Help with RPGIII
Author Message
 Help with RPGIII

Hello there,

      First off let me say I am a COBOL programmer thrown the to RPG wolves.
Our shop owns a AS400 system running RPGIII, and I have the glorious task of
writing a small, but annoying program.

Situation/Problem:

      I am writing a simple extract program, reading in a transaction file and
using the key to extract records off of a master file. My problem is I don't
know the language real well.

     I'm looking at an existing program that reads one file and writes to
another, the write does not specify a record desc. to write from, therefore I
assume it is somehow taking what is in the I-O buffer. But I don't see how the
relationship is set up. Could someone explain what I am missing, the manual
says a RESULT field is required but the WRITE does not have one.

    When I try a similar operation all I get are blank records. Now why don't
I  just specify the input record description (ie: the master I'm writing
from), because the AS400 allows file/record names of up to 10 chars. and RPG
allows only 6 in the result field. If you have any idea of what I'm talking
about and can help I would greatly appretiate it.

    Also I posted this here because I could not find a newsgroup on RPG, is
there such an animal?

Thanks in advance

Bob Allen
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario

Sun, 01 Jun 1997 20:39:57 GMT

1. help! f90.help help help help

3. HELP HELP HELP HELP

4. HELP HELP HELP HELP

6. help help help help!!!!!!!!!!!

7. (HELP (HELP (HELP (HELP))))

8. HELP: HELP: HELP: HELP: Online-manual on Expect

9. Help Help Help

10. TopSpeed - ODBC 3.1???? HELP HELP HELP

11. HELP - HELP - HELP

12. HELP HELP HELP - round function error