request: learning about metalanguages
Author Message
 request: learning about metalanguages

Hi .

I've to learn something about metalanguages.
what are they ?? what they are useful to ??

If you know where to get informations, please send me the links .

thanks in advance

GianLuca

Sat, 16 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 request: learning about metalanguages
A metalanguage is a language used to talk
about other languages.   Its a 19th/20th
century idea.   The most famous one
(IMHO) was Backus Naur Form used to
define the syntax of Algol 60.  Many extensions
and variations have been invented and
are still in use.... look in the back of
any real proramming language reference
manual:-)

The following points to a collection of
samples that includes some syntax metalanguages:
http://www.csci.csusb.edu/dick/samples/#Miscelaneous Notations

The following
http://www.csci.csusb.edu/dick/samples/comp.text.Meta.html
defines Three
Syntactic meta-languages: BNF, BS6154, XBNF

rbotting at CSUSB edu
Computer Scientist, Sys Admin, Consultant, Researcher, and Reviewer
http://www.csci.csusb.edu/dick

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. OpenWorld Learning Request For Quotes

2. OpenWorld Learning Request For Quotes

3. Help requested re learning cobol on MVS, using ISPF, JCL, TSO, etc

4. Learning Prolog: suggestions request.

5. syntax metalanguage vs end if

6. Syntax metalanguage vs end if

7. Syntax metalanguage vs end if (or: Algol vs anything else)

8. Syntax metalanguage vs end if

9. The GOOD IDEA (was: Syntax metalanguage vs end if)

10. Syntax metalanguage vs end if

11. Metalanguage (v0.3) for mxTextTools

12. Perl as its own metalanguage?