sml info
Author Message
 sml info

Hello netlanders,

I have been doing some work with functional programming languages (well
with fp) and have heard about sml (standard ml) but I can not seem
to find any information on it.  Is there anyone out there who has
worked with sml; has references or actual manuals, papers, etc on line
which they could e-mail me; and where or how does one acquire a copy
of the system? (have I forgotten anything? :-) )
Since I have nothing so far, I would appreciate any information you
can provide.

Thanx in advance,
--
David Wood
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

uucp:   ...!{akgua,allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,seismo,ulysses}!gatech!wood

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 16:24:00 GMT
 sml info

The language ML has been around quite a while, and Standard ML is a recent
attempt to standardize it.  I mention this because there is a larger
literature on previous versions of ML than there is on Standard ML.
Here are some places to look:

Original ML (this was not a stand-alone language processor; rather, ML
  was a kind of overgrown command language for a proof system called LCF):

  Gordon et al, A Metalanguage for Interactive Proof in LCF, 5th POPL, 1978

  Gordon et al, Edinburgh LCF, Springer LNCS 78

Cardelli ML (a stand-alone version implemented by L. Cardelli):

  Cardelli, ML under UNIX, Bell Labs Tech. Memo.  (I don't have any other
     publication info.)

Standard ML:

  Milner, A Proposal for Standard ML, Symp. on Lisp and F. P., 1984,
    184-197

The latter is the only reference I can find describing Standard ML itself,
and it is not intended for the beginner - in fact, it is one of the most
terse language descriptions I've ever seen.

As far as obtaining a copy, Dave MacQueen (Bell Labs) and Andrew Appel
(Princeton) are nearing completion of a new implementation (Vax and 68020),
as reported in a recent paper:

  MacQueen and Appel, A Standard ML Compiler, Symp. on Functional P. L.'s
   and Computer Arch, 1987, Springer LNCS 274.

I suggest writing to MacQueen (Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ 07974) or
Appel (Dept. of C.S., Princeton U., Princeton, NJ 08544).

Sam Kamin
U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 10:15:00 GMT
 sml info

Quote:

>Michael Schmidt writes (neulich shrieb):
>> there is no concept of rewrites in ML

>Correct. But there is a large sublanguage of ML that does
>have a rewrite semantics.
>One can apply equational reasoning to programs written in the
>sublanguage. (I'm ignoring the problem of partial functions,
>like most people who work with strict functional languages).

Forgive my mathematical ignorance here - but, by "partial" do you mean
nonterminating, or undefined for some arguments?
   You can't have exceptions and maintain the applicative property of your
sublanguage, since you've lost referential transparency - for example,

        fun f() = raise F
        fun g() = raise G
        val x = f() + g()
                handle F => 1   ||
                       G => 2

The evaluation order becomes important. If you omit exceptions, then you've got
to define some behaviour for "head(nil)" - or is this what you mean by
partial?
   You *can* have exceptions in a pure functional language, if you treat
exceptions as special values - I did this for the language described in
my thesis, precisely for this reason. There's an implementation overhead,
and you have to program some things slightly differently, but it works...
--
Nick Rothwell,  Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.

                <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick
~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten."   - Herne

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 12:19:00 GMT

1. Seeking info on Rachel Harrison's ADT/SML text

2. Outputting info from awk and using the info to name the awk output file

3. ACTOR: info & info request

4. BIOS Code space, memory map, fs info, and exec format info

5. FAT info and Disk info please!

6. Q about [info args] and [info default]

7. TIP #178: [info pid] and [info tid] subcommands

8. Tigre 2.0 Info now avail - more info!

9. Sources.sml

10. Gtk+ bindings for SML/NJ

11. SML/NJ real array

12. *** ANNOUNCE: SML/NJ working version 110.42 available ***