COBOL?!#@?
Author Message
 COBOL?!#@?

Does anyone know of a PD, shareware, or inexpensive COBOL compiler
for an IBM PC/XT under MS-DOS? I am in the process of learning COBOL and
it would make the process alot easier if I could run COBOL at home.

Failing being able to find an inexpensive one, could anyone recommend
any COBOL for the IBM PC? (I might convince my money man that COBOL has
an engineering application ;-)

--
j                                UUCP: ...ihnp4!msudoc!eecae!lawitzke

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 10:29:00 GMT
 COBOL?!#@?

Quote:

>Does anyone know of a PD, shareware, or inexpensive COBOL compiler
>for an IBM PC/XT under MS-DOS? I am in the process of learning COBOL and
>it would make the process alot easier if I could run COBOL at home.

>Failing being able to find an inexpensive one, could anyone recommend
>any COBOL for the IBM PC? (I might convince my money man that COBOL has
>an engineering application ;-)

The best COBOL around has to be REALIA.  They are located in Chicago.  I
believe you can buy it for around $750.  Not inexpensive, but worth it.

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 08:57:00 GMT
 COBOL?!#@?

Quote:

>Does anyone know of a PD, shareware, or inexpensive COBOL compiler
>for an IBM PC/XT under MS-DOS?

The least expensive one of which I am aware is "Utah COBOL" from Ellis
Computing, (702) 827-3030; $69.95.  I have no idea of the quality.  Other
COBOL compilers which seem to be fairly highly regarded are from Microsoft,
Ryan-McFarland, and Realia, but those are all multi-hundred dollar jobs.
It seems to me that I remember a comparative review of COBOL implementations
on the PC perhaps 6 months or a year ago in BYTE or Computer Language; if
you have access to back issues, you might check there.
--
Non-disclaimer:  My boss and I always see eye-to-eye (every time I look in
the mirror).

...!genrad!mrst!sdti!wmm

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 11:44:00 GMT

1. COBOL COBOL COBOL

2. COBOL//COBOL//COBOL

3. COBOL COBOL COBOL

4. COBOL-COBOL-COBOL

5. How compatible are RM Cobol and MF Cobol.

6. IBM COBOL post-VS COBOL II

7. tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

8. Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX

9. Old RM-COBOL UNIX programmer seeking info on move to COBOL/400 on AS/400

10. cobol runtime error 46 for cobol 85

11. IBM COBOL to HP-UX COBOL

12. Differnece between Cobol and Cobol II