Q: Multithreaded interpreters?
Author Message
 Q: Multithreaded interpreters?

Hello All,

I'm looking after multi-threaded (published) interpreters. By
multi-threaded, I mean supporting POSIX pthreads (or something very
near, like Solaris threads). By interpreter, I'm looking after some
scheme, or ML, or Tcl, etc... interpreted language. A bytecode virtual
machine is ok. So I want that the actual interpreted code runs several
thread, so that several threads run (concurrently, and with
synchronization) interpreted code.

I know about Java.

I'm not looking about user level implementations of threads in the
interpreted language (like for instance, CAML, which has a thread
package; but threads actually where interpreted at the language level;
the CAML thread package is built above a call/cc primitive).

I'm also interested about multi-threaded garbage collection.

My emphasis is about implementations. I did read a few papers about
(for instance) multiprocessing (or even distributed) GC..

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are solely mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Please cite a *pertinent part* of my mail in all answers
Veuillez citer une *partie pertinente* de mon courrier dans vos reponses

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   ----  Commissariat l Energie Atomique
DRN/DMT/SERMA * CEA/Saclay bat.470 * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX * France
fax: (33) [1] 69.08.85.68; phone: 69.08.40.66; homephone: 46.65.45.53

I speak french, english, russian. Je parle fran?ais, anglais, russe.

Fri, 18 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Multithreaded interpreters?

|> By interpreter, I'm looking after some
|> scheme, or ML, or Tcl, etc... interpreted language. A bytecode virtual
|> machine is ok. So I want that the actual interpreted code runs several
|> thread, so that several threads run (concurrently, and with
|> synchronization) interpreted code.

You should look at Erlang. Erlang is a symbolic, concurrent, single
assignment, functional programming languages where primitives for
processes (threads), synchronization and communication are part of the
language, and of course part of the implementation of the language.
Erlang allows its processes to be distributed over neworks of
computers which can be of different architectures and operating
systems. Communication between Erlang processes on different computers
is exactly the same as communication between processes on the same
computer.

|> I'm also interested about multi-threaded garbage collection.

Erlang has a garbage collection scheme on a "per thread" basis.
This is real time enough for our very large telecomunication
applications for which we use Erlang (i.e. applications with
thousand of processes and 250000 lines of code).

Look at:

http://www.ericsson.se/cslab/erlang/
and
http://www.ericsson.se/erlang/

---

Mike Williams

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Multithreaded interpreters?

Quote:

Basile> I'm looking after multi-threaded (published) interpreters. By
Basile> multi-threaded, I mean supporting POSIX pthreads (or something very
Basile> near, like Solaris threads). By interpreter, I'm looking after some
Basile> scheme, or ML, or Tcl, etc... interpreted language. A bytecode virtual
Basile> machine is ok. So I want that the actual interpreted code runs several
Basile> thread, so that several threads run (concurrently, and with
Basile> synchronization) interpreted code.

Basile> I'm also interested about multi-threaded garbage collection.

Basile> My emphasis is about implementations. I did read a few papers about
Basile> (for instance) multiprocessing (or even distributed) GC..

Take a look at Obliq
(http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/Obliq/Obliq.html) which is a
distributed language written in Modula-3.

The language has threads, exceptions and garbage
collection (by virtue of being implemented in Modula-3).  The modula-3
source is also available.
--

smail: Dept. of Computer Science, 450 Computer Science Building, 500 W 120 St.
       Columbia University, New York, NY 10027

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Multithreaded interpreters?

: Basile> I'm looking after multi-threaded (published) interpreters.

What you are asking for is... Java!

It's a flavor-of-the-month language that the time spent in learning
will most certainly pay off, as well.

-Brian
--
   ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.
  /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \

__,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.__

Tue, 29 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Q: Multithreaded interpreters?

2. Multithreaded scheme interpreter

3. Raising an exception from a multithreaded embedded Python interpreter trace function

4. several Qs

5. Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

6. Qs

7. Qs about language nomenclature

8. New newbies Qs on Ruby

9. Newbie Qs: startup time, Module.constants, chdir, Ruby distro's library

10. Qs on Ruby and DbC/Smalltalk

11. 2 Qs: IndexedFaceSets & browsers

12. Qs re 'Write & 'Read