Dynamicly extending an application (during runtime).
Author Message
 Dynamicly extending an application (during runtime).

Quote:
> Is it possible to allow an application created with Forth
> to have it's own Forth, so as to allow the user to extend
> the application itself while using that application?

This question is important not for Forth alone but for
human-computer interfaces and for choosing a language.

Quote:
> For instance, an application which starts up as a generic,
>'bare-bones' window-based program which basically does nothing
> since the user would extend it to do whatever he or she wants
> (although there would have to be some basic stuff, obviously,
> at least enough to allow the user to call and create 'macros').

A scripting language such as ARexx on the Amiga lets the user
not only call other programs but pass data back and forth among
the separate applications, such as a telecommunications program
and a database.  With ARexx on the Amiga you can automate complex
tasks which would require drudgery using the standalone programs.

Quote:
> There could be some sets of common extensions which are created
> by users, the original developers and/or future developers, and
> are implemented as macros (I might be using the wrong term, but
> I think everyone understands what I am talking about).   This way
> the program could be extended into a text editor, spreadsheet, etc.
> very easily by merely calling a macro.   Or else a user could
> have exactly the application he or she wanted without having any
> unwanted extras, just by extending only those program attributes
> he or she is interested in.
> Everything up to here is doable without dynamic extensibility, I
> believe, but what if a user could change the program *while using it*?

Or what if the program wanted consciously to change itself during use?
http://www.*-*-*.com/
is public domain artificial intelligence that needs to be able to
adapt to how much RAM is available in its environment, and needs
to be able to run indefinitely without fear of a system crash
after "x" number of elapsed seconds or the arrival of a day in 2038.

Quote:
> So a particular feature could be added right when it is wanted instead
> of having to change the source, recompile (or whatever the term I
> should use is) and then restart the program.  This way one copy
> of the program could be used for virtually anything, possibly even
> with a user definable macro file in which a user can save extensions
> or sets of extensions he or she likes, so as to avoid retyping them in.

Extensions to Mind.Forth PD AI would be sensory memory channels beyond
the original auditory simulation, and robotic hardware control outputs.
The http://www.*-*-*.com/ high performance computing facility of the
Army Research Laboratory has recently put out a call for people to
do brain-modeling on their supercomputers, and Mind.Forth is a ready-
to-go platform for mind-modeling, but the description of software at
the ARL site seems to lack Forth.  Can most supercomputers use Forth?
Quote:
> A dynamically configurable program, starting as a generic program and
> able to be as specific or general as the user wants.   Basically a
> program which is completely changeable during runtime.

Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dynamicly extending an application (during runtime).
My e-mail response to your Usenet post (as quoted below) is also
being posted in order to keep the discussion broad and open.

Quote:

>> Extensions to Mind.Forth PD AI would be sensory memory channels beyond
>> the original auditory simulation, and robotic hardware control outputs.
>> The http://www.arl.hpc.mil high performance computing facility of the
>> Army Research Laboratory has recently put out a call for people to
>> do brain-modeling on their supercomputers, and Mind.Forth is a ready-
>> to-go platform for mind-modeling, but the description of software at
>> the ARL site seems to lack Forth.  Can most supercomputers use Forth?

> Hi,
> my company is in the process of initiating a Forth project to
> create a parallel operating shell for a cluster environment.
> If you wish to know more please email me.

Yes, thank you, I would very much like to know more, not only
about Nisoft but about any high performance computer systems
that offer a Forth implementation that could be used to work on
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/mind-fpc.html Mind.Forth.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/pdai.html is the start
of a series of Mind.Forth documentation pages which ought to link
to the Nisoft project -- if you publish a URL -- and to any other
Forth installations where insiders or outsiders could run MF PD AI.

Now hear this:  Any computing installation is welcome to adapt
Mind.Forth PD AI as a form of not quite benchmark but *testing*
software, so as to test such things as:
   - parallelism;
   - non-crashability over extended time-periods;
   - novel human-computer interfaces ("HCI");
   - neural modeling;
   - self-organization and "genetic algorithms";
   - employee motivation [(if you wish to retain the best)];

Quote:
> Best Regards
> Russell Willis

Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dynamicly extending an application (during runtime).

2. Adding Tab Panels on the fly during runtime

3. Disable menu items during runtime

4. VO 2.0 Filter List Box during runtime?

5. creating controls during runtime in LV501?

6. Interacting with DOS executable during runtime.

7. Changing interpreter options during runtime

8. Destructive interference during elaboration in Gnat 2.07 runtime

9. DSN access in program during runtime

10. g77 segmentation fault possible error allocating large arrays during runtime

11. BWidgets -adding new menu items during runtime

12. shortcut for my application on desktop during the installation