RFD: comp.lang.ruby (getting Ruby out of comp.lang.misc)
Author Message
 RFD: comp.lang.ruby (getting Ruby out of comp.lang.misc)

Quote:

> > A couple of weeks back I suggested that all the ruby traffic in
> > comp.lang.misc would likely annoy regular readers of that group.  Here
are
> > two examples:

> [...]
> > Agreed. c.l.m. is surely for discussion of comparative languages
> > and for general principls of programming languages, not for in-depth
> > discussion of one particular (and from what I can see of it, not very
> > interesting) programming language.

> Sadly, that poster is mistaken as to the purpose of comp.lang.misc.  It
> is an unchartered newsgroup, but its tag line is clear as to the
> purpose:

> For your newsgroups file:
> comp.lang.misc Different computer languages not specifically listed.

Well, despite the grief-stricken divergence of "historical founding purpose"
(which seems perfectly reasonable) and the seemingly presently prevailing
case of "perceived purpose served" (which seems even better, and perhaps
deserving of another newsgroup), there is a glimmer of hope:

<....>
A Proponent Questionnaire (PQ) is on file for the following proposal.
We are actively seeking a votetaker for this proposal so that it may
proceed to the CFV phase.

PROPOSAL [RFD #]                       First RFD[Age]  Last RFD[Age]    PQ
comp.lang.ruby [1]                       16 Feb [ 29]   16 Feb [ 29]  14 Mar
<....>

Conrad

Mon, 02 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 RFD: comp.lang.ruby (getting Ruby out of comp.lang.misc)

Quote:

> > > A couple of weeks back I suggested that all the ruby traffic in
> > > comp.lang.misc would likely annoy regular readers of that group.  Here
> are
> > > two examples:
> > [...]
> > > Agreed. c.l.m. is surely for discussion of comparative languages
> > > and for general principls of programming languages, not for in-depth
> > > discussion of one particular (and from what I can see of it, not very
> > > interesting) programming language.
> > Sadly, that poster is mistaken as to the purpose of comp.lang.misc.  It
> > is an unchartered newsgroup, but its tag line is clear as to the
> > purpose:

> > For your newsgroups file:
> > comp.lang.misc Different computer languages not specifically listed.
> Well, despite the grief-stricken divergence of "historical founding purpose"
> (which seems perfectly reasonable) and the seemingly presently prevailing
> case of "perceived purpose served" (which seems even better, and perhaps
> deserving of another newsgroup), there is a glimmer of hope:

> <....>
> A Proponent Questionnaire (PQ) is on file for the following proposal.
> We are actively seeking a votetaker for this proposal so that it may
> proceed to the CFV phase.

> PROPOSAL [RFD #]                       First RFD[Age]  Last RFD[Age]    PQ
> comp.lang.ruby [1]                       16 Feb [ 29]   16 Feb [ 29]  14 Mar
> <....>

> Conrad

I quickly scanned clm in Deja News for articles with "ruby" in the
header.  I found a couple that seemed to deal with Japanese language
articles .... this is going to be a bi-lingual group?  Pardon my
denseness, please, I've been ill the last couple weeks.

B/

Mon, 02 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 RFD: comp.lang.ruby (getting Ruby out of comp.lang.misc)

Quote:
> I quickly scanned clm in Deja News for articles with "ruby" in the
> header.  I found a couple that seemed to deal with Japanese language
> articles .... this is going to be a bi-lingual group?

The majority of the Japanese-language postings will end up in
fj.comp.lang.ruby.  Since there are a large number of Japanese users of
the language, I would imagine there will periodically be people who will
post in Japanese, but the intention would seem to be to create an English
language group given that a Japanese language group already exists.

--

Mon, 02 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 RFD: comp.lang.ruby (getting Ruby out of comp.lang.misc)

Quote:

> > I quickly scanned clm in Deja News for articles with "ruby" in the
> > header.  I found a couple that seemed to deal with Japanese language
> > articles .... this is going to be a bi-lingual group?
> The majority of the Japanese-language postings will end up in
> fj.comp.lang.ruby.  Since there are a large number of Japanese users of
> the language, I would imagine there will periodically be people who will
> post in Japanese, but the intention would seem to be to create an English
> language group given that a Japanese language group already exists.

OK.

I was scanning the group because of the objection about the allegation
that ruby was overwhelming the group.  I wanted to see what the
subjective number of posts were to considered "overwhelming."  Without
doing an exhaustive study, I saw (using ruby as the key word) there's ~3
articles a day for the last month.  Out of the last hundred posts that
Deja has archived, there are ~25 articles.  That's enough for me to
abstain.  I was picking a couple at random to be sure I wasn't looking
at the articles complaining about the language when I ran across the