Programming languages
Author Message
 Programming languages

Does anyone have a list about all the programming languages? Thanks.

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Programming languages
No.  There are undoubtably some obscure languages that were known to
only a few people, and newer languages that haven't made it onto a
list.  The closest you cam come is probably Bill Kinnersley's Language
List, which can be serched for on the net.  The most usefull version
of his list is the hypertext search version at

http://cuiwww.unige.ch/langlist

Has he done anything with the list in the past year and a half?  The
latest version I can find is 2.4 from early 1995.  Since this version
was published several new languages and dialects have appeared that
may be important (for example):

Ada 9x has become Ada 95
Java
Guile
fortran 9x
Delphi

Along with numerous other languages that met his criteria for
inclusion.

--

William B. Clodius              Phone: (505)-665-9370

Los Alamos, NM 87545

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Programming languages

Quote:

>No.  There are undoubtably some obscure languages that were known to
>only a few people, and newer languages that haven't made it onto a
>list.  The closest you cam come is probably Bill Kinnersley's Language
>List, which can be serched for on the net.  The most usefull version
>of his list is the hypertext search version at

>http://cuiwww.unige.ch/langlist

>Has he done anything with the list in the past year and a half?  The
>latest version I can find is 2.4 from early 1995.  Since this version
>was published several new languages and dialects have appeared that
>may be important (for example):

                        .
                        .
                        .
I move that one of the members now present contact Mr.
Kinnersley, determine what his plans are, and offer to
take over the chore.

No, what I truly think will happen is that someone just
starts doing that (probably around 2:00 some morning),
with no committee involvement, or Five-Year Budget, or
allied impedimenta.  I'm just writing this to ask if
anyone happens to know already how Mr. Kinnersley feels
about it, or if (as I suspect and do not relish) it's
going to be necessary to track him down.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

                        +1 713 996 8546 FAX

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Programming languages

What about the compilers and interpreters list that's posted pretty regularly
by Steven Robenalt?  It just showed up in this newsgroup on July 1st.
It's focus is languages which are currently available rather than ones
that once existed but cannot be located now, but I would think that if
someone wanted to focus on obsolete languages, that would be an interesting
historical effort in and of itself, deserving to be available.
--

:s <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."
:s Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should

Sat, 19 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. A Language Primer required for A Programming Language

2. Use a new language: Structured Programming Language

3. The Icon Programming Language (was: Discussions of languages)

4. Programming languages and communication languages

5. languages in programming languages

6. SAC '96 Programming Languages Track: Final Program

7. Scriptometer: measuring the ease of SOP (Script Oriented Programming) of programming languages

8. Help me evaluate computer programming languages and know what kind of programs are in demand

9. CFP: PLILP93 Programming Language Implementation and Logic Programming

10. CFP: PLILP'93 (Programming Language Implementation and Logic Programming)

11. SAC '96 Programming Languages Track: Final Program

12. Scriptometer: measuring the ease of SOP (Script Oriented Programming) of programming languages