Connecting a regular telephone to a computers serial port
Author Message
 Connecting a regular telephone to a computers serial port

Hello all!
I am not sure what ng tp post this one to, but I hope someone will be able
to help in this one.

I would like to be able to "read" buttons pressed on a telephone. The way I
think to go about this is to combine the end of the telephone wire from the
telephone with for example a serial cable, and then plug it in to the the
computers serial port.
I am not sure if this a possible construction, but if it is, how are the
"pins" in the telephone wire to be combined with the serial cable pins?
Then I would like to write a little program which reads the buttons pressed
on the telephone.

Does anybody know how something like this could be acomplished?

Cheers,
Markus

Thu, 11 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Connecting a regular telephone to a computers serial port

Quote:

> I am not sure what ng tp post this one to, but I hope someone will be able
> to help in this one.

> I would like to be able to "read" buttons pressed on a telephone. The way I
> think to go about this is to combine the end of the telephone wire from the
> telephone with for example a serial cable, and then plug it in to the the
> computers serial port.
> I am not sure if this a possible construction, but if it is, how are the
> "pins" in the telephone wire to be combined with the serial cable pins?
> Then I would like to write a little program which reads the buttons pressed
> on the telephone.

You would need some kind of interface, so as to avoud destroying
the serial port.
Quote:
> Does anybody know how something like this could be acomplished?

> Cheers,
> Markus

Fri, 12 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Connecting a regular telephone to a computers serial port

Quote:
> Hello all!
> I am not sure what ng tp post this one to, but I hope someone will be able
> to help in this one.

> I would like to be able to "read" buttons pressed on a telephone. The way
> think to go about this is to combine the end of the telephone wire from
the
> telephone with for example a serial cable, and then plug it in to the the
> computers serial port.

That's a good way to fry a computer. Ask almost any "ham" radio operator, or
look
thru some amateur radio magazines. They have info on decoders that do this.
Some you build, others you can buy off the shelf.

Irv

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using Serial Port to send mouse actions to remote computers mouse port

2. Connect to Ge Fanuc using Serial port?

3. Connect to Ge Fanuc using Serial port?

4. How to control a device connected to serial port

5. fileevent connecting serial ports

6. Computer Telephone Integration (CTI)

7. connecting port of mode OUT with port of mode BUFFER

8. Serial Error 0x4002 (Error 16386, character was lost by overwrite / serial port overrun error)

9. trouble with serial communication (serial port init.vi)

10. REQUEST: Serial port code for processing serial mouse data

11. Port I/O through serial port on sound card

12. Com port and command with serial port