Logo
Author Message
 Logo

My 5 (almost 6) year old son wants to learn more about computers.  I know plenty
about the subject (I have a Ph.D. in computer science) but I'm still trying to
figure out what I can teach him that he can understand now.  I'm considering
trying to teach him something about programming in Logo, which I've heard is
a good language for teaching children how to program.  Does anyone know where
I can get a version of Logo that I can run on an ancient '286 under DOS?

Kevin S. Van Horn     | It is the means that determine the ends.

Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:31:09 GMT
 Logo

|My 5 ... year old son wants to learn more about computers.  I know plenty
|about the subject (I have a Ph.D. in computer science) but I'm still trying to
|figure out what I can teach him that he can understand now.  I'm considering
|trying to teach him something about programming in Logo, which I've heard is
|a good language for teaching children how to program.  Does anyone know where
|I can get a version of Logo that I can run on an ancient '286 under DOS?

You can get logo software at oak.oakland.edu via anonymous ftp.  The Directory
you "cd" to is SimTel/msdos/logo. The contents of the directory is as follows:

 Filename   Type Length   Date   Description
doslogo.zip   B  208443  921107  LOGO Turtle Graphics for MS-DOS
ftlogo.zip    B    6647  920922  Interface for Fischertechnik robots & IBM LOGO
ladybug.zip   B  130981  910105  Graphics/sound lang. like LOGO Turtle Graphics
logo1.zip     B   27445  940302  Simplified version of LOGO language for DOS
logopat1.zip  B    9613  910128  Patch IBM LOGO for EGA/VGA/MCGA/386 w/TP55 src
mswext36.zip  B  282191  940213  Additional files for running MSWLogo w/Win3.0
mswlgo36.zip  B  810361  940213  LOGO programming lang. (Windows 3.1 required)
mswsrc36.zip  B  353989  940213  Source code for MSWLogo (Borland C++)

Good Luck!
--

               Willard C. Smith
     Pride is concerned with who is right   |   Phone: (708) 979-0024

Sat, 01 Mar 1997 18:45:37 GMT
 Logo

Quote:

>|My 5 ... year old son wants to learn more about computers.  I know plenty
>|about the subject (I have a Ph.D. in computer science) but I'm still trying to
>|figure out what I can teach him that he can understand now.  I'm considering
>|trying to teach him something about programming in Logo, which I've heard is
>|a good language for teaching children how to program.  Does anyone know where
>|I can get a version of Logo that I can run on an ancient '286 under DOS?

If you're interested in Logo, check out comp.lang.logo.  I have an old
(Nov. 93) FAQ from that group; I could mail a copy to anyone interested.
Among many other things, it lists sources for various versions of Logo.
There is, for example, a set of public-domain versions for DOS, Macs,
and Unix available by anonymous ftp from anarres.cs.berkeley.edu in
/pub/ucblogo.

I've used Logo with my sons (now aged 14, 11, and 8) with success for the
last 4 years.

--
Graham Mark
Los Alamos National Laboratory

Sat, 01 Mar 1997 21:48:25 GMT
 Logo

Quote:
VanHorn) writes:
>My 5 (almost 6) year old son wants to learn more about computers.  I know
>plenty about the subject (I have a Ph.D. in computer science) but I'm still
>trying to figure out what I can teach him that he can understand now.  I'm
>considering trying to teach him something about programming in Logo, which
>I've heard is a good language for teaching children how to program.  Does
>anyone know where I can get a version of Logo that I can run on an ancient '
>286 under DOS?

Willard has pointed you to the logo site at oak.oakland.edu and I would like
to point you to some recent books that look good to me. Are you familiar
with the How It Works series of computer books? There is PC Computing's *How
Computers Work* by White, *How Software Works*, *How DOS Works*, *How
Internet Works*, etc. I understand these books can be found at Sam's (
WalMart Buyer's Club). The illustrations are colorful and fanciful but the
concepts and information presented are sufficient for an {*filter*} to understand.

Good Luck.

Philip Hurley       |The information superhighway is great. There are
T.A.E.X.            |plenty of lanes, the speed is about right, I don't
Computer Technology |have any problem getting on. But I just wish I
(409) 845-9689      |could avoid that traffic jam in Washington.

Sat, 01 Mar 1997 22:12:54 GMT
 Logo

Quote:

>My 5 (almost 6) year old son wants to learn more about computers.  I know plenty
>about the subject (I have a Ph.D. in computer science) but I'm still trying to
>figure out what I can teach him that he can understand now.  I'm considering
>trying to teach him something about programming in Logo, which I've heard is
>a good language for teaching children how to program.  Does anyone know where
>I can get a version of Logo that I can run on an ancient '286 under DOS?

I'm the keeper of the comp.lang.logo faq & a homeschooling dad.
I've been lax in updating the faq this month, so I'll do it
before I go home today & post the most recent faq  in
misc.education.home-school.misc and comp.lang.logo.

For PCs, macs & UNIX/X there's a free ucblogo care of Brian Harvey
at Berkeley that's pretty nice, there's also a free enhancement for
windows (mswlogo) from George Mills of DEC that'sgreat for windows.
I did a graphical-template-driven-fractal-generator in '93 using
mswlogo that let's you use graphics to design graphical procedures.
It was plenty powerful.

For younger kids my feelings and results from working with my own
kids are that the jump from using drawing programs to creating graphical
programs should be smoother. Microworlds Logo from LCSI (see the faq)
is available for < $100 for mac & dos. I've gotten it for dos this summer
(just came out, mac's been around for about a year), and it's
pretty promising. Lets kids animate parts of their drawings using turtle
graphics functions. I want to update my fractal generator to allow
template editing using little iconic bend-branch-stretch, etc tools.
Some day I'll get time.

My kids have run hot and cold on Logo, but they've run hot & cold
on computing in general. Right now they're heavily into Gettysburg,
having watched the 5+ hour movie twice in two weeks, visited local
Pa. museums for artifacts & we're reading *Killer Angels* on which
the movie was based. After that we'll head down to Gettysburg
(2 hours away). So the computer at home has been a little
idle lately. Maybe after the cold comes.

Quote:
> (I have a Ph.D. in computer science)

Me, too, but I don't have any grad students or much free time.
If you have grad students, how about getting them to do some
research on sensorimotor programming, as contrasted with
symbol-based programming, for the pre-symbol-crunch crowd?

|    "These words are too solid, they don't move fast enough           |
|     to catch the blur in the brain that flies by, and is gone..."    |
|     Suzanne Vega                                                     |

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 02:32:47 GMT
 Logo

Quote:

> For younger kids my feelings and results from working with my own
> kids are that the jump from using drawing programs to creating graphical
> programs should be smoother. Microworlds Logo from LCSI (see the faq)

" (MicroWorlds) It'll require at least 2 meg of memory and a hard disk and
will run reasonable on a 33mhx 386 or 25 mhz 486. (slower machines ought
to work but wll be less fun)" Brian Silverman, President of LCSI

For a 286, your choices are Brian Harvey's pd Berkeley Logo (FTP from
cher.media.mit.edu), PC Logo from Harvard Associates (800) 776-4610 , and
LogoWriter, the forerunner to Microworlds, from LCSI (800) 321-LOGO).

--
Gary E. Bloom                             SoftWorlds for Children

Voice/Fax 206.672.2107            Edmonds, WA 98020  USA

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 07:47:24 GMT
 Logo
Anyone got a version of Logo for X-windows?
--
Peter da Silva                                            `-_-'
Network Management Technology Incorporated                 'U`

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 06:17:21 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

3. LOGO Design by LOGO-TOGO

4. LOGO-L> Welcome to logo-l

5. LOGO-L> Re: Dynamic scope in Logo

6. Different behaviour - UCBLOGO, MSW-LOGO, TKTS-LOGO

7. LOGO-L> INFO re SIG-LOGO

8. LOGO-L> Logo speed

9. LOGO-L> Logo foundation site

10. Different behaviour - UCBLOGO, MSW-LOGO, TKTS-LOGO

11. LOGO-L> Logo Workshops

12. LOGO-L> Logo for MAC