02 GMT
 Obix language available
Obix is not just a paper design and it is neither an available language!

I'm working on an implementation since several months, but didn't publish
it, because it is not yet finished. As explained on www.obix.lu, I estimate
a first experimental public version to appear at the end of 2003.

The message as of July 14 (subject = "Obix language available") has not been
posted by me, but by somebody else who changed the subject of my initial
message as of July 6 (subject = "Obix").

Christian Neumanns

Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:11:47 GMT
 Obix language available
Quote:
> Obix is not just a paper design and it is neither an available language!

> I'm working on an implementation since several months, but didn't publish
> it, because it is not yet finished. As explained on www.obix.lu, I
estimate
> a first experimental public version to appear at the end of 2003.

> The message as of July 14 (subject = "Obix language available") has not
been
> posted by me, but by somebody else who changed the subject of my initial
> message as of July 6 (subject = "Obix").

from what I remember I had the first versions of my interpreter working
quickly, but then later endlessly redesigned to fix limitations/performance
issues that kept showing up.
by other standards though it is still pretty slow, it only pulls off about 1
million opcodes/second if running straight code. annoyingly to get better
performance would require more signifigant changes...

I had started implementing c-output code but never got around to
finishing/testing it...

Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:14:33 GMT
 Obix language available

Quote:

> quick skim. too tired to read much. seems a little vague. no comments I had
> not seen given by others as of now.

> I try to figure what I can achieve by trying to implement it, though I doubt
> anyone believes me...

> site:
> http://bgb-sys.sourceforge.net/

> yes, things are lame. I work on it...
> I need a good/working/demonstratable system for me to try to demonstrate my
> ideas (many of which are nothing new). demonstratable implies that I create
> a demonstration, but doing stuff is effort... I like to try to code stuff,
> more so than wanting to make demonstration stuff...

sooo, you don't have anything substantial to say about the poster's lingo,
you're just pointing to your own?

--

now i'm the

Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:24:48 GMT
 Obix language available

Quote:

> > quick skim. too tired to read much. seems a little vague. no comments I
had
> > not seen given by others as of now.

> > I try to figure what I can achieve by trying to implement it, though I
doubt
> > anyone believes me...

> > site:
> > http://bgb-sys.sourceforge.net/

> > yes, things are lame. I work on it...
> > I need a good/working/demonstratable system for me to try to demonstrate
my
> > ideas (many of which are nothing new). demonstratable implies that I
create
> > a demonstration, but doing stuff is effort... I like to try to code
stuff,
> > more so than wanting to make demonstration stuff...

> sooo, you don't have anything substantial to say about the poster's lingo,
> you're just pointing to your own?

not really, pretty much.

hell, I flog off my project since I don't think anyone would care otherwise
(though I am not sure referencing it helps much either though...).

Tue, 10 Jan 2006 07:33:51 GMT

1. Obix: prefixed identifiers

2. Obix - a step toward EASE-OF-USE of computers

3. Concept Languages (was:Re: Paper Available: Theorem Proving, Concept Languages)

4. "Eiffel: The Language" available in French

5. Proceedings of the Joint Modular Languages Conference available!

6. Eiffel: The Language not available

7. "Eiffel: The Language" available again

8. C++/Functional Language Integration Thesis available

9. WWW browsable papers on languages issues available

10. Postdoctoral Fellowship in Concurrent Functional Languages Available

11. Thesis on type inference for object-oriented languages available

12. Curl integrated content language beta available