Origin of "curried"
Author Message
 Origin of "curried"

The discussion of "dope vector"'s etymology reminds me -- what
is the origin of the obligatory "curried add" in lisp examples?
Have you ever encountered this sense of "curry" elsewhere?

Mon, 13 Feb 1995 02:43:02 GMT
 Origin of "curried"

|> The discussion of "dope vector"'s etymology reminds me -- what
|> is the origin of the obligatory "curried add" in lisp examples?
|> Have you ever encountered this sense of "curry" elsewhere?

Of course this comes from Haskell B. Curry, the American mathematician
and logician who helped make this way of thinking widespread as part
of his (and others') development of combinatory logic.  The act of
currying was invented by Moses Schoenfinkel in 1924. (This comes from
MacLennan's book.)

Guess what else has been done with his name.  Yes, the lazy functional
language Haskell is named for him.

Quel whimsy!

--
|--------------------------------------------------------------|

| Computer Science Department      Voice: 303/491-5792         |
| Colorado State University        Fax:   303/491-6639         |
| Fort Collins, CO  80523                                      |
|--------------------------------------------------------------|
| Three outstanding attitudes---obliviousness to the growing   |
| disaffection of constituents, primacy of self-aggrandizement,|
| and the illusion of invulnerable status---are persistent     |
| aspects of folly.   ---Barbara Tuchman, "The March of Folly" |
|--------------------------------------------------------------|

Mon, 13 Feb 1995 22:22:27 GMT
 Origin of "curried"
: The discussion of "dope vector"'s etymology reminds me -- what
: is the origin of the obligatory "curried add" in lisp examples?
: Have you ever encountered this sense of "curry" elsewhere?
Haskell B. Curry did quite a bit work in formal logic and lambda calculus, and
thus his name is used for the method to treat multi-parameter functions as
functions of one parameter yielding further functions.

E.g. instead of add x y = x + y  (assume "+" to be primitive here), you could
define          add x   = lambda y . x + y
and             add1    = add 1
by replacement  add1    = lambda y . 1 + y
etc.

  *  wonder everyday    *    nothing in particular    *    all is special  *

Mon, 13 Feb 1995 22:30:43 GMT
 Origin of "curried"

Quote:
>   The discussion of "dope vector"'s etymology reminds me -- what
>  is the origin of the obligatory "curried add" in lisp examples?
>  Have you ever encountered this sense of "curry" elsewhere?

    I came across the term "currying" in my Prog. Lang. Course, in
Scheme and Lambda Calculus.

It was essentially breaking up say n arguments to a function as n functions
taking one argument each, but both methods producing the same result,

eg

        (lambda (x y z)  body)

         (lambda (x) (lambda (y) ( lambda (z)  body) body) body)

Ganesh

Tue, 14 Feb 1995 00:54:11 GMT
 Origin of "curried"

Quote:
> The discussion of "dope vector"'s etymology reminds me -- what
> is the origin of the obligatory "curried add" in lisp examples?

Named after Haskell B. Curry.  Coined by David Turner at the time he was
working on SASL.  I've always thought the culinary analogy ought to be
"schongefilte" instead - Schonfinkel invented the idea, not Curry, and
the word suggests removing something rather than, like "currying", adding
extra ingredients.  Schonfinkel's original 1924 paper is translated in
Jean van Heijenoort's "A Source Book in Mathematical Logic".

Incidentally, does "Iliffe vector" predate "dope vector"?  It was the usual
word for the concept in the UK for a long time - did Iliffe use them in
Manchester in the mid-50s?  If so, in what language or machine?

--
--  Jack Campin    room G092, Computing Science Department, Glasgow University,
17 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8RZ, Scotland   TEL: 041 339 8855 x6854 (work)

Tue, 14 Feb 1995 00:02:59 GMT
 Origin of "curried"

Quote:

>                   I've always thought the culinary analogy ought to be
> "schongefilte" instead - Schonfinkel invented the idea, not Curry, and
> the word suggests removing something rather than, like "currying", adding
> extra ingredients.

I've always thought of it like currying a horse, not currying a meal.
--
Peter da Silva                                               `-_-'
$ EDIT/TECO LOVE                                              'U`

Wed, 15 Feb 1995 02:45:22 GMT
 Origin of "curried"

<28 Aug 92 18:45:22 GMT> :

Quote:

>>                   I've always thought the culinary analogy ought to be
>> "schongefilte" instead - Schonfinkel invented the idea, not Curry, and
>> the word suggests removing something rather than, like "currying", adding
>> extra ingredients.

>I've always thought of it like currying a horse, not currying a meal.

   Probably it is Curry who is popularly attributed with inventing the operation

rather than Schoenfinkel ?

( The Amerigo Vespuchi/Christopher Columbus phenomenon in reverse ? )

   - Probal Shome.

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 01:54:33 GMT
 Origin of "curried"

Quote:
>The discussion of "dope vector"'s etymology reminds me -- what
>is the origin of the obligatory "curried add" in lisp examples?

... comes from a mathematician named Curry !

Quote:
>Have you ever encountered this sense of "curry" elsewhere?

probably in the litterature about the programming language SPICE ?

M Billaud

PS: Yes, take it with a grain of salt.
--

Departement d'Informatique     :  phone W: 56.84.57.92  // 56.84.69.22
IUT "A", Universite Bordeaux I :  "Je veux jouer de l'helicon

Wed, 15 Feb 1995 16:27:54 GMT

1. Origin of "John Doe"

2. Origin of "John Doe"

3. Origin of "Factoring"

4. Origin of phrase "Hard Fun"

5. Origin of "dope vector"

6. Origin of the term "syntactic sugar"

7. Origin "DO error causes spacecraft failure"

8. origin of "arity"

9. origin of "arity"

10. Origin of "Smalltalk" - another theory

11. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")