Chomsky
Author Message
 Chomsky

Quote:

>Hi! I've been reading a bit about Chomsky's linguistics lately. I'm very
>impressed by it, but I've been told that he's been discredited in all
>sorts of ways. If this is so, can anyone let me (a non-linguist) know
>about a book or article which summarises the 'state of play' at the
>moment? Sad to say, I wouldn't know where to look.

                        .
                        .
                        .
The denizens of sci.lang will best answer you.
--

Cameron Laird           http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~claird/home.html

Fri, 19 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Chomsky

: >Hi! I've been reading a bit about Chomsky's linguistics lately. I'm very
: >impressed by it, but I've been told that he's been discredited in all
: >sorts of ways. If this is so, can anyone let me (a non-linguist) know
: >about a book or article which summarises the 'state of play' at the
: >moment? Sad to say, I wouldn't know where to look.
:                       .
:                       .
:                       .
: The denizens of sci.lang will best answer you.
: --

I think it's silly to say Chomsky is "discredited".  His work has been
and continues to be very important and influential in linguistics.
There are plenty of linguists who disagree with some of his theories,
and with one anothers' theories, also.  I haven't seen anything I could
recommend which gives a fair summary of what's going on now in
linguistics.

--

Fri, 19 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. chomsky

2. Web Site for Chomsky and Prolog

3. Web Site for Chomsky and LISP

4. How to start? (Was: Chomsky, Languages, etc.)

5. Chomsky, Languages, etc. (was Re: Ousterhout and Tcl...)