Which Lang?
Author Message
 Which Lang?

Hello.

      I am interested in game programming and was wondering which
language to try.  I know a little in QBasic and Modula-2. It seems
that C/C++ are the major languages today. I am thinking of trying C
out. Should I?  If not which language should I try. Java maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Thu, 17 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which Lang?

 There is no question that C/C++ dominates game programing. Its the
language
to use partialy because there are so many tools out there to help generate
high quality games. Everything from level editors to cross platform
compilers.
You can download buckets of  source code to see the techniques involved
in writning professional looking games.
 Java is based C++. Its a pure object oriented language,ie. everythings an
object.
 Its interesting that you know Modula-2. Most other people on the planet
would have written "I Know QBasic and Pascal". Since they are both
Nichloas Wirth languages the syntax is almost identical, so learning
pascal would be easy. Borland dominates the market so there is plenty of
support, They even have visual pascal ie. Delphi wich blows Visual Basic
away(because its not interpeted).And the enviroment is almost identical, I
wonder how they get away with that,
 Anyway, go with C/C++ and develop a usefull skill.

Thu, 17 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which Lang?

If the games are for yourself, or you just plan on distributing
binary executables, then the language doesn't matter.  Use the language
with which you are most familar or a derivative.  I have heard lots of
good comments about Modula3 for instance.

If however, you are wanting to leave a different language, and are wanting
to learn new toolsets, etc.  there certainly are plenty of alternatives
available.  If you are primarily interested in developing for the MS-DOS
windows environment, I am sure there is at least one newsgroup dedicated
to that environment where you can get tips on the best toolsets, etc.
If developing for the Mac, the same thing goes.  If you are developing for
Unix, try over in the comp.windows.x newsgroup for some tips.
--

:s <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."
:s Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should

Sat, 19 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. RFD: alt.lang.asm.68k, alt.lang.asm.x86, alt.lang

2. net.lang.apl is being renamed comp.lang.apl

3. Modula2 Ver 3.1 lang specs vs lang specs of 32bit compiler inc in new cw203

4. Modula2 Ver 3.1 lang specs vs lang specs of 32bit compiler inc in n

5. Comp.Lang.Clarion and Comp.Lang.Clarion

6. comp.lang.forth and Comp.lang.pop

7. archives for comp.lang.forth and comp.lang.forth.mac

8. net.lang.forth is being renamed comp.lang.forth

9. RFD: comp.lang.ruby (getting Ruby out of comp.lang.misc)

10. net.lang.mod2 is being renamed comp.lang.modula2

11. Welcome to alt.lang.fortran (formerly alt.lang.pl1)

12. alt.lang.focal - more thoughts (was Re: alt.lang.focal)